Learning To Drive

holidaybob

Hi

I'd like to find some information about learning to drive in Thailand. I do not hold a UK license but Is possible to have lessons take a driving test, if there is one, and get a Thai driving license. Are there any restriction or special regulations for farangs.

I have been here for nearly 2 years on a non immigrant O visa + extension Thai wife basis.

Any advise would helpful.

Cheers holidaybob :o

Hi

I'd like to find some information about learning to drive in Thailand. I do not hold a UK license but Is possible to have lessons take a driving test, if there is one, and get a Thai driving license. Are there any restriction or special regulations for farangs.

I have been here for nearly 2 years on a non immigrant O visa + extension Thai wife basis.

Any advise would helpful.

Cheers holidaybob :o

I know that it is definitely possible as I have thought about doing the same.

As well as your proof of non-o visa you also need proof of address.

If you are comfortable speaking Thai then getting an instructuor will be a breeze.

If not you may need to look a bit harder depending where you live.

There is a theory and practical test.

There was a fantastic thread a few months ago with everything you need to know.

Try under the motor section of this forum.

Rules of the Road - Thai Style

• A vehicle following you no closer than 10 cm is not considered to be tailgating.
  • If the driver in front of you, especially a truck, flashes his left turn signal a few times, he may be telling you that it is safe to pass. But he may be wrong.
  • If the driver in front of you, especially a truck, flashes his right turn signal a few times, he may be telling you that it is not safe to pass. And he will usually be right.
  • If a driver approaching from the opposite direction flashes his headlights it may mean, "police ahead, watch your speed", or "don't pass that car, you fool, I'm coming too fast!" or "I have screwed up big time by trying pass this vehicle so please give me some room by heading for the shoulder."
  • The largest vehicle has the right of way, except elephants always have the right of way and water buffalos come second.
  • Expect buses, especially orange ones, to overtake on curves, hills and as you are approaching from the opposite direction.
  • If you are on a motorcycle, and see an oncoming bus, expect another bus to overtake it; especially if the road has no shoulders.
  • If you are overtaking a vehicle, expect another driver to decide to overtake you at the same time.
  • If you are on a motorcycle or bicycle, keep as careful a watch behind as in front of you.
  • If you have an accident, you will most likely be blamed.
  • Learn to read the Thai script for Man and Lady for service station restrooms