Send Money Without Bank Account

Forkinhades

Can anybody tell me if it possible to send money to Thailand to someone that does not have a bank account?

DO NOT SEND CASH INSIDE AN ENVOLOPE. Even if it is very well hidden inside the envolope. It will not get there, guarnteed :o

Try Western Union.

Hi, if this is to be a long term, regular sending then it may pay you to open a Nationwide flex account with a simple ATM card but not a debit card. Send the card to whoever is to recieve the cash. When they are in possession of the card give them the pin either over the phone or by SMS.All you then need do is put the amount you want the person to have and they simply go to any iternational ATM machine and withdraw it.You are not charged for this and the exchange rate is not too bad. Western Union can work out expensive if it is a regular thing.Hope it helped :o

Hi, if this is to be a long term, regular sending then it may pay you to open a Nationwide flex account with a simple ATM card but not a debit card. Send the card to whoever is to recieve the cash. When they are in possession of the card give them the pin either over the phone or by SMS.All you then need do is put the amount you want the person to have and they simply go to any iternational ATM machine and withdraw it.You are not charged for this and the exchange rate is not too bad. Western Union can work out expensive if it is a regular thing.Hope it helped :o

Not bad for your first post.

Nationwide Debit Card, thats OK if you are British, but these cards can still overdraw and you are liable to make good the account.

Another Idea, I seam to recall that Lloyd's-TSB is moving away from issuing Travers Cheques to a pre-charged card that can only be used for withdrawing cash at ATM's worldwide, you will not be able to overdraw on these cards but you can top them up.

BB

Hi Basil B I think if you read the post again I did state an ordinary ATM card not a debit card. With just an ATM card you CANNOT overdraw and the person with the card can only withdraw what is in the account. Cheers Dunc :o

Quite right deepdownanddirty, that's what we use.

I used to use Western Union but it can get expensive if sending regular payments.

If you google 'pre paid card', there is a whole heap to choose from, there is a site that compares them all for charges and rates, this makes it easy to choose the cheapest for your needs.

Watch out for foreign withdrawl % rates etc these vary. The cards are very easy to come buy and you can get a second card in some one elses name. The user abroad can then either draw cash from ATM or use card to make shop purchases.

Some can be 'charged up' with cash on line, others you have to do by telephone or in person.

I used to do a bit of Western Union transfer now and then and 27 quid to send 250 is just too greedy.

Reading the comparisons, if you choose well you can save a lot of money over Western Union.

I would agree that Nationwide is probably the cheapest, but it involves opening a current account and internet banking, maybe not what everyone needs, a second bank account.

Edited by Cobalt60

natwest step account. used it for 3 years for my thai wife. give her the card and just pay in from uk. something else to concider, dont know your situation, but this is a major plus if youre looking to get a visa for your partner, as proof of your relashonship and your financial support of her. my own experaince was 2 tousist visas the second one being issued three months after the first one expired, she now here on a 2yr spouse visa with 1yr left, then she can stay with indefinate leave. had no problems with the applacations on any of these visas and the fact she had that atm card was proof that we were in a proper relashonship. this post might be of use to anyone else looking to get visa for wife/partner :o