What Part Of "nit Noi" Do They Not Understand?

After much putting off, fearing that this would happen again (and it has), I went for a hair cut today, explaining as much as I could without being patronising that I wanted little bit off the back and sides and even less off the top.

My sideburns only come down as far as my earlobes but I like them so i asked for them to be kept.

Again I explained that the back & sides would require maybe a Grade 4 with the clippers and that the top would just need about 3 millimetres trimmed off so I would end up with a tidy business like hair cut for two potentially important meetings at the end of this week.

But no, the sides were done with clippers over comb and were done much too short, too much was taken off the fringe and yes, he didn't shorten the length of the sideburns virtically but he shaved them so close to the skin that they are now invisible.

I look like a cross between TinTin and Forrest Gump - thanks a <deleted> bunch Mr Hairdresser.

I hate going for haircuts and dread it EVERY time.

Perhaps they understood your "nitnoi" as meaning you only wanted a little hair left behind, rather than only a little cut!

:D Yes, I think that's where the confusion normally comes in.

The barber hears the words "nit noi" and sees the worried-faced farang making a gesture with his thumb and forefinger to show *only this small amount off thanks matey*

and interprets that is

*leave only this much behind please, kind barber sir*

Usually 5 minutes after the newly shorn farang leaves, the following conversation takes place in the shop:

Thai Customer "You do realise he only wanted a little bit taken off, don't you?"

Thai Barber "Yeah, but its more fun this way, and I'm sick of cutting jet black hair 7 days a week, its nice to get the odd ginger or blonde in and go to town on them"

:o

So what's the answer then?  :o

I get the wife to cut mine, she doesn't do too bad a job and it grows back quickly enough, as they say:

What's the difference between a good and a bad haircut?

About two weeks! :D

gentleman scamp: It is an "old saw" but you have definitely encountered a cultural thing. There was a long thread on this subject last year.

Every one of my encounters with Thai "professionals", those who have gone to school to learn their trade or profession, have a definite "attitude" that they have been educated in their profession or trade and you haven't, so they are definitely more knowledgeable and better to provide the service than you. Their "professional opinion" is what you are coming to them for, so they will give it to you whether you like it or not, since your uneducated and unknowing what is good for you.

Hairdressers are a notorious example. Haven't had one follow my instructions, even with Thai interpretation. Now grow my hair long, pony tail, no hairdressers ever. Thai explanation for the "skinhead look" "she thinks you look better with short hair" explanation for too long, "he is afraid to cut too much off, you can come back to have more taken off".

Doctors look at your like a "specimen" and due their thing paying no attention to your needs.

Immigration officers are policemen and have an enforcement mindset, not a service mindset. Last time for extention, I was sent to the copy service three times within an hour, by three different immigration officers, copying different parts of my passport, depending on the officer in question. Each time, I was the idiot who didn't know which part of the passport to copy.

Photo shop explanation why they didn't follow actual picture example of what Land Transportation Department wanted (white strip at bottom of pic) "we are sure it will be OK, if not you can come back and we will do again".

Need I go on about tradesmen??

Short of a massage parlour and my bed, I've found Thai barbers one of the most relaxing places on earth. I just get in that seat, give a few instructions which leave it open to their interpretation, settle back and listen to the whirring and snipping and wake up half an hour later, when he's finishing the head massage bit. 9 out of 10 times the result is to my satisfaction, all for the ludicrous sum of 40 baht. :o

gentleman scamp: It is an "old saw" but you have definitely encountered a cultural thing. There was a long thread on this subject last year.

Every one of my encounters with Thai "professionals", those who have gone to school to learn their trade or profession, have a definite "attitude" that they have been educated in their profession or trade and you haven't, so they are definitely more knowledgeable and better to provide the service than you. Their "professional opinion" is what you are coming to them for, so they will give it to you whether you like it or not, since your uneducated and unknowing what is good for you.

Hairdressers are a notorious example. Haven't had one follow my instructions, even with Thai interpretation. Now grow my hair long, pony tail, no hairdressers ever. Thai explanation for the "skinhead look" "she thinks you look better with short hair" explanation for too long, "he is afraid to cut too much off, you can come back to have more taken off".

Doctors look at your like a "specimen" and due their thing paying no attention to your needs.

Immigration officers are policemen and have an enforcement mindset, not a service mindset. Last time for extention, I was sent to the copy service three times within an hour, by three different immigration officers, copying different parts of my passport, depending on the officer in question. Each time, I was the idiot who didn't know which part of the passport to copy.

Photo shop explanation why they didn't follow actual picture example of what Land Transportation Department wanted (white strip at bottom of pic) "we are sure it will be OK, if not you can come back and we will do again".

Need I go on about tradesmen??

Well I found it out too late but yeah, it's sad but true your right.

As an old thai lady confirmed today, they will do what they think is best, regardless of what you or I want.

I'm not a happy scamp.

i took a photo of tom cruise to a barbers once and said 'i want to look just like that'

when he finished i was well upset as i still looked like me...

there was a time in the uk when barbers knew only one style...short.back.and sides.

seems that Thailand has the same idea.

'dont worry sir...i know what you want'