Pattaya Now Has Legal Metered Taxis!

Jingthing

My Don Quixote crusade is about the the goal of real taxi service here, with meters, like Bangkok. We aren't there yet.

Jingthing

What is your usual means of transportation? Do you drive a motorcycle or car, or do you use the songthaews?

If you are a bahtbus rider, simply look for a taxi to take you home. That eliminates the problem of finding one when you want to go out.

I am a baht bus rider when out for a beer at night and would dearly love to take a taxi home (or even to downtown Pattaya) as the baht buses don't go where I live (a remote part of Pratumnak) but it seems that when I am going out/home the 21 or so taxis that are allocated to the WHOLE of Pattaya are all in hiding.

What is needed is more visibility in the form of more taxis, and for someone to answer that bloody 'phone so I can get a one to pick me up.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

News flash.

I now have another fresh report.

This late afternoon I was desirous of a taxicab and I saw one (actually three) at the very same time!

Time to act and act I did.

I found one sitting at Bali Hai Pier:

TAXI ONE

Me: To Jomtien please

Taxi: 150 baht

Me: (pointing to the big Taxi Meter sign on top) You are taxi METER, correct?

Taxi: Yes

Me: You have meter?

Taxi: Yes.

Me: Meter works, correct?

Taxi: Correct.

Me: Why you no use meter?

Taxi: Me wait a long time.

Me: Now you wait longer. You mafia, correct?

Taxi: No mafia.

(SLAM DOOR)

TAXI TWO

Then, another taxi drives up (not waiting a long time)

Taxi: 150 baht.

Taxi: Next month.

Me: You mafia.

Taxi: No mafia. This not like Bangkok.

Me: Bye bye (slams door)

TAXI THREE

Saw another one driving on walking street. Made him stop to go through a short version of the above. They all say 150 baht.

BOYCOTT THE MAFIA SCUM

Getting on my soapbox again. BOYCOTT THESE MAFIA SCUM! If you are desperate enough to pay charter rates, charter a baht bus, not a taxi meter. Only if they get the treatment they deserve (boycott) for running around in a taxi meter car and not using meters, is there ever any hope of them changing their ways. But, yes, by all means approach them and ASK them to use the meters. If they don't: SLAM AND WALK. We didn't need another rip off charter service. We already had way more baht buses than we need that were already here to act as rip off taxi charter service.. We did need and still need REAL Bangkok style taxi service.

Has anyone actually ridden in a Pattaya taxi meter yet where they actually used their meters?

I walked to Pattaya Tai and took a 10 baht baht bus. To those who think I should have taken a taxi meter ride if they wouldn't turn on the meter, WHY WHY WHY? You don't think I know what it feels like to ride in an automobile?

Edited by Jingthing

Apologies for this shameless bump, but I am wondering what people think of my SLAM THE DOOR and WALK AWAY taxi boycott idea?

It galls me to my inner bubble gum not to mention makes me muy verklempt that they have just purchased these shiny new symbols of civic pride, Pattaya Taxi "Meters", with a big sign on top saying TAXI METER, installed working meters, and they won't use the meters! If we don't resist this arrogant greedy mafia, who will?

Perhaps an expert on Thai culture can explain to me why they started this PHONY taxi meter service? OK, I understand the idea of rip off car taxi charters.

But why did they put the TAXI METER signs on the top and bother to install working meters? Surely you must have an advanced degree in Thai studies to really answer this, yes? It is the same impulse that has Thais imagining they have a real demoocracy? Just asking.

Also, has anyone seen one word of this MAFIA SCAM in the Pattaya press? This is supposed to be good for tourism, PHONY taxi meters? Its a disgrace and another embarassment for Pattaya. What good is the press here?

Edited by Jingthing

So Jingthing has the pig splattered all over the <deleted> place or not? A Take off was attempted but a splatter was inevitable!

The piggies definitely ain't flying, but that doesn't mean we can't slow smoke some pork ...

post-37101-1200340413_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

TAXI TWO

Then, another taxi drives up (not waiting a long time)

Taxi: 150 baht.

Taxi: Next month.Me: You mafia.

Taxi: No mafia. This not like Bangkok.

Me: Bye bye (slams door)

BOYCOTT THE MAFIA SCUM[/b]

Getting on my soapbox again. BOYCOTT THESE MAFIA SCUM! If you are desperate enough to pay charter rates, charter a baht bus, not a taxi meter. Only if they get the treatment they deserve (boycott) for running around in a taxi meter car and not using meters, is there ever any hope of them changing their ways. But, yes, by all means approach them and ASK them to use the meters. If they don't: SLAM AND WALK. We didn't need another rip off charter service. We already had way more baht buses than we need that were already here to act as rip off taxi charter service.. We did need and still need REAL Bangkok style taxi service.

In defense of Taxi driver #2, he did say he would use the meter next month.

I think you're getting a bit carried away with your "Mafia" terminology.

All these taxis drivers are trying to do is make the most profit they can and they won't use their meters if there is no official government enforcement.

Jingthing

Congrats to you for taking the first step in walking the walk! :D

Your experience was the same as mine. This does not mean we should stop. Eventually one or many of the drivers will take the bird in the hand so to speak.

However, Bangkok taxi drivers were well known for not using the meters some years ago. Now, for the most part, they do. It is an evolutionary process.

It is not necessary to SLAM the door. The taxi is NOT your property to abuse. :o

I think our chances for meter use will increase with the end of high season.

Jingthing

Congrats to you for taking the first step in walking the walk! :D

Your experience was the same as mine. This does not mean we should stop. Eventually one or many of the drivers will take the bird in the hand so to speak.

However, Bangkok taxi drivers were well known for not using the meters some years ago. Now, for the most part, they do. It is an evolutionary process.

It is not necessary to SLAM the door. The taxi is NOT your property to abuse. :o

I think our chances for meter use will increase with the end of high season.

It's not an evolutionary process. Taxi drivers will never use their meters unless strict enforcement is introduced by the relevent government transport authorities. This means they'll have to start issuing fines to guarantee meter useage...there's no other way.

With the current small number of taxis here this will never happen. Unless they introduce at least another 100 or so taxis, it'll be considered a non-issue.

Taxi drivers in Bangkok make the bulk of their living from frequent short trips, the 35Baht flag fall is their main earner. They can do this because they have no short trip competition like bath buses but some competition from BTS on the long routes.

In Pattaya the short trips are mainly catered for by the Bath buses and the taxis will have a big problem competing with them but on the longer routes they could make some money. The problem is that frequent short trips pay a lot more than long trips, especially if they have to return empty from the long trips.

The only way around this is a different set up of the meters in the Pattaya taxis. A lower flag fall would make them more competitive on the very short routes and a much higher km fare would make them some money on the longer routes using the meter.

The way there fares are structured at the moment will never make Pattaya Taxis a good business for the drivers, without resorting to fixed prices without using the meter.

Calling a taxi driver "mafia" is disgraceful. The mafia use violence to extort money out of people. The taxi driver is just some guy trying to make a living in difficult circumstances. If you don't like the service he provides then don't use it. There's no need to be rude and aggressive by calling him names and disrespecting his property.

Edited by edwardandtubs

In defense of Taxi driver #2, he did say he would use the meter next month.

And you believe him?

I certainly don't. He was just trying to save face because he wasn't so dumb as to not realize how ridiculous this new service is, PHONY taxi meters with big signs saying METER, new working meters, and a clear MAFIA style regime that has them consistently refusing to use the meter.

I think a healthy door slam sends a message, and it feels good. I recommend it. Don't break anything of course.

The slam the door and walk away policy does have the potential of sending a strong message if enough of us get behind it. Also of course, this taxi meters without using meters mafia scam needs to be raised more in public in the press and of course eventually there does need to be regulation. There needs to be a publicly adverstised phone number where customers can call to finger specific violators with the consequence of losing their right to drive cab. Yes, this will take many years, just as it did in Bangkok. That taxi driver was wrong. It is like Bangkok. They also used to have a MAFIA SCUM taxi system, and like Bangkok where the drivers refused to use the meters.

Calling all cars: has anyone, even one person, taken a Pattaya Taxi Meter ride where the driver actually used the meter? Anyone?

BTW, they are a mafia. They are all being ordered to not use the meters by their big mafia bosses, the ones who own BOTH the taxis AND the baht bus mafia trucks. Anyone who doesn't see that doesn't understand Pattaya. These mafia bosses do not want there to EVER be a real taxi meter service in Pattaya. They want to control their total mafia system of owning all the trucks and cars and having them all run as rip offs when used as taxi charters. Just compare the relative fare based on distance of a Bangkok taxi meter ride vs. a Pattaya mafia charter ride (car or truck) and you will know this is ROTTEN.

Edited by Jingthing

Calling a taxi driver "mafia" is disgraceful. The mafia use violence to extort money out of people. The taxi driver is just some guy trying to make a living in difficult circumstances. If you don't like the service he provides then don't use it. There's no need to be rude and aggressive by calling him names and disrespecting his property.

Have you ever seen a Baht Bus driver using violence to extort money from a farang passenger?

I have - on numerous occasions

Just an example - Outside the back of Mike's Shoppping Mall

THe Baht bus in front pulled up loaded with Russian tourists. The driver jumps out armed with a baseball bat and closes the tailgate. He motions to the Baht bus I was on to pull up to the tailgate to stop the farangs from getting off. He then took 500 Baht from EVERY passenger - six of them. 3,000 Baht in total. I can't imagine that they had hired the Baht bus from Korat or maybe they hired it from Vladivostok

I think the word Mafia is an apt description for the organized extortion methods that some individual drivers use and the Baht busses employ as an obviously engineered set of policies.

Mafia - I think a fair description

I am seeing more of these Pattaya taxis around town and they appear to be mostly EMPTY. I think if word got out they were using meters, they would have alot more customers and actually make more money. I wonder if the mafia bosses are paying them to sit around. Their function is to kill the idea of a real Pattaya taxi meter system so the mafia bosses can continue to control the baht bus system and preserve it as a monopoly, perhaps?

In any event, it is clear this is bigger than "innocent" individual drivers trying to feed their family. There is a systematic thing going on here, they are getting orders from the top.

Edited by Jingthing

Well that's an individual example of criminal behaviour. It certainly isn't typical. I've seen a clueless Russian refuse to leave a baht bus at the end of the route and another constantly knock on the window and shout in Russian at the driver when he got out. In both examples the driver remained remarkably patient and didn't take out a baseball bat (though he would have been justified in doing so). One example of criminal behaviour doesn't prove anything and certainly doesn't justify being rude and aggressive towards a metred taxi driver. If Jingthing really thought a metred taxi driver was "MAFIA SCUM" I doubt he'd have the balls to treat him with such disrespect.

If Jingthing really thought a metred taxi driver was "MAFIA SCUM" I doubt he'd have the balls to treat him with such disrespect.

I never said they were mafia BOSSES, they are just mafia peasants.

Edited by Jingthing

Well that's an individual example of criminal behaviour. It certainly isn't typical. I've seen a clueless Russian refuse to leave a baht bus at the end of the route and another constantly knock on the window and shout in Russian at the driver when he got out. In both examples the driver remained remarkably patient and didn't take out a baseball bat (though he would have been justified in doing so). One example of criminal behaviour doesn't prove anything and certainly doesn't justify being rude and aggressive towards a metred taxi driver. If Jingthing really thought a metred taxi driver was "MAFIA SCUM" I doubt he'd have the balls to treat him with such disrespect.

I quoted just ONE example of the NUMEROUS occasions that I have witnessed (and experienced) myself

I admit one "bad apple" doesn't spoil the whole batch - however over the years I have been party to enough bad apples to realize this isn't a one off incident or "one off" behaviour

Taxi: 150 baht

I walked to Pattaya Tai and took a 10 baht baht bus. To those who think I should have taken a taxi meter ride if they wouldn't turn on the meter, WHY WHY WHY? You don't think I know what it feels like to ride in an automobile?

So, you were offered a ride in an air conditioned, clean car with seatbelts from Bali Hai to your final destination for 150 baht.

But you preferred to walk to Tai and pay 10baht to sit with up to ten other people, including the possibility at least of crazies, pickpockets, stinky unwashed and drunk falangs.

You must be fit enough to mount and dismount a baht bus but not everyone is that dextrous and the cab passenger seat is often occupied by drivers family etc.

Presumably it wasn't raining or the wet bench seats would have given you a damp bottom; and it wasn't too hot when the heat and fumes would have made you feel uncomfortable.

I guess you ignore the poor state of maintenance of the baht buses and the often reckless driving as they attempt to get more passengers.

The driver of the baht bus probably got 100 baht plus for his run over the hill into the Jomtien and a good chance of another 100 baht on the return leg.

The taxi driver was being asked to leave the tourist area and proceed over the hill with the possibility of no return fare and traffic delays in the road congestion on the way back.

150 baht sounds like a bargain to me especially if you were with friend or friends. Door to door all for 150 baht!

I won't be 'slamming any doors'. Good luck to the new service, may it prosper and grow.

How much do you think you saved over what would have been the metered fare?

The point is, beginner, to get a proper regulated service on a meter, which won't happen if everyone gives in and just pays a fixed fare.

Jingthing will not know how much he saved over the metered fare 'cos he doesn't know how much the meter fare is, but he's ceratinly saved 140 baht and given the drivers the message that not all Farangs are fools.

Yes, exactly. This is about a movement I am trying to get people to join, to resist this mafia.

It will likely take many years to be effective, but if we don't resist, there is no hope whatsoever of making a change.

Of course, if it was raining hard and I had no umbrella or I had a health emergency or was desparate in any other way, I might have taken the ride. But I am saying if you have any other alternative, including using a truck bus charter (owned by the same scoundrels sadly) SLAM THE DOOR AND WALK AWAY!

We already had a rip off chart taxi service (the trucks). We did not need another! What we do need and should be prepared to fight for is a REAL Bangkok style taxi METER service, not these PHONY METER MAFIA Pattaya taxis.

This is a George Bush moment. Either you are with the force of good (fighting the mafia) or you are with the mafia. Choose your side, and let the games begin ... Life presents us with many grey areas. This isn't one of them. The defenders and rationalizers of the mafia are in collusion with the dark forces.

Edited by Jingthing

So have you written a letter to the Pattaya Mail about this yet Jingthing?

It'll make a change from all the letters about the 5 baht fare for the baht bus!

I'm supposed to do it all?

Are y'all with me or agin men?

I ask everyone to please start SLAMMING and WALKING.

Edited by Jingthing

A properly regulated service on a meter would be nice. But it doesn't sound like Pattaya, the place we all live in and love.

My concern would be that the drivers make a sufficiently good profit so that the service expanded. Let market forces rip.

Just for comparative purposes here is the Brighton (a busy UK holiday resort)regulated tariff.

Thailand cost are obviously much lower (little or no expensive regulatory authorities to pay for); so what would the fare be from Bali Hai to Jomtien on this tariff?

A good mathematician is needed here. Then divide by the Thailand factor and what figure do you end up with?

Don't forget to add on the extras!

I still think 150 baht is a bargain and would be surprised if the meter fare that is eventually set is any lower.

the fare YOU SHOULD PAY along with the relevant Tariff code will be shown automatically on the Taximeter.

ONLY extra charges marked ** may BE ADDED TO THE METER BY THE DRIVER.

Tariff 1 – NORMAL FARE Applies to all hiring’s except those mentioned in tariffs 2, 3, 4 & 5

Initial distance not exceeding 716 metres (approximately 784 yards) or 3 minutes 24 seconds or a combination of distance and time. For all or part of each subsequent 179 meters (approximately 196 yards) or 51 seconds or a combination of distance and time.

£2.30

20p

Tariff 2 Late Night – each day between the hours of 10pm and 6am other than under tariff 3

Sundays – between the hours of 6am and 10pm

Initial distance not exceeding 716 metres (approximately 784 yards) or 3 minutes 24 seconds or a combination of distance and time. For all or part of each subsequent 179 meters (approximately 196 yards) or 51 seconds or a combination of distance and time.

£3.10

20p

Tariff 3 Late Night – each Friday night and Saturday night only between the hours of 12 midnight and 6am the following day.

£4.10

20p

Tariff 4 Bank or Public Holiday - to 6am the following day excluding the times covered by the Christmas and New Year extra charge.

£3.30

20p

Tariff 5 Christmas Day & Boxing Day – between 8pm 24 December and 6am 27 December

New Year – between 8pm 31 December and 10am 1 January

£4.60

40p

<a name="table07"> Extra Charges – that may be added to the metered fare by the driver **Fouling Charge **Additional Passengers – each beyond four

**Booking Fee for telephone and pre-booked hiring’s

**£50.00** **60p**

**20p**

A properly regulated service on a meter would be nice. But it doesn't sound like Pattaya, the place we all live in and love.

My concern would be that the drivers make a sufficiently good profit so that the service expanded. Let market forces rip.

Just for comparative purposes here is the Brighton (a busy UK holiday resort)regulated tariff.

Thailand cost are obviously much lower (little or no expensive regulatory authorities to pay for); so what would the fare be from Bali Hai to Jomtien on this tariff?

A good mathematician is needed here. Then divide by the Thailand factor and what figure do you end up with?

Don't forget to add on the extras!

I still think 150 baht is a bargain and would be surprised if the meter fare that is eventually set is any lower.

the fare YOU SHOULD PAY along with the relevant Tariff code will be shown automatically on the Taximeter.

ONLY extra charges marked ** may BE ADDED TO THE METER BY THE DRIVER.

Tariff 1 – NORMAL FARE Applies to all hiring's except those mentioned in tariffs 2, 3, 4 & 5

£2.30

20p

Tariff 2 Late Night – each day between the hours of 10pm and 6am other than under tariff 3

Sundays – between the hours of 6am and 10pm

£3.10

20p

Tariff 3 Late Night – each Friday night and Saturday night only between the hours of 12 midnight and 6am the following day.

£4.10

20p

Tariff 4 Bank or Public Holiday - to 6am the following day excluding the times covered by the Christmas and New Year extra charge.

£3.30

20p

Tariff 5 Christmas Day & Boxing Day – between 8pm 24 December and 6am 27 December

New Year – between 8pm 31 December and 10am 1 January

£4.60

40p

<a name="table07"> Extra Charges – that may be added to the metered fare by the driver **Fouling Charge **Additional Passengers – each beyond four

**Booking Fee for telephone and pre-booked hiring's

**£50.00** **60p**

**20p**

Totally Irrelevant

This is Pattaya not Brighton

Only similarity is they both have beaches

Pattaya has Beaches

Brighton has Bitches

Brighton fares are not applicable in Pattaya so what about a comparison with Bangkok fares.

Let's say from Nana Plaza to Patpong, similar distance from Bali High Pier to Jomtien Beach Road yes? 40 baht and no traffic lights to stop at either.

I think most distances around Pattaya would be in the 40 to 50 baht fare range which is the range that the Bangkok taxis are reportedly making the most income from.

Indeed, I have taken Bangkok taxis for years, so I would judge Bali Hai Pier to lower Jomtien about 50 to 60 baht, and that includes time for some traffic delays.

Where is the real justification (MAFIA) for triple the rate of Bangkok which all would agree has a more expensive cost of living for farangs and Thais?

Yes, compare to Bangkok, not Boston, OK?

I do think one difference could or should be allowed for and that is a call fee. In other words you call for a taxi to come pick you up. In that case a pickup charge of 50 baht would make sense until such a time that Pattaya achieves the taxi density of Bangkok.

I also reject the idea that the drivers make more money ripping us off. They sit and sit and sit. If they starting actually WORKING and DRIVING for fair fare METER rates, they would be driving all the time and a huge demand would grow slowly but surely for MANY more TAXI METER cars to meet the desires and needs of our favorite flawed but growing city. Instead, the dastardly MAFIA rules the day, creating a situation where we are NOT being served, where the exisitng drivers don't make much money, and where future drivers have the opportunity for real jobs with a real future STOLEN from them by the MAFIA bosses. And us too if we play along and buy into the DARK SIDE of mai bpen rai. It can be helped. We do have MONEY power.

Do not participate in this evil.

Instead. Take positive action:

SLAM THE DOOR AND WALK AWAY!

Are you with me or agin me?

Edited by Jingthing

Have you ever seen a Baht Bus driver using violence to extort money from a farang passenger?

I have - on numerous occasions

Just an example - Outside the back of Mike's Shoppping Mall

THe Baht bus in front pulled up loaded with Russian tourists. The driver jumps out armed with a baseball bat and closes the tailgate. He motions to the Baht bus I was on to pull up to the tailgate to stop the farangs from getting off. He then took 500 Baht from EVERY passenger - six of them. 3,000 Baht in total. I can't imagine that they had hired the Baht bus from Korat or maybe they hired it from Vladivostok

I think the word Mafia is an apt description for the organized extortion methods that some individual drivers use and the Baht busses employ as an obviously engineered set of policies.

Mafia - I think a fair description

How did he close the tailgate????

Proper baht buses do not have a tailgate, but a platform for access.

Only the pseudo-bb's that service shoppers from the supermarkets have tailgates. This seems to have been one of those, and maybe had been chartered to visit all different malls and supermarkets.

Can we please keep on the subject of Pattaya Taxi meter cars rather than baht buses, except for the ownership mafia connection between the trucks and cars?

Please send in the reports.

How you SLAMMED THE DOOR AND WALKED AWAY. Be sure to make it clear the only reason you are leaving is their refusal to use the meter. Join in the fun, and make a difference for Pattaya.

Tourists too. Do your part. Expats here love the tourists, so love us back OK, and join in the SLAM THE DOOR AND WALK AWAY in crowd.

Also, do we yet have even one report of a driver here actually turning on their meter? Anyone?

Edited by Jingthing