Pattaya Now Has Legal Metered Taxis!

Jingthing

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is absurd. Bangkok taxis already here aplenty to handle the airport trips. And not allowed to do local trips. The need here is for taxis to do local trips. Pretty soon, I may have to de-wing my pig. I feel the roasting fire heating up.

Edited by Jingthing

Sadly its true - however just one attempt - guess we'll see if anyone else has luck, might be just a one off. :o

You are sure that your mate tried one of the new all-yellow ones and not a yellow Bangkok one that was looking for a return fare?

I saw a genuine Pattaya all-yellow one headed north on 2nd road yesterday. I would have followed by my books were overdue at the library.

Mate tried to use one - told only go airport or bangers. :o

Are you serious?

If true, this is a FARCE and a SCANDAL.

Sadly its true - however just one attempt - guess we'll see if anyone else has luck, might be just a one off. :D

Brit, are you sure you didn't try to hire a Bangkok Taxi - you know one of those who is not allowed to opperate in Pattaya on pain of death?

Just a thought..... :D

Most blessed of days!

Today on the way to the doctor in a rusting fume filled baht bus, I saw a vision of beauty a yellow metered taxi. On Jomtien beach road in a line of baht buses was this little yellow beauty.

Several drivers were gathered around peeking and poking and cheered to my howl of Taxi Meter. Everyone seemed in a good mood and one guy yelled back yes meter you try? Alas by the time this interchange sunk in, we were down the road.

Next time, once recovered, I will not be so slow and will have more to share.

kdf

Most blessed of days!

Today on the way to the doctor in a rusting fume filled baht bus, I saw a vision of beauty a yellow metered taxi. On Jomtien beach road in a line of baht buses was this little yellow beauty.

Several drivers were gathered around peeking and poking and cheered to my howl of Taxi Meter. Everyone seemed in a good mood and one guy yelled back yes meter you try? Alas by the time this interchange sunk in, we were down the road.

Next time, once recovered, I will not be so slow and will have more to share.

kdf

Is this the first reported actual PATTAYA TAXI METER sighting here on Thaivisa? Mark the day, mark the day.

A taxi meter so nice you have to say it twice?

Edited by Jingthing

Is this the first reported actual PATTAYA TAXI METER sighting here on Thaivisa? Mark the day, mark the day.

A taxi meter so nice you have to say it twice?

Nope. I saw one (post #65) although it was moving so maybe that doesn't count. Does the yellow beast have to be parked to count as a sighting?

BTW, what's the name of the bright blue colored birds that sometime flit about the garden just after sunrise?

so no one had tryed one yet???? seems the phone numbers do NOT work at least when ever I tryed to call....all the english news papers and even the badly run 105 and 96.0 have not reported anything?? keep us updated I am back in Bangkok now, was in Pataya for about 10 days......I stay at Na Jomtien would be nice to call one to pick me up for a night of dirnking and calll one to bring me home...I have to use a trick to get a good rate....get the Baht taxie or motot bike taxie by walking, useally pay 40 to 60 THB to go where the beast roads turns to go up the hill....Jomtiene road that is....I get off and get another baht bus to go to South Pattaya....total 50, to 60 THB now if I tryed to take one of those baht buses all the way to south pattya they would want 200 THB or something crazy......I am off the route so you have to bargin with the drivers....now comming back from south Pattaya late at night I take the BAHT bus 10 THB, then get a motot bike 60 THB so 70 THB to go home...the BAHT bus would want a lot to go back as they would not get any fares that late at night, but comming in to town I pay 40 to Jomtine complex....well lots of work just to get around......I do like it out at Na Jomtine nice, close to the beach quit, etc.......it would be nice to cal a tacxie or better yet get a taxie to take me home for a descent rate....I could dirnk more and not worry aboutfalling off the moter bike HEHEHHE

so no one had tryed one yet???? seems the phone numbers do NOT work at least when ever I tryed to call....all the english news papers and even the badly run 105 and 96.0 have not reported anything?? keep us updated I am back in Bangkok now, was in Pataya for about 10 days......I stay at Na Jomtien would be nice to call one to pick me up for a night of dirnking and calll one to bring me home...I have to use a trick to get a good rate....get the Baht taxie or motot bike taxie by walking, useally pay 40 to 60 THB to go where the beast roads turns to go up the hill....Jomtiene road that is....I get off and get another baht bus to go to South Pattaya....total 50, to 60 THB now if I tryed to take one of those baht buses all the way to south pattya they would want 200 THB or something crazy......I am off the route so you have to bargin with the drivers....now comming back from south Pattaya late at night I take the BAHT bus 10 THB, then get a motot bike 60 THB so 70 THB to go home...the BAHT bus would want a lot to go back as they would not get any fares that late at night, but comming in to town I pay 40 to Jomtine complex....well lots of work just to get around......I do like it out at Na Jomtine nice, close to the beach quit, etc.......it would be nice to cal a tacxie or better yet get a taxie to take me home for a descent rate....I could dirnk more and not worry aboutfalling off the moter bike HEHEHHE

Thank you for more evidence of the desperate need for REAL taxi meter service in Pattaya.

25 taxis is a start but multiply that by 10 to have the beginnings of a serious service, one where they would even be waiting for people in Na Jomtien. And WHY NOT???? Is this not a densely populated international tourist resort city? OK, its a start. Maybe.

Another point, a REAL service with scads of cars would be great for people AND business. People could get where they want to go when they want to go and not have to worry about being anywhere near the baht bus bus routes. The trips you describe you have to make now without taxis sound very unpleasant.

When I think about it, I am still amazed at the number of people who argued that Pattaya does not need taxis. What were you thinking, really?

Edited by Jingthing

If you are interested in the Chiang Mai experience with metered taxis, this is a recent news item here.

http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/243/news.shtml Is your meter running?

....head of the Chiang Mai Land Transport office, said that the minimum service charge for boarding a metered taxi in the city starts at 40 baht for the first 2 kilometers followed by a 5 baht per kilometer charge after the first 2 kms. The charge for a full day costs 1,700 baht. ..........

The land transport official announced that every metered taxi must abide by these rates and regulations or face losing their license if found overcharging a customer.

Metered taxis are not only registered with the local Land Transport Department, but that same department can "police" the regulations.

(Slight pause for a reality check).

But at least in Chiang Mai - they are going through the motions of advertising phone numbers for any complaints re metered taxis here.

(If only it were that easy.)

Thank you, I am going to Chiang Mai tomorrow and any taxi that does not turn on his meter for me will get a complaint from me to the central license revoking office. If and when we have a decent number of Pattaya taxis on the streets, that is the kind of program that offers hope of keeping these driving rascals in line. I think that kind of thing can work if the complaint numbers are widely publicized. It sounds like Chiang Mai is beginning to do something about their failed taxi meter program (they reportedly don't like to use meters) so if we communicate, we can fight corruption.

These 25 cars. This is just the start. Because of the track record of who owns runs these cars, they need to be watched like hawks. It still may be 10 years before we have a real useful non-corrupt service like Bangkok. But I don't intend to stop kvetching until we do ..

Edited by Jingthing

I haven't read all the replys, but...

The main difference between Bangkok and Pattaya is the size.

Most journeys in Pattaya will not justify metering the journey,

hence the reluctance of using them.

Sure, for journeys longer than, say, five minutes, it would

be worth metering.

I haven't read all the replys, but...

The main difference between Bangkok and Pattaya is the size.

Most journeys in Pattaya will not justify metering the journey,

hence the reluctance of using them.

Sure, for journeys longer than, say, five minutes, it would

be worth metering.

So you say. We shall see.

The Pattaya taxis are new and rare. Not one person here has reported riding in one yet. We don't yet have any definite proof that they even have meters or use them, or not. So let us see. And let us watch.

I will not be following this exciting development much for awhile, see y'all in a few weeks. Happy taxi METERING!

Edited by Jingthing

Great news but rather stupidly placing it in the Pattaya Mail above an article which states that currently, at Bt5 per passender, the baht bus drivers can work profitably. My experience is that even the thais pay Bt10 now for anything more than a couple of hundred metres.

Surely the sign will then say "not over 20 baht".

As to the taxis, give them some time for one of us to use them and report. However, they would be most useful for people like me who live east of Suk who don't want to drive into town and who have no baht buses on regular routes near my house. What their charge would be by the time they reached my house I do not know.

I already have a couple of "taxi" guys who will come to my house or pick me up from anywhere really, drive me from Suk to Jomtien to Naklua and back home for a couple of hundred baht and they are happy as pigs in shit with that job. A baht bus would want about Bt350-500 for the same time.

BTW, what's the name of the bright blue colored birds that sometime flit about the garden just after sunrise?

Bigger than a myna and smaller than a crow? Indian Roller. Off topic emoticon.

No sightings of Pattaya Taxi Meters here in Bangkok yet.

When I think about it, I am still amazed at the number of people who argued that Pattaya does not need taxis. What were you thinking, really?

They were thinking of their own little drunken world which exists between Beach and Third Road, and were worried that that if Meter Taxis came along they would no longer be able do their journeys for 5 Baht (or maybe10 Baht??) a pop.

No care or consideration for the needs of the greater Pattaya community, or for those either too infirm or disabled to climb in to the back of a songtow.

Don't forget, Pattaya is the premier International tourist resort of South East Asia -according to TAT :o

Thank you, I am going to Chiang Mai tomorrow and any taxi that does not turn on his meter for me will get a complaint from me to the central license revoking office.

Taxis in Chiang Mai have been a flop.

They won't take fares from town. Airport and Bus Depot (Arcade) are the only places to catch them. Airport surcharge puts them slightly cheaper than an airport car. If you flag them down, they give you an outrgeous price.

Taxis in Phuket have been equally dissapointing.

They're not in Patong at all, except for dropoffs.

I hope you have better luck in Pattaya.