Qualifications To Teach Efl In Thailand To Thai Tykes

Posters on ThaiVisa just cannot stop expressing their opinions about what constitutes a qualified teacher to teach English in Thailand (and related topics). So, this is where we're going to say our peace/piece, not in topics about fake degrees or teacher's licenses, in November 2007. This topic is restricted to teaching EFL in Thailand to Thai children, either in govt. or private schools or language schools.

How much does Somchai and Lek in Pitsanalouk need to know about English, for Pete's sake? Do you need to have a B.Ed. in English and an M.Ed. in TESOL to teach them the simple present tense? Can you pitch it to them in Pichit with only a BA/BS in any subject, plus a four week TEFL course?

I sincerely believe that it takes absolutely nothing to teach English in this country, and here's why:

1. All the crackdowns on foreigners are driving people away. I am sure there are links to stories (in other threads) on how the police are now going to check (yet again) all foreigners working in Thailand. According to http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,306637,00.html there are only 1000 legally working teachers in Thailand. OK, pick on the 1000 of us who are basically lifers and drive us out. Know what you end up with? All the crap that's causing the sensational news.

2. Somchai and Noi don't really care about English because the MoE and the schools don't care about English. Let's face it, it takes more than one hour a week to learn anything, much less a foreign language. Until the government cares, the schools won't care. And currently, the schools really don't care WHO or WHAT is teaching Thai children a foreign language.

---

OK, off my rant now. Thanks, PB for letting me get that off my chest.

Teaching to kids? There's a huge difference in a private school in Pichit and a govt. school in Roi Et.

A dustbin-man or gardener with a 4 week TEFL is, in my experience, a much better teacher of kids(dancing white monkey) than a nervous, specky, stammering expert of grammar with a PhD in English or the dope-smoking lesbian with an art and design degree.

The most important thing is white skin, clean shoes and a lack of understanding the Thai language. That's what most Pratom/Mattyom schools are looking for. Ideally, they should be fresh off the boat and floating on the pink cloud of being in Thailand.

Farang teachers are the Thai directors 'extra' money.

I agree with Wangsuda and Neeranam, about kids or tykes. You need to reach the matayom (secondary school) level, and be in some special program like EP or bilingual with small classes, before a farang needs to have years of experience teaching increasingly more difficult English composition and usage, before he or she needs a degree in English or TESOL. Then he/she should be earning over 40K (even in Roi Et or Mae Hong Son!), with good side benefits.

A dustbin-man or gardener with a 4 week TEFL is, in my experience, a much better teacher of kids(dancing white monkey) than a nervous, specky, stammering expert of grammar with a PhD in English or the dope-smoking lesbian with an art and design degree.

The most important thing is white skin, clean shoes and a lack of understanding the Thai language.

Are we assume then that the " nervous, specky, stammering expert of grammar with a PhD in English or the dope-smoking lesbian with an art and design degree" IS NOT OF " white skin, clean shoes and a lack of understanding the Thai language "

Reading between the lines most people would think that YOU are not qualified or are working illegally?

And what the hel_l has " lesbianism " to do with it??

I strongly believe that all ESL teachers should have at least an academic degree.

Here is why;

- possession of an academic degree proves a certain ability to apply yourself to learning a subject.

- it shows a dedication to learning.

- it shows an ability to learn.

- it means English teachers appear more professional.

- it makes it easier for the Thai teacher to respect them.

- it reassures parents and administration.

- it is what the Thai authorities expect.

I think that the argument that non-degree teachers are somehow better at teaching is ridiculous.

If somebody wants to teach they should get the expected qualifications.

Otherwise, I see them as merely opportunists desperately trying to extend their holidays.

Non- degree teachers are not allowed teach primary or secondary shoool children where I come from, so in my eyes it is a disservice to the kids to stick a dustbin-man in front of them here in LOS

Let's see where we are so far in this silly argument. A fully overqualified, overcertified, successful American teacher who prefers to stay in the classroom teaching Thai children has defended the 'white monkey school of academic excellence,' pointing out that one hour a week does not teach much in Thailand. Another regular poster who's been there and done that, teaching EFL in Thailand, makes absurd comparisons with lesbian Ph.D. grammarians who aren't here, as if that has any relevance to the subject. Our good Irish nurse who's teaching kids out in the boondocks of Thailand makes a good case for the advantages of having any bachelor's degree, partly because my grand-daughter in Ireland goes to kindergarten under the tutelage of degreed teachers. But it's a long way to Tipperary from Roi Et!

Some of you posters are parents. Do you really want your kid who attends school in Thailand to be taught English by a totally unqualified buffoon with questionable morals, grammar, and accent?

I started this thread because you folks insist on having the discussion, but maybe it's counterproductive/ Let's not make any personal attacks, let's not violate any general rules of ThaiVisa or this teaching forum. This thread has a limited shelf life.

Again, this is not about qualifications in heavy-duty English-teaching programs where students actually learn lots of English. This is about Thai children, who can seldom carry on an intelligent conversation in English, Swahili, or Pali after 12 years of public education.

strongly believe that all ESL teachers should have at least an academic degree.

Here is why;

- possession of an academic degree proves a certain ability to apply yourself to learning a subject.

- it shows a dedication to learning.

- it shows an ability to learn.

- it means English teachers appear more professional.

- it makes it easier for the Thai teacher to respect them.

- it reassures parents and administration.

- it is what the Thai authorities expect.

True, it is what they expect. EXCEPT . . . the schools and the government make it next to impossible to work legally. Schools make it next to impossible to teach efficiently. And finally, even if you are qualified to the hilt and bust a *** doing the best and most honest job you can, the schools will change your grades to suit the needs of others.
Some of you posters are parents. Do you really want your kid who attends school in Thailand to be taught English by a totally unqualified buffoon with questionable morals, grammar, and accent?
I will take care of that at home. If I remember right, those in our generation, PB, were taught speaking and morals at home. Schools was for education! :o:D
This is about Thai children, who can seldom carry on an intelligent conversation in English, Swahili, or Pali after 12 years of public education.
Correct, and (mostly) schools just want the face in front of the class. Conversational programs in ANY language here are a joke. Like you also stated, one needs to be in an EP, bilingual, or international program before qualifications start coming in to play.

I think that just blaming the system is a cop out.

Teachers are mostly powerless to change the system but they can make a difference in the classroom.

A teacher who geniuinely enjoys their subject area will find that their love of the subject can be infectious.

I fail to see how people who prior to arriving in Thailand had no interest in learning can suddenly inspire people to learn.

This debate is all a bit boring and predictable. All those who have degrees like to rave on about the importance of having one as it serves their best interests. All those who don't have one on the other hand play down its value in determining who is fit and proper to do a job.

These two opposing camps can fight it out until the cows come home. For me though, what would be much more interesting is to hear from those who don't just argue for what serves their own personal interests.

This debate is all a bit boring and predictable. All those who have degrees like to rave on about the importance of having one as it serves their best interests. All those who don't have one on the other hand play down its value in determining who is fit and proper to do a job.
I must be one of the rare ones, then. I am degreed and arguing that a degree, for many jobs, doesn't matter. :o

The most important thing is white skin, clean shoes and a lack of understanding the Thai language.

Are we assume then that the " nervous, specky, stammering expert of grammar with a PhD in English or the dope-smoking lesbian with an art and design degree" IS NOT OF " white skin, clean shoes and a lack of understanding the Thai language "

Reading between the lines most people would think that YOU are not qualified or are working illegally?

And what the hel_l has " lesbianism " to do with it??

These examples are in no way belittling lesbians/dope smokers or dustbin men. These are couple of real people I've worked with.

I'm not a teacher anymore and have two degrees. I do a little work illegally.

Reading between the lines I'd say you were a lesbian, or maybe have a stammer? :o

I must be one of the rare ones, then. I am degreed and arguing that a degree, for many jobs, doesn't matter. :o

Me too!

Ideally, anyone teaching kids should be properly trained for the job. That's what I would expect for my kids in my own country and the principle holds here. Prathom kids should be taught by teachers trained to teach Prathom kids - whatever the other qualifications they hold, and whether they are Thai, native speaker etc., etc.

Of course I'm aware that we're not in a developed western country, and that is why I said 'ideally'. I don't believe kids need to be taught English by native speakers. I would always choose a Thai with a high level of proficiency in English who has been trained to teach kids over a farang with no qualifications or experience.

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is any development plan or encouragement on offer to try and build up the necessary pool of proficient, trained teachers.

In the end, the current reality is that it is necessary for schools to take what they can get and means that, in the main, English at Prathom level is just for show.

The whole degree in English, MA in TESOL issue, is a bit of a red herring. It always seem to be introduced in discussions of this nature as an example of people being 'overqualified', and then to justify the hiring of people with no qualifications of any kind. I don't think these are even the kind of qualification that primary teachers in western countries would necessarily be expected to have (though I stand to be corrected). On the other hand, I don't see why MA TESOL, or those with degrees in Education, shouldn't have an interest in education at younger ages and feel that this kind of job would be worthy of their qualifications and experience. (Again, I'm aware of the realities of pay levels, working conditions etc. in Thailand but I'm just pointing out that it is not completely ridiculous to imagine highly qualified people taking an interest in Prathom education).

This is about Thai children, who can seldom carry on an intelligent conversation in English, Swahili, or Pali after 12 years of public education.

Just like me with French after 9 years in a UK private school. And I doubt that the situation here is much different from foreign language education in the public education systems of most other countries around the world.

These two opposing camps can fight it out until the cows come home. For me though, what would be much more interesting is to hear from those who don't just argue for what serves their own personal interests.

I disagree and find it a very interesting topic.

I believe the argument is between those who value education and does that do not.

I think that many cynical types just see teaching as a chance to earn a shilling and many couldn't care less about how much the kids actually learn. I always find it amazing that some 'teachers' can write post after post about teaching but never mention the kids; I think that this is very telling. I am not aiming this at anybody on this thread.

With the exception of one guy in Bangkok all the teachers I admire have at least a degree.

Edited by garro

Me too!

Me, too! I don't have a teaching degree, but before I earned a degree I was a senior instructor in the military; after the degree I was a minister of religious education; after that I taught income tax law, native Indian children, immigrants, etc. Then I got a TEFL certificate after four weeks of intensive training. Am I qualified, or overqualified, to teach conversational English to prathom and matayom?

My recent interviews with TEFL course providers affirmed what I've always understood about the occupation in Thailand. All course providers, including CELTA, accept trainees who don't have a bachelor's degree. All the providers have lots of 'graduates' without degrees who went on to teach well, with a work permit. All providers have had degreed and undegreed graduates who failed, or who didn't get a work permit. How can we generalize?

first off, what levels are we talking about here? are we referring to prathom solely or opening up the discussion to education as a whole? for the sake of this post, im gonna assume the former.

honestly, you can have lots of fancy smancy degrees ( i have one + a TEFL btw) and be COMPLETELY inadequate to teach prathom kids. why? because teaching young learners has much more to do with a teachers personality than knowledge. argue this pt all day, but its true. this is exactly why many successful teachers of YL (young learners) dont have degrees. in fact, it could be argued that degrees may in fact lessen ones potential in terms of YL, i.e. the uni years dull ones ability to relate to YL perhaps...

lets generalize. there are some really good teachers here in thailand. there are some really bad ones. the bad ones teach mainly because its the only way they can stay here. its as simple as that. among this lot ARE IN FACT a good # of stoned lesbians and cockcentric guys in their 20s/30s. if you havent encountered any, you can hardly say youve been around much. most thai schools dont give a rats ass about english or education of any kind for that matter. thai teachers are underqualified; likewise, farangs are as well.

Edited by samsara

honestly, you can have lots of fancy smancy degrees ( i have one + a TEFL btw) and be COMPLETELY inadequate to teach prathom kids. why? because teaching young learners has much more to do with a teachers personality than knowledge. argue this pt all day, but its true. this is exactly why many successful teachers of YL (young learners) dont have degrees. in fact, it could be argued that degrees may in fact lessen ones potential in terms of YL, i.e. the uni years dull ones ability to relate to YL perhaps..

While I would also argue that degrees are not a necessity, I think this post exemplifies why discussions on this topic are often so poor here.

you can have lots of fancy smancy degrees ( i have one + a TEFL btw) and be COMPLETELY inadequate to teach prathom kids

And you can have "lots of fancy smancy degrees" and be an excellent teacher.

argue this pt all day, but its true

Trying to present opinion as fact with absolutely nothing to back it up.

in fact, it could be argued that degrees may in fact lessen ones potential in terms of YL, i.e. the uni years dull ones ability to relate to YL perhaps

It would be interesting if you could point us to some reference or research to back that up.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

honestly, you can have lots of fancy smancy degrees ( i have one + a TEFL btw) and be COMPLETELY inadequate to teach prathom kids. why? because teaching young learners has much more to do with a teachers personality than knowledge. argue this pt all day, but its true. this is exactly why many successful teachers of YL (young learners) dont have degrees. in fact, it could be argued that degrees may in fact lessen ones potential in terms of YL, i.e. the uni years dull ones ability to relate to YL perhaps..

While I would also argue that degrees are not a necessity, I think this post exemplifies why discussions on this topic are often so poor here.

you can have lots of fancy smancy degrees ( i have one + a TEFL btw) and be COMPLETELY inadequate to teach prathom kids

And you can have "lots of fancy smancy degrees" and be an excellent teacher.

argue this pt all day, but its true

Trying to present opinion as fact with absolutely nothing to back it up.

in fact, it could be argued that degrees may in fact lessen ones potential in terms of YL, i.e. the uni years dull ones ability to relate to YL perhaps

It would be interesting if you could point us to some reference or research to back that up.

this thread already includes a # of posts declaring that people without degrees have no business teaching; this is just nonsense when it comes to YL. do you honestly believe that your avg. 45 year old with a BA ED, and lets even throw in a Masters in Logistics, stands a chance in a P2 classroom? come on, bud. ill agree that qualifications are needed for secondary, and of course uni and beyond -- trained people are definitely preferable to untrained -- but i have yet to hear of a TEFL course which adequately prepares someone to teach YL. in other words, you can either teach YL or you cant. its not based on some degree or your past work experience; its based on your personality and ability to relate to the kids. to make one clarification: im not referring to EP, Bilingual, Intl. classrooms here, but your avg. general program.

studies? are you one of those guys who likes to reference some random study to back up everything they say? most studies mean nothing and are refuted/contradicted time and time again. im merely making common sense judgments here. you dont see how a sterilized university situation might lessen ones capability to teach YL?

Edited by samsara

The two daftest arguments I've ever heard are;

-people with degrees don't make good teachers

-rich people are miserable

While both these arguments may bring solace to some people they are also both drivel.

I've already said that I don't feel that a degree is necessary for this kind of teaching.

But you are falling into the same trap as others, in that you seem to want to argue that there are only 2 available choices: 1) people without degrees who have a good personality for teaching children, or 2) overqualified people who don't have the right personality to teach kids.

studies? are you one of those guys who likes to reference some random study to back up everything they say? most studies mean nothing and are refuted/contradicted time and time again. im merely making common sense judgments here.

The claim that you have made is genuinely interesting and something worth following up on - even in a random study that has others contradicting it.

you dont see how a sterilized university situation might lessen ones capability to teach YL?

No, I don't. Especially when a lot of Education/TESOL degrees probably have a strong practical element and may be taken part-time by teachers who are 'in the field.'

Edited by KhaoNiaw

I've already said that I don't feel that a degree is necessary for this kind of teaching.

But you are falling into the same trap as others, in that you seem to want to argue that there are only 2 available choices: 1) people without degrees who have a good personality for teaching children, or 2) overqualified people who don't have the right personality to teach kids.

studies? are you one of those guys who likes to reference some random study to back up everything they say? most studies mean nothing and are refuted/contradicted time and time again. im merely making common sense judgments here.

The claim that you have made is genuinely interesting and something worth following up on - even in a random study that has others contradicting it.

you dont see how a sterilized university situation might lessen ones capability to teach YL?

No, I don't. Especially when a lot of Education/TESOL degrees probably have a strong practical element and may be taken part-time by teachers who are 'in the field.'

wasnt my intention to come off as representing only 2 choices. just seemed were dealing with polar opposites on this thread, so i followed suit; perhaps this is part of the problem with these threads...

the crux of what im getting at is this. teaching YLs is less an acquired skill gained through strict studying and training than it is an almost innate ability. in this way, a degree, which may very much aid in teaching YL, DOES NOT INHERENTLY guarantee success; AND i would argue that the personalized, me-first environment that uni often presents may actually further decrease ones innate ability to teach YL rather than enhance it.

there are courses advertised to be extensions of celta for YL but ive never heard much praise about them. http://www.eccthai.com/training/celtyl_certificate.asp

Edited by samsara

Of course, in the overdeveloped world, primary students are taught by professional educators who have been trained in child psychology, child development, child pedagogy, etc.

While CELTA only prepares its students to teach adults (and you have to hope they offer the YL course some day when you're available), the other courses claim to include YL material in their four week courses. Of course, you have to have some aptitude or emotional capacity for the tykes. And you can't expect a four week course to teach you 12 semester hours of tertiary education in childhood education.

I meant for us to discuss secondary education (7th to 12th grades, ages 12 to 18) as well here.

Educational theories run out of the classroom along with stray dogs when class size exceeds 40 and 45.

Of course, in the overdeveloped world, primary students are taught by professional educators who have been trained in child psychology, child development, child pedagogy, etc.

While CELTA only prepares its students to teach adults (and you have to hope they offer the YL course some day when you're available), the other courses claim to include YL material in their four week courses. Of course, you have to have some aptitude or emotional capacity for the tykes. And you can't expect a four week course to teach you 12 semester hours of tertiary education in childhood education.

I meant for us to discuss secondary education (7th to 12th grades, ages 12 to 18) as well here.

Educational theories run out of the classroom along with stray dogs when class size exceeds 40 and 45.

all too true.

first off, what levels are we talking about here? are we referring to prathom solely or opening up the discussion to education as a whole? for the sake of this post, im gonna assume the former.

honestly, you can have lots of fancy smancy degrees ( i have one + a TEFL btw) and be COMPLETELY inadequate to teach prathom kids. why? because teaching young learners has much more to do with a teachers personality than knowledge. argue this pt all day, but its true. this is exactly why many successful teachers of YL (young learners) dont have degrees. in fact, it could be argued that degrees may in fact lessen ones potential in terms of YL, i.e. the uni years dull ones ability to relate to YL perhaps...

lets generalize. there are some really good teachers here in thailand. there are some really bad ones. the bad ones teach mainly because its the only way they can stay here. its as simple as that. among this lot ARE IN FACT a good # of stoned lesbians and cockcentric guys in their 20s/30s. if you havent encountered any, you can hardly say youve been around much. most thai schools dont give a rats ass about english or education of any kind for that matter. thai teachers are underqualified; likewise, farangs are as well.

Well, the MOE can't give people teacher's licenses based on personality. Perhaps a way to screen a teacher's personality might be making the qualification taking coursework about teaching that lasts more than a month (how about four years) and/or teachers that have been observed teaching in a classroom for a full term...I believe that's called an education degree.

Some of the people that are teaching so that they can stay in Thailand (as opposed to teachers that came to Thailand to teach) are good teachers. Teaching is learned by doing it and making mistakes, but the coursework in education does point out some of the pitfalls of classroom management and strategies for teaching different kinds of learners.

I wouldn't say that a teacher of young learners in the sticks on 20K a month should be required to have a degree. At a certain point, the salaries and the conditions in some schools will have to improve in order to be able to realistically require degrees for all teachers. The Thai education system really does need to expect more of itself before it expects more of its teachers.

[Firstly I'll go on record as a non-degree holder, I do however have 5 tertiary qualifications which amount to about four years of 5 days a week, 6 hours a day in the classroom and heavy homework loads. I also spent several postings in the military as an instructor of electronics theory. Reading the above posts has provided me with some amusement (and I thank you for that). My youngest son has a double degree in Law and International studies which he managed to complete with first class honours in 4 years and he would be the first to tell you that they were hardly arduous years, with some weeks requiring attendance at only a handful of lectures.

My point is that a "degree" holder may not always be better educated than a non-degree holder. I think I have made it clear in previous posts on TV that my motivation for coming to Thailand was not to earn "pennies" but to try and help Thai children have a better understanding of the English language. I have now arrived in Bangkok and am actively seeking employment, not having a degree is proving to be a problem but I'm sure I will get a job sooner or later. Many of you suggested I should go up country to teach and if I were single I would be there in a heartbeat, but my wife likes her creature comforts and it was enough of a stretch to get her to agree to come in the first place.

Sorry I digress, at the end of the day I believe if a person is motivated to do a good job for the children and has sufficient academic qualifications then they should be allowed to teach. This thread as I see it is about what constitutes "sufficient academic qualifications?" and therein lies the rub, who ### knows? :o

[Firstly I'll go on record as a non-degree holder, I do however have 5 tertiary qualifications which amount to about four years of 5 days a week, 6 hours a day in the classroom and heavy homework loads. I also spent several postings in the military as an instructor of electronics theory. Reading the above posts has provided me with some amusement (and I thank you for that). My youngest son has a double degree in Law and International studies which he managed to complete with first class honours in 4 years and he would be the first to tell you that they were hardly arduous years, with some weeks requiring attendance at only a handful of lectures.

My point is that a "degree" holder may not always be better educated than a non-degree holder. I think I have made it clear in previous posts on TV that my motivation for coming to Thailand was not to earn "pennies" but to try and help Thai children have a better understanding of the English language. I have now arrived in Bangkok and am actively seeking employment, not having a degree is proving to be a problem but I'm sure I will get a job sooner or later. Many of you suggested I should go up country to teach and if I were single I would be there in a heartbeat, but my wife likes her creature comforts and it was enough of a stretch to get her to agree to come in the first place.

Sorry I digress, at the end of the day I believe if a person is motivated to do a good job for the children and has sufficient academic qualifications then they should be allowed to teach. This thread as I see it is about what constitutes "sufficient academic qualifications?" and therein lies the rub, who ### knows? :o

well said.

people place so much prestige on degrees when, in fact, like you said, theyre tantamount to a joke much of the time. i know firsthand how little work is required at most larger universities in the states. im not saying a degree is worthless, but it doesnt exactly equate to what some seem to think.

once hiring season comes around again (feb-may) you should have no trouble finding a gig.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what I think about the neccesity of a degree.

The fact still remains that the Thai authorities want qualifications and this is true of most countries.

Even with post-graduate qualifications, teaching remains insecure work here in LOS.

I personally feel that life will get harder here for undergraduates who want to teach.

As scandals involving native speakers continue to occur the need for a white face becomes less important.

There is an almost endless supply of Filliino teachers who not only speak well but also have qualifications.

I know that most Thais I meet are surprised when they hear a farang doesn't have a degree.

They are shocked when they here that these degree-less people are teaching children.

I know that many non-degree teachers are now currently studying for degrees here in LOS or via distance learning.

I admire their dedication and think it shows that they are serious about the job.

It's always surprising how they often see the value of the degree once they have one.

If the shit hits the fan the more qualified teacher can easily find work in nearby countries.

I don't think the same is true for people with just a TEFL certificate.