Qualifications To Teach Efl In Thailand To Thai Tykes

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what I think about the neccesity of a degree.

The fact still remains that the Thai authorities want qualifications and this is true of most countries.

If the shit hits the fan the more qualified teacher can easily find work in nearby countries.

I don't think the same is true for people with just a TEFL certificate.

I think that is 100%.

The argument about degree holders v non-degree holders is going to be pretty pointless when the Thai authorities are requesting degrees.

The fact that a non-degree holder is perhaps a GREAT teacher is irrelevant. Many many jobs will be closed to you if you do not have a degree. Thats a fact.

I do know of a couple of non degree holding teachers who ARE good at what they do and genuinely want to succeed. They have now enrolled in degree courses in Thai Universities. You may laugh at that............we know for a fact they WILL NOT FAIL. Point is...........they will HAVE the degree and will still be working here.

Yet the TEFL providers who are still conducting courses in Thailand are training non-degreed teachers to teach in Thailand. Perhaps the fat lady hasn't started singing yet, so it's not over. However, there is no ten-year career awaiting those who don't have degrees. Maybe not four years in major cities.

we know for a fact they WILL NOT FAIL.

This may be true for some universities, but certainly not all. The words: "We know for a fact" never hold water.

Apologies. Its an expression .

I do know.......FOR A FACT ................ if you are caught with false credentials you are finished here.

Sometimes it does hold water.............but i,m nit-picking. :o

I am a retired teacher from the USA (Arizona) living in Thailand. My credentials include over a quarter century of teaching and a MA in Education. Before anyone goes into attack mode over my writing skills - please understand that there are some notable gaps in my education - like a missing high school diploma. Besides I was not a traditional classroom teacher. My teaching career was in Special Education (emotionally and mentally handicapped). I did spend a considerable amount of my life in the teaching arena and feel a need to contribute something to the discussion of qualified foreign teachers in Thailand.

Arizona is known as "the land of contrasts" for many reasons other than geographical. It has one of the stricter teacher certification systems in the USA - while promoting one of the most progressive experimental education programs in the nation.

Arizona has more “charter schools” than any other state. Charter schools are allowed to hire teachers who do not hold a valid teaching certificate.

Arizona has tracked the progress of the students enrolled in regular public education and in charter schools.

Required standardized testing showed that some charter schools had achievement scores equal to or higher than those of traditional public schools. The charter school debate is complex and involves more issues than teacher certification.

There are many variables in any productive learning environment. It obviously helps if the teacher is qualified to be an instructional leader.

A qualified teacher possesses more than a degree, a diploma, or a certificate.

A qualified teacher is endowed with intelligence, compassion, dedication, self-motivation, a suitable personality, an open mind, a willingness to learn, etc.............................................................................

A school administrator should not feel compelled to hire someone simply because they have a certificate stating they have passed some academic standard. An intensive personal interview should screen for other qualities of the candidate. A responsible school administrator should monitor a teacher after the hiring process.

All this said - Thailand’s education system - like the education system of most countries - is constrained by budget limitations and an available pool of qualified teaching candidates willing to work for a teacher's salary.

A compromise in hiring practices without compromising the quality of education would seemingly be the best prescription for remedying Thailand’s need for foreign language teachers. Thailand may be in desperate need of foreign teachers - but should not hire desperate people. Close and careful monitoring of all teachers - especially foreign teachers whose backgrounds are an unknown factor - is key to insuring Thai students get the best possible education.

Foreign teachers who are hired but subsequently found to be of questionable quality or character should be culled and blacklisted by the education system in Thailand - they should not be allowed to pass around from school to school.

There are many variables in any productive learning environment. It obviously helps if the teacher is qualified to be an instructional leader.

A qualified teacher is endowed with intelligence, compassion, dedication, self-motivation, a suitable personality, an open mind, a willingness to learn, etc.............................................................................

A school administrator should not feel compelled to hire someone simply because they have a certificate stating they have passed some academic standard. An intensive personal interview should screen for other qualities of the candidate. A responsible school administrator should monitor a teacher after the hiring process.

All this said - Thailand’s education system - like the education system of most countries - is constrained by budget limitations and an available pool of qualified teaching candidates willing to work for a teacher's salary.

A compromise in hiring practices without compromising the quality of education would seemingly be the best prescription for remedying Thailand’s need for foreign language teachers. Thailand may be in desperate need of foreign teachers - but should not hire desperate people. Close and careful monitoring of all teachers - especially foreign teachers whose backgrounds are an unknown factor - is key to insuring Thai students get the best possible education.

Foreign teachers who are hired but subsequently found to be of questionable quality or character should be culled and blacklisted by the education system in Thailand - they should not be allowed to pass around from school to school.

I,ve edited most of your post regarding ARIZONA because it is not, and never will be, relevent to Thailand.

Whilst I agree with most of what you say, you are not going to change ANYTHING about the system in Thailand. Any changes will only come from within.

We can only do the best that we can do within the Thai educational system.

I wouldn't say that a teacher of young learners in the sticks on 20K a month should be required to have a degree

Of course not - it's ridiculous that my old buddy in Nam Pong, who has been teaching young kids since his retirement 20 years ago, should be banished from the country he has lived in for 35 years. He is a retired seaman with no degree. Although he gets about 10,000 a month, he doesn't need it.

Thanks to hcvc for mentioning several things that haven't been emphasized lately in these discussions. Quoting only his applicable comments,

A qualified teacher possesses more than a degree, a diploma, or a certificate. A qualified teacher is endowed with intelligence, compassion, dedication, self-motivation, a suitable personality, an open mind, a willingness to learn, etc. A school administrator should not feel compelled to hire someone simply because they have a certificate stating they have passed some academic standard. An intensive personal interview should screen for other qualities of the candidate. A responsible school administrator should monitor a teacher after the hiring process.
I have put in bold the sentences which kept John Mark Karr from gaining long term employment in any school of the world, and which ought to keep any applicant without those qualities listed, to work one day in Thailand.

I,ve edited most of your post regarding ARIZONA because it is not, and never will be, relevent to Thailand.

Whilst I agree with most of what you say, you are not going to change ANYTHING about the system in Thailand. Any changes will only come from within.

We can only do the best that we can do within the Thai educational system.

You mangaged to stike my introduction (guess who I am is irrelevant also). My comments about the education system in Arizona were meant to offer perspective to readers about learning models and methods. Maybe what I had to say was boring for you - but may have proven to be informative to others. I do not share your pessimism about change. Certainly change can be intitated from within - but external pressure - or guidance - can help facilitate change. I also disagree with your comment that - "We can only do the best that we can do within the Thai education system." There should always be motivation for improvement - especially in the field of education.

The debate over degree or no degree is one thing, but a firm grasp of the language you are teaching is a must. I was introduced to an English teacher recently who spoke very poorly. He said things like "they was........" and "get it?"

He was able to find employment here in BKK.

I asked people to stay on topic. As all you non-newbies knew (and as newbies would know if they had read the forum rules for all of ThaiVisa), we don't comment on moderating issues. And every forum I've ever used (ten to twenty), allowed members to post excerpts. Please, carry on the discussion. Several posts deleted from view.