Toyota Hilux Is Highly Dangerous According To The Swedish Motoring Magazine "teknikens Värld"

Kaysfeld

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wheels magazine, COTY 2007:

TOYOTA KLUGER

Impressive drivetrain hampered by fundamentally flawed dynamics.

A Toyota Kluger Grande lying forlornly on its side will remain one of the enduring images of Wheels COTY 2007. However, it would be a mistake to assume that this one incident sealed Kluger's fate as a round one ejectee. By the time Bulmer went for his wild ride, Toyota's new mid-size soft-roader was already on the nose with all of the judging panel.

Even with stability control some vehicles can be dangerous as one motoring journalist found out. But I would think ESC is something that should be standard on all vehicles.

Wheels magazine, COTY 2007:

TOYOTA KLUGER

Impressive drivetrain hampered by fundamentally flawed dynamics.

A Toyota Kluger Grande lying forlornly on its side will remain one of the enduring images of Wheels COTY 2007. However, it would be a mistake to assume that this one incident sealed Kluger's fate as a round one ejectee. By the time Bulmer went for his wild ride, Toyota's new mid-size soft-roader was already on the nose with all of the judging panel.

Even with stability control some vehicles can be dangerous as one motoring journalist found out. But I would think ESC is something that should be standard on all vehicles.

I agree.

ESC shouldn't be that expensive to develope to any car in our computerage. Why take the chance without it. But the problem is that ESC doesn't sell any cars in certain markets like Thailand. A smart newly designed useless spoiler will make the car sell better, not at safety thing like ESC

• 4 weeks later...
You (the clip) didn't mention which Toyota Hilux. Was it a current model? If so, what model? Looking at pics means nothing. Is it an intrinsic engineering problem? How does the COG (centre of gravity) compare between both vehicles in the clip? The whole thing was in Swedish.

What about older vehicles? What about the old Toyota Landcruisers that I love? I guarantee that these older vehicles would fail under such tests.

A ridiculous post especially since there has not been any factual data to back this up (ie driver ability, engineering etc). BTW, how does one perfectly equate driver ability since most people on earth need instructions upon how to breath? And what about the number of people that drive automatics? Does that come into the equation? Were the vehicles in the clip "automatic" ? It sounds a bit like the guy who loves to quote Ferrari & "racing techniques" in an otherwise "average driver" forum.

Totally useless post. Next time you get an idea about driving, make sure that you spend your energy upon learning how to drive...particularly in a "manual" vehicle.

lets take this from the top...

the Swedish magazine that conducted the test on 6 pick ups (BT-50, Ranger, Navara, Hilux, L200 SPORTERO & D-Max), is a highly recognised publication in all Scandanavia. The Swedes are take pride in their standards of auto safety (Volvo manages to always aquire high if not the highest ratings for all classes of vehicles so much so their name is virually synonymous with safety). So when they tested Mercedes-Benz A-Class and it failed they demanded that the problems be rectified and the all sold vehicles be retro-fitted before allowing sales to continue, the German car-maker absorbed all losses and and complied. These aren't a bunch of jokers who didn't have anything better to do; they are professionals. The average driver would most likely ended up overturning the vehicle on its hood to a skidding stop, stock tyres or not. The vehicle has a high centre of gravity. The professional driver here managed to compensate and bring the vehicle back down on all fours. ESC programmes or non, there was only one pick up, i.e. L200 that had it, while all the rest of the pick-ups didnt have, yet they managed to do fine. This wasn't a one safety test, but a showdown of six popular cost effective options trying to determine which is the best all round performer. The Hilux failing an emergency manouver at 57 km/hr caught them off-guard as well.

I'm from Trinidad (just stumbled across the forum), and our imports more or less, mirrors yours. Don't think for a second that you won't use such a manouver to avoid an accident. Here there were two incidents where the Hilux in question flipped on its head as the ''ordinary'' driver tried to avoid another vehicle that 'gave him ah bad-drive' as we say here. Essentially some speeding moron swerved infornt of him and pulled away while braking to avoid a collision; he flipped and the moron sped of unscathed. The man was cruising at just about 60 km/hr. This is the real concern: a vehicle flipping at such a low speed on a flat straight-way.

The magazine is in Swedish, but still check it out as numbers are still numbers, and anyone who is familiar with road test reports can understand the article's high points. It really is a pity that its not in English...

BTW, did you all know that the Nissan Navara failed to meet EURO NCAP safety requirements, and they had to recall their pick-up and modify them before getting acceptable ratings??? So there are actually two releases of the Navara for 2008... bet you guys didn't know that :o

Anyways...regards,

M1

ps:

all pick-ups are model year 2008

all were manual except Isuzu D-Maz and Nissan Navara

all were 2.5 TD-i except the Isuzu D-Max (3.0)

and one more thing, don't confuse horsepower (rate of use of torque) with torque (actual turning force at the wheel)

It's a two year old news, for christsakes, Motor.

Toyota has already released a new model with stability control as standard.

Mitsu Triton that was tested in Sweden had it already but it's stil not available on any models sold in Thailand, from any other car maker.

It's a two year old news, for christsakes, Motor.

Toyota has already released a new model with stability control as standard.

Mitsu Triton that was tested in Sweden had it already but it's stil not available on any models sold in Thailand, from any other car maker.

Already thank god. They are surrely fast those Toyota guys. Their fastness must have saved many life.

And that they release this ESC on all their pickup/fortuner models, and not only on their rarely sold top model will surrely also save many life.

Happy safe new year.

Edited by Kaysfeld

Just a few questions and points about this thread.

- The test refers to the 4x4 raised pick ups. Is there any info on the newly released 2WD models (not the high COG ones)?

- The 'article' in the Bangkok reads like an ad, I'd be very surprised if they weren't paid to print it. The BP also took part if a car economy test in which they were driving from Phuket to Bkk at 120 - 140kmh.

- I think the majority of owners never need really need 4x4. Many would never use it at all and of those that do, they probably could get away without it. As for clearance, an everyday pickup has plenty of that.

So it's not just Somchai who isn't interested in safety, because the high COG is showy, but dangerous (not just because of it's handling). The thread on sports cars is interesting with ppl boasting of how fast they can drive from Pattaya to Bkk at speeds up 180kmh (and we all thought the Thais were the problem)!

- I've never had an accident and having been driving/riding in Thailand for 15 years, with many long trips. I drive a regular sedan that handles fairly well. Swerving suddenly at 60kmh+ is common here. I'm considering a pick up because I really need one, but will be driving much slower.

The turbo pickups are overpowered, the combination of this, idiotic drivers and crazy road conditions is truly scary.

The turbo pickups are overpowered, the combination of this, idiotic drivers and crazy road conditions is truly scary.

Very true, I put it down to an inferiority complex(maybe in a sexual way) with these drivers - they need a big vehicle and have to drive aggressively. :o

Very true, I put it down to an inferiority complex(maybe in a sexual way) with these drivers - they need a big vehicle and have to drive aggressively. :o

Or some people actually need a big vehicle. I'll admit there are idiots out there driving trucks like mine who don't actually need them. But there are also an equally large number of dim wits in little cars who apparently have some envy and can not eloquently express this without resorting to infantile speculations that involve base desires which speak more of their mental health than that of the drivers of vehicles larger than their own.

Very true, I put it down to an inferiority complex(maybe in a sexual way) with these drivers - they need a big vehicle and have to drive aggressively. :D

Neeranam, I was picking out a few Mazdas from my grille after my trip down fron Loei along with various other small things like flies and mosquitos.

Also my knob was scraping along the ground and I'm 7 Foot tall. :o

Maybe its the man in the small car who is envious, I can honestly say that when I'm in my Fortuner, I don't feel envious of a guy driving a Mazda, an X5 maybe but a Mazda !!

C'mon Neeranam, you cannot be serious.

Trucks and large SUV's rule in Thailand, maybe not if you're driving round the city, but if you're a regular all round traveller, they cannot be beat, you know it and I know it.

And guess what, that's why I bought one.

When I was last in Khon Kaen Big C eating MK Suki I looked out window and mentioned to the missus that a car I noticed outside maybe that of some Farang who lives in KK who goes by the name Neeranam, then it done a 180 degree turn and headed back the way it came, yes, it wasn't you in your car, it was some 7 year old kid playing with his radio controlled toy car he'd just got for christmas..... :D:D:D

Edited by Maigo6

The turbo pickups are overpowered

Urghh...

The most powerful of Thai sold trucks, Nissan, has 174 hp.

Ford F150 has power ranging between 248 and 320 hp.

That is nearly twice as much as Vigo.

Yeah, I had left that alone also. But if he thought that a 3,0L turbo-charged diesel engine in a pickup was overkill, what would he say about the Dodge Ram SRT-10? 8,3L V-10 with 500 BHP and 525 lb-ft of torque?

VSC Vigo has been out for a couple of weeks only, I'm not sure it's available in Europe yet - Thailand is their main design and production base.

Yeah I was pretty surprised the new Vigo seems to have everything and the kitchen sink. Electric seats, all sorts of electronic driving aids like VSC traction control, ABS, etc etc. Toyota is doing a good job there.

I am envious! My Fortuner doesn't have that stuff, despite that "Exclusive" label (haha)! I guess that's how they get us to buy new cars even though we have a perfectly working older one already :o

Anyway, that should put the roll-over rumors to rest. I don't think it was a problem in the first place, really. My friend has had a Vigo since it came out and he's driving this car as fast as it will possibly go and didn't manage to roll it over. It's a high clearance truck so you can't expect it to corner like a Porsche but I just don't think the rollover risk is anything out of the ordinary.

Yeah, I had left that alone also. But if he thought that a 3,0L turbo-charged diesel engine in a pickup was overkill, what would he say about the Dodge Ram SRT-10? 8,3L V-10 with 500 BHP and 525 lb-ft of torque?

I don't know what he would have said, but I know what American consumers have said: $4 Bn bailout!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1230944551...=googlenews_wsj

:o

I don't know what he would have said, but I know what American consumers have said: $4 Bn bailout!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1230944551...=googlenews_wsj

:o

Oww, touche good sir, touche.

VSC Vigo has been out for a couple of weeks only, I'm not sure it's available in Europe yet - Thailand is their main design and production base.

Yeah I was pretty surprised the new Vigo seems to have everything and the kitchen sink. Electric seats, all sorts of electronic driving aids like VSC traction control, ABS, etc etc. Toyota is doing a good job there.

I am envious! My Fortuner doesn't have that stuff, despite that "Exclusive" label (haha)! I guess that's how they get us to buy new cars even though we have a perfectly working older one already :o

Anyway, that should put the roll-over rumors to rest. I don't think it was a problem in the first place, really. My friend has had a Vigo since it came out and he's driving this car as fast as it will possibly go and didn't manage to roll it over. It's a high clearance truck so you can't expect it to corner like a Porsche but I just don't think the rollover risk is anything out of the ordinary.

So you don't think a the rollover risk is anything out of the ordanary in a truck?

Just look at the accident statistics, they tell it all.

It is also pure logic that a high truck will have a much higher risk of rollover that a lower normale car.

Sure a VSC system (ESC) can move the margins a bit, but it can't change the laws of physics. A car with a higher point of gravity will roll earlier than a car with a lower one. Nothing can change that.

That you friend haven't rolled yet doesn't mean that it will not happen some day.

There are also heavy smokers out there that haven't got cancer yet, but nobody think that they aren't in a big risk of shorting their life with many years.

The turbo pickups are overpowered

Urghh...

The most powerful of Thai sold trucks, Nissan, has 174 hp.

Ford F150 has power ranging between 248 and 320 hp.

That is nearly twice as much as Vigo.

I would say those pick ups are also well over-powered. The big difference is the US enforces it's rules, drivers are educated and the roads themselves are safer (clearly painted lines etc.). What would happen in the US if you were driving at 140kmh in a 80 zone with a 3 year old in the front seat without a sear belt?

I would say those pick ups are also well over-powered. The big difference is the US enforces it's rules, drivers are educated and the roads themselves are safer (clearly painted lines etc.). What would happen in the US if you were driving at 140kmh in a 80 zone with a 3 year old in the front seat without a sear belt?

I'll take no on the spot tea money for 300 THB Alex.

So you don't think a the rollover risk is anything out of the ordanary in a truck?

Just look at the accident statistics, they tell it all.

It is also pure logic that a high truck will have a much higher risk of rollover that a lower normale car.

Sure a VSC system (ESC) can move the margins a bit, but it can't change the laws of physics. A car with a higher point of gravity will roll earlier than a car with a lower one. Nothing can change that.

VSC/ESC system does not allow vehicles to reach speeds and conditions that would result in a rollover.

Vigo is not higher than any of the trucks it was compared with, that's what this thread is all about - safety among pickup trucks.

And yes, I'd love to see those acident statistics that "tell it all", especially as related to cars with/without stability control systems.

I would say those pick ups are also well over-powered.

YOU might say that. Overpowered comparing to what? Your lawnmower?

F150 is pretty much a standard for pickups of all makes and models, that's why I chose it as an example and not that super Dodge in the first place.

By that standard all Thai trucks are severly UNDERpowered.

They can hardly break 100mph speed and 0-100kmh time is around 12 sec, I guess top F150 would do 0-100mph in that time, and it's even higher than Thai trucks.

....that's what this thread is all about - safety among pickup trucks.

Not sure about that, I think it's about the 4X4 pick-ups, big difference in terms of height.

I would say those pick ups are also well over-powered.
YOU might say that. Overpowered comparing to what? Your lawnmower?

I don't have a lawnmower and it's not about comparisons, but rather about what's needed. These cars are sold as utility vehicles, they receive tax breaks for this reason and do not have the handling and safety features of other cars. They need to be strong, but not fast. Sure power is needed for overtaking, but 174hp isn't.

F150 is pretty much a standard for pickups of all makes and models,

Where?

By that standard all Thai trucks are severly UNDERpowered.

They can hardly break 100mph speed and 0-100kmh time is around 12 sec, I guess top F150 would do 0-100mph in that time, and it's even higher than Thai trucks.

Do you think a pick up needs to do over 170 kmh or get to 100 in less than 12 secs?

All trucks in that test were 4x4. Most trucks sold here are 2wd with raised suspension to make them look like 4wd models.

0-100 in 12 sec is average Thai vehicle speed, from Honda Jazz to Corolla Altis. Why should pickups be slower than that? In the states average speeds are higher, so their trucks are faster, too.

If you ever tried to pass a convoy of ten wheel trucks on a two lane country road going uphill, against incoming traffic, you wouldn't be saying that 174hp is more than enough or 0-100 in 12 sec is a dangerous acceleration level. You have only few precious seconds for your overtaking manuevres or you'd be crawling at 20km/h for the next 50 km behind those loaded beasts.

All trucks in that test were 4x4. Most trucks sold here are 2wd with raised suspension to make them look like 4wd models.

Are you sure? I'd say most are the regular height 2WD.

0-100 in 12 sec is average Thai vehicle speed, from Honda Jazz to Corolla Altis. Why should pickups be slower than that?

For the same reason that sedans can't carry huge loads, because it's not what they're meant for.

In the states average speeds are higher, so their trucks are faster, too.

If you ever tried to pass a convoy of ten wheel trucks on a two lane country road going uphill, against incoming traffic, you...

...would be a complete idiot.
You have only few precious seconds for your overtaking manuevres or you'd be crawling at 20km/h for the next 50 km behind those loaded beasts.

There are no roads in Thailand that go uphill for 50kmh. Patience and safety go hand in hand, there will be a safer opportunity to overtake.

Edited by Smithson

Well, pickup trucks are not meant to carry huge loads either, and they are not meant to go at the speed of ten wheel trucks. If they were built that way no one would buy them.

There are plenty of roads where you need all the acceleration and all the power to overtake safely.

Try the road from Kabin Buri to Korat, it has very heavy and very slow lorry traffic and it goes mostly uphill, I'd guess for about 50km. EVERYONE and his dog try to overtake the trucks there on every possible twist and turn. I haven't driven around Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son, it must be even worse there.

Well, pickup trucks are not meant to carry huge loads either, and they are not meant to go at the speed of ten wheel trucks. If they were built that way no one would buy them.

There are plenty of roads where you need all the acceleration and all the power to overtake safely.

Try the road from Kabin Buri to Korat, it has very heavy and very slow lorry traffic and it goes mostly uphill, I'd guess for about 50km. EVERYONE and his dog try to overtake the trucks there on every possible twist and turn. I haven't driven around Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son, it must be even worse there.

I think the problem is that because of the low taxes, pick ups are good value and have become family cars. So now they have similar features and power to sedans, without the handling, breaking etc (especially when not carrying loads) - this is what I meant by overpowered.

If there is any need for acceleration it's for overtaking, the problem with more power is it may encourage ppl to overtake when they shouldn't. The amount of idiots on the roads here is incredible. Hopefully one day attitudes towards safety and prevention will improve, but I'm not optimistic.

I think the problem is that because of the low taxes, pick ups are good value and have become family cars. So now they have similar features and power to sedans, without the handling, breaking etc (especially when not carrying loads) - this is what I meant by overpowered.

If there is any need for acceleration it's for overtaking, the problem with more power is it may encourage ppl to overtake when they shouldn't. The amount of idiots on the roads here is incredible. Hopefully one day attitudes towards safety and prevention will improve, but I'm not optimistic.

Wow, so the fact that people want to use a product for something that it's not intended for automatically changes the sensible requirements that dictate their design? Where does personal responsibility come in? Shouldn't the actual goal be to educate people and remove the stupidity that allows them to think that a utility vehicle can be utilised in the same way as a passengar vehicle? Yes, I said it....

If there is any need for acceleration it's for overtaking, the problem with more power is it may encourage ppl to overtake when they shouldn't.

This argument has nothing to do with pickups trucks and their power, these people would do stupid things with ANY kind of vehicle.

VSC/ESC system does not allow vehicles to reach speeds and conditions that would result in a rollover.

What? Do you think that VSC/ESC glue the pickup to the road?

If you turn sharply, and your speed is high enough any car will rollover.

The speed at which it will happen increases the lower the cars point of gravity is.

Of cause advanced car design and VSC/ESC can move the limit, but it doesn't make any car/pickup immune to rollovers.

The idear of a ESC system is to move this limit maybe 5-10 km/hour. Not much maybe but enough to give you time to break your car/pickup enough to survive an sudden sharp turn.

And it will also help you to stabilize whe car/truck after the turn.

But ESC can't make miracles.

If you drive far over the limits of your car/pickup and your own limit, and have to make this sharp (emergency) turn, and you aren't able to reduce the speed quick enough, the car is in serious danger of a rollover with or without ESC.

And yes, I'd love to see those acident statistics that "tell it all", especially as related to cars with/without stability control systems.

Contributing Factors of Road Crashes in Thailand Evidence from an Accident In-Depth Study Study

Vehicle Rollover

The rollover accident is a complex type of crashes. It is considered that this type of crashes is seriously influenced by all three main factors, driver, roadway/roadside design,

and vehicle characteristic. Rollover does not occur as frequently as other types of crashes, but in case of occurring; the consequences lead to serious injuries or death.

Cargo Load

Many rollover accidents were found to have oversize cargo load that significantly increasing the height of center of gravity, reducing stability of vehicle, and hence causing

vehicle roll-over. A Static Stability Factor (SSF) was introduced by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) during 2001-2003 to represent rollover resistance rating to public.

Rollover Cases Involved in Cargo Load

Vehicle Load Estimated Load SSF Chance of Rollover

Pickup Glass 2,160 kg 1.19 24%

Pickup 8 adults and 1 child 530 kg 1.25 20%

Pickup 10 adults and 2 children 700 kg 1.30 18%

Pickup 23 adults Passengers 1,380 kg 1.27 19%

Pickup Raw Food 1,720 kg 1.27 19%

Panic-Like Steering

A panic-like steering is the action maneuvered by driver in overcorrecting the steering condition made from sudden or panic reaction mostly found in case of emergency. It may

cause vehicles losing control, consequently the vehicles move along the sideway, and eventually roll over. Six cases of rollover accidents were found as panic-like steering involved, including four pickups and two trucks. The panicsteering in all of them were caused by different emergency stories, and the steering actions were then made in order to avoid such unexpected events, however, it caused adverse outcomes.

Roadside Slope

When a vehicle runs off the carriageways, it is likely to overturn when it strikes a ditch or embankment or is tripped by soft soil. Many rollover crashes occur along freeways with grassy or dirt medians when a driver loses control at highway speeds and the vehicle slides sideways off the road and overturns when the tires dig into the dirt.

Injury Characteristics of Rollover Crashes

Out of 175 casualties involved in rollover accidents, 21 fatalities, 76 serious injuries, 68 slight injuries, and 10 no injuries were found. The injury of belted and unbelted occupants was compared. Un-belted occupants could represent either occupant did not use seatbelt or seatbelts were not installed. In total, 12-belted occupants and 163 un-belted occupants are found from total 175 occupants.

No fatality found for belted occupants, on the other hand, 21 (13%) and 75 (46%) of unbelted occupants suffered fatalities and serious injuries, respectively. It must be noted that all 21 fatalities in rollover cases were ejected from the vehicles. The findings indicate the need of seatbelt to reduce the chance of occupants to be ejected from the vehicle and suffering serious injury in rollover crashes.

Comparisons of Injury between Belted and Unbelted Occupants

Severity Total Belted Un-belted

Fatality 21 - 21 (13%)

Serious 76 1 (8%) 75 (46%)

Slight 68 4 (33%) 64 (39%)

No injury 10 7 (58%) 3 (2%)

Total 175 12 163

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT

The author would like to dedicate all of this work to late Prof. Yordphol Tanaboriboon, the first TARC manager, for his initiative scheme on road safety research contributed to Thai society.

This study doesn't involve a large number of accidents, but all the rollover vehicles involved in rollovers had a high point of gravity.

Vehicle is another major component involving in road accidents. A safer vehicle can draw the line between life and death in a road accident. As the TARC team was trained by the experts from Volvo Car Corporation, Sweden, TARC is highly capable of conducting in-depth accident investigation and computer based reconstruction to establishing the chain-of-events prior to accident to the end of accident to understand the accident mechanism based on trajectory and energy based approach of reconstruction. The latest models in the production lines of the manufacturers are

being equipped with cutting edge technologies related to safety. However, the physical dimension of the vehicle users plays a key role in capitalizing these new benefits. To Inception Report Road Safety Knowledge Development and Dissemination Thailand Accident Research Center Asian Institute of Technology 12 add more, the inclusions of new safety features are due to countervail the problems

related to safety issues in the developed countries which can be substantially different from the problems of ASEAN countries. accidents in Thailand

More about accident statistics Accidents in Thailand

About Rollover safety

Rollover: Vehicle Class Comparison Which type of vehicle is most likely to rollover?

...Is seems like it is safer to just go straight on with this car in an emergency...

1. It's not a car, it's a pick-up.

2. I would never dream of doing anything else other than steer straight, hit the brakes and let the ABS do its job.

3. Once you've driven one of these 2 ton heaps of crap for a couple of days you know exactly what they are capable of - accelerating fast and braking fast, both in a straight line. But cornering? Forget it. I've driven one for over 5 years without an accident.

I don't understand your point, Kaysfield.

Are you saying that VSC is useless? No.

Are you saying that VSC is an unwelcome addition to Vigo that would have no effect on safety? No.

Are you saying that VSC will not apply breaks and slow the car down? No.

Are you saying that increasing the speed at which the driver is able to swerve and still stay on the road does not increase safety, even if it's only by 5-10 km/h? No.

>>>

Jetset, ABS will not do its job, it doesn't really have any - it's YOUR job to steer the vehicle out of the way, not ABS's. It simply allows you to steer while braking. The actual braking distance actually increases, so if you don't steer you'll have HIGHER chance of not stopping in time in an ABS equipped vehicle.