Mae Sai Visa Run Report

FolkGuitar

I just returned from my three month visa run (my Class B Non-Im multiply entry visa requires me to leave the country for this, rather than 'show face' at CM Immigration) to Mae Sai.

For some reason, there were virtually NO OTHER PEOPLE going out of Thailand at the time, and I just strolled up to the window, showed my passport, got stamped out and continued on. At Burma immigration there were 2-3 other people ahead of me, so I had to wait almost a full minute before getting my Burmese paper. I used two $5 USD and the imm officer spent most of that minute looking at them.

After getting properly fleeced for a couple of thousand baht under the bridge purchasing stuff I really had no need for but couldn't resist, I stamped out of Burma, and again, with no one in front of me, filled out my re-entry paper and walked to the window. I think I may have woken up the Immigration officer, as for about the second or third time in seven years, he asked me to show the 20,000 baht required for entry. I had it folded up in a money clip which I brought out, but he didn't require me to count it out for him, just looked at it, stamped my passport for another 3 months Non-B entry, and sent me on my way. The officer even smiled when I said thank you and took my passport. Total time, less than another minute. Very nice way to do business.

I just returned from my three month visa run (my Class B Non-Im multiply entry visa requires me to leave the country for this, rather than 'show face' at CM Immigration) to Mae Sai.

For some reason, there were virtually NO OTHER PEOPLE going out of Thailand at the time, and I just strolled up to the window, showed my passport, got stamped out and continued on. At Burma immigration there were 2-3 other people ahead of me, so I had to wait almost a full minute before getting my Burmese paper. I used two $5 USD and the imm officer spent most of that minute looking at them.

After getting properly fleeced for a couple of thousand baht under the bridge purchasing stuff I really had no need for but couldn't resist, I stamped out of Burma, and again, with no one in front of me, filled out my re-entry paper and walked to the window. I think I may have woken up the Immigration officer, as for about the second or third time in seven years, he asked me to show the 20,000 baht required for entry. I had it folded up in a money clip which I brought out, but he didn't require me to count it out for him, just looked at it, stamped my passport for another 3 months Non-B entry, and sent me on my way. The officer even smiled when I said thank you and took my passport. Total time, less than another minute. Very nice way to do business.

when did you do your visa run, and at what time of day?

I would think that most weekends would be busier. Also I would suspect that between 11am and 3pm would be busiest due to travelling time from CM, as many visa runners are coming from there.

I also paid in US dollars and they also checked the quality of them, and actually rejected a couple a tatty looking dollar bills. Paying in US dollars here (Myanmar Imm) is the only place that gives you 50 baht to US$1- good value as the dollar will be still sinking to 30baht soon, as long as the Fed keeps cutting the rate.

ps, are the dvd shops open yet?