Gregs New Sunrise Taco Place

PadThaiGuy

Actually, the negative post was something I ignored in order not to repeat it (showing a bit of respect). You missed that and just misinterpreted my post. In addition, I never said that advertising should not be allowed. My point is that all of us could post similar threads for a huge number of fast foot places. We do not do that for an obvious reason. I understand your place is new......great......good luck with it.

What I was talking about was when someone said something negative, you didn't object to the thread. But when someone did say something positive you said this is " getting old."

How many other restaurants have asked Thaivisa members input on ideas? How many are giving Thaivisa members a party with 10% of the profits? How many others are the main sponsor of Thaivisa since 2002? Of course the answer is zero. Thats why you find threads on Sunrise Tacos versus other places opening up.

I didn't start this thread as the new expansion is not 100% open yet. But when we do, I will announce it in a special post. I do have that right per the founder of thaivisa.com and you have the right to read that thread or ignore it.

As for our Sunrise, we don't use cans or any processed food. Everything is fresh and sourced in Thailand except for the avocados which we choose to get from Australia instead of using local ones.

For many, they are very happy with our food. My goal is to make the majority happy and make money as well. I'm proud to say, we are doing that.

Happy Holidays.

Greg

www.sunrisetacos.com

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Hope nobody minds but I posted this yesterday under the other Mexican food topic about "Where to find..."

I just went to the Sunrise Tacos last night on my annual Visa extension trip to BKK. I was greeted at the door by Greg himself and we had a chat in between his running around helping/training the staff. Greg's cuisine has been inspired by the Chipotle Grill chain in the USA which I would describe as 'light' Cal-Mex food... Chipotle Grill now has 670 locations so this formula has proved very popular and successful in the USA.

If you base REAL Mexican food on East LA, Mission SF or Salinas area, or Texas, then this is not it. However, as Khun Greg has a client base consisting of Americans resident in Thailand, tourists from all countries including those who have never tasted REAL Mexican food, and the local Thai community, he has come up with a pretty good compromise. And even in Mex-American communities in the USA the TacoBell formula is quite popular.

All in all, the grilled Carnitas burrito with black beans and guacamole was a nice treat... when I travel each year to the USA I visit the REAL places in TX or CA as much as I can and get it out my system... nothing beats Mexican cuisine made with REAL lard!

BTW Tex-Mex cuisine originated in the early 1700's when Spain brought residents of the Canary Islands to settle in what is now SanAntonio and their cuisine blended blended with the indigenous Mexican cuisine.

Thank you. Enjoyed meeting you and enjoyed your post.

www.sunrisetacos.com

I'd cast a vote here for giving Sunrise a chance to work through its growing pains. The food is really good Mexican for Thailand, and I'm sure things will settle down soon. Greg seems very committed to maintaining a quality business, and that's a good sign for the future. It's also nice to hear the menu is broadening a bit... including the fish tacos...

Does that mean one can order fish burritos also???

Thanks.

Yes we have three Baja fried- fish tacos or one burrito. We use fresh red snapper for the fish.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Actually, the negative post was something I ignored in order not to repeat it (showing a bit of respect). You missed that and just misinterpreted my post. In addition, I never said that advertising should not be allowed. My point is that all of us could post similar threads for a huge number of fast foot places. We do not do that for an obvious reason. I understand your place is new......great......good luck with it.

What I was talking about was when someone said something negative, you didn't object to the thread. But when someone did say something positive you said this is " getting old."

How many other restaurants have asked Thaivisa members input on ideas? How many are giving Thaivisa members a party with 10% of the profits? How many others are the main sponsor of Thaivisa since 2002? Of course the answer is zero. Thats why you find threads on Sunrise Tacos versus other places opening up.

I didn't start this thread as the new expansion is not 100% open yet. But when we do, I will announce it in a special post. I do have that right per the founder of thaivisa.com and you have the right to read that thread or ignore it.

As for our Sunrise, we don't use cans or any processed food. Everything is fresh and sourced in Thailand except for the avocados which we choose to get from Australia instead of using local ones.

For many, they are very happy with our food. My goal is to make the majority happy and make money as well. I'm proud to say, we are doing that.

Happy Holidays.

Greg

www.sunrisetacos.com

I am sure they teach "diversion" in law school debate class :D When and where I decided to post is irrelevant to the point I was making. I suppose you think I have been reading these threads each day, just waiting for someone to finally say something positive.........then I posted :o:D

There is already a thread on Mexican food in Thailand. You can, of course, continue this one in addition to the one that talks about all of the places that serve Mexican food in Thailand. This one should give you both positive and negative input, allowing you to adjust your business model........no problem.

It would be a problem if all of the restaurant/fast-food joint owners started doing it.........that was my point.

I am glad that you are happy with what you are doing. Good luck with the "California concept." Personally, I would like to see authentic, inexpensive Tex-Mex served. A California-style fish taco is about the last thing I would want to see on any Mexican food menu.....arrggggghhhhh. But some people no doubt like it. I am guessing that perhaps Thais eat fish tacos.

Happy Holidays.

Greg

www.sunrisetacos.com

I am sure they teach "diversion" in law school debate class :D When and where I decided to post is irrelevant to the point I was making. I suppose you think I have been reading these threads each day, just waiting for someone to finally say something positive.........then I posted :o:D

There is already a thread on Mexican food in Thailand. You can, of course, continue this one in addition to the one that talks about all of the places that serve Mexican food in Thailand. This one should give you both positive and negative input, allowing you to adjust your business model........no problem.

It would be a problem if all of the restaurant/fast-food joint owners started doing it.........that was my point.

I am glad that you are happy with what you are doing. Good luck with the "California concept." Personally, I would like to see authentic, inexpensive Tex-Mex served. A California-style fish taco is about the last thing I would want to see on any Mexican food menu.....arrggggghhhhh. But some people no doubt like it. I am guessing that perhaps Thais eat fish tacos.

100,000 Mexicans live in Salinas Ca. and enjoy the fish tacos along with a variety of Baha style seafood dishes.

I think it's legitimate Mexican food.

Agreed?

Looking at the Chipotle Grill website today, they list:

41 locations in Houston, TX

40 locations in San Anotonio, TX

42 locations in Northern CA

Given the cuisine available in local restaurants owned, operated, and patronized by Mexican-Americans / Mexican citizens, it is remarkable to see how popular this 'light' cuisine has become... going to the ersatz when the real thing is available practically next door. I guess it is a healthy-cuisine and 'green' thing (free-range chickens and hogs, etc.)...

BTW in the early 1980's when I spent a lot of time in Houston, there was a Ninfa's across the street.

Well, there are also a lot of gringos in those places who don't like real Mexican food. Toned down bland burritos with plain white rice and weak sauce are perfect for lots of people. Chipotle is aimed at people who don't normally eat Mexican, I remember one of their ad campaigns on their website a couple years ago, they had a bunch of quotes from corn fed white people about how they were afraid to eat burritos, but they ended up being surprisingly delicious. Places like Baja Fresh and Rubios are a hundred times better than Chipotle for quick Mexican. Sunrise as well.

Happy Holidays.

Greg

www.sunrisetacos.com

100,000 Mexicans live in Salinas Ca. and enjoy the fish tacos along with a variety of Baha style seafood dishes.

I think it's legitimate Mexican food.

Agreed?

As stated........a fish taco is about the last thing I would want to see...."I" means "me" and not the 100,000 Mexicans that live in Salinas, California. Producing a fish taco is likely a good move in Thailand if you want to attract Thais....I think, as stated, it is something that Thais might eat. Most Thais think Mexican food is disgusting...especially beans and Mexican rice. They can't tolerate the smell. I would think some type of taco with somtom inside would work for Thais.......fish or shrimp or dried squid w/ somtom taco. It makes me sick just to think about it......but Thais just might like it.

Most Thais think Mexican food is disgusting...especially beans and Mexican rice. They can't tolerate the smell.

Greg said in an earlier post on this thread, "...We are now around 90% Thai customers on weekends at the Emporium.", so perhaps your knowledge of Thai palates is limited? I see a fair amount of Thai customers at the Soi 12 location.

I tried the fish tacos recently and thought they were fantastic. I've eaten at Sunrise maybe a 20 times and think it is a great place. Comparable to tacqueria's I am used to, albeit in the Northeast U.S.A. Greg's commitment to customer satisfaction, continuous improvement and quality are obvious by the effort he puts into this enterprise (I envy his energy), and the wonderful food.

Most Thais think Mexican food is disgusting...especially beans and Mexican rice. They can't tolerate the smell.

Greg said in an earlier post on this thread, "...We are now around 90% Thai customers on weekends at the Emporium.", so perhaps your knowledge of Thai palates is limited? I see a fair amount of Thai customers at the Soi 12 location.

I tried the fish tacos recently and thought they were fantastic. I've eaten at Sunrise maybe a 20 times and think it is a great place. Comparable to tacqueria's I am used to, albeit in the Northeast U.S.A. Greg's commitment to customer satisfaction, continuous improvement and quality are obvious by the effort he puts into this enterprise (I envy his energy), and the wonderful food.

Yes, I know nothing about Thai palates.......just been around Thais for over 20 years now :o:D and have tried to get them to eat Mexican food many times with no luck :D :D Thais in Bangkok must be alien-Thais. Anyway, it is interesting that a fast-food joint that serves Mexican food (something that many Westerners love) has a client base that is 90% Thais.......that tells me something. Thanks for that information.

Yes, I know nothing about Thai palates.......just been around Thais for over 20 years now :o:D and have tried to get them to eat Mexican food many times with no luck :D :D Thais in Bangkok must be alien-Thais. Anyway, it is interesting that a fast-food joint that serves Mexican food (something that many Westerners love) has a client base that is 90% Thais.......that tells me something. Thanks for that information.

Actually, for the most part I agee with JR - Mexican has been and gone many times over since I have been in Thailand. A number of fast food joints (Taco Time comes to mind) were unsuccessful.

The biggest problems back then were that:

1. Thais still weren't cheese fans, though pizza had become popular. Today I think cheese is almost the norm, especially with the younger generation.

2. Most of the products included beef. Even today, there are a large number of Thais who will not eat beef for various reasons including religion. But I'm sure the low quality of Thai beef didn't make things any easier.

3. Taste was too strong. Thais prefer food which doesn't have a strong taste unless there is rice to go along with it. Though I bet salsa wouldn't have been a problem at all.

Today I think perceptions are beginning to change. I'd say that the 90% of Thais at the Emporium has more to do with an upscale and international crowd who have been exposed to more international food, rather than the fact that they are actually Thai. Try to locate a Sunrise in, say, Huay Kwang or Taling Chan and I think it's a fair assumption that these outlets will fail. In fact I know one Thai who has been begging for Mexican food - but then again she grew up in California.

Sunrise can overcome some of these challenges by offering a slightly wider variety than a typical fast food shop would - so I think the fish tacos might be appreciated by some people, though I prefer beef myself. Their ability to build the dish the way the customer wants will also be a good incentive for Thais to try it out.

Yes, I know nothing about Thai palates.......just been around Thais for over 20 years now :o:Dand have tried to get them to eat Mexican food many times with no luck :D :D Thais in Bangkok must be alien-Thais. Anyway, it is interesting that a fast-food joint that serves Mexican food (something that many Westerners love) has a client base that is 90% Thais.......that tells me something. Thanks for that information.

This 90% Thai ratio to foreigners is at the Emporium which has many more Thais than foreigners as shoppers on weekends. We don't offer fish at this location but will do so at the Siam Paragon. What do most Thais order the most ?... Chicken Crispy Tacos, Nacho Supreme, Quesadillas. We are still number one in sales most days out of the other 14 restaurants in the Food Hall. In order to do this we must outsell ribs, Thai food, Chinese, Italian, Greek and Indian. These Thais then I surmise, must not have tried your cooking. As we are, in fact having luck serving them our food.

At the USA fair at the Siam Paragon which was visited mostly by Thais. We served over 95% Thais and they loved the chicken, ground beef tacos and quesadillas.

At Soi 12, as you would expect the ratio of Thais to foreigners is opposite and it is. We cater mostly to foreigners at this location and serve 250-400 foreigners everyday.

Since last Saturday, we now have a Sunrise Tacos tent as well on the Emporium property directly next to the Emporium building ( next to the Bangkok Bank in the front) Sunrise Tacos is serving margaritas and frozen fruit drinks and Subway is selling sandwiches. At this tent ( with a chandelier !) , it's mostly foreigners stopping by. Here we don't offer Mexican food but we get mostly Farang clients for Subway and our cold drinks. It's early, but it sure looks like some Thais at the Emporium are looking for Mexican food and buy from us, when we have it.

As for Tex Mex or Cali Mex or Baja Mex or whatever Mex, we cater to many people around the World. We poll our customers what they want andif its possible, we then put it on the menu.

www.sunrisetacos.com

We sure know different Thais then. Beans and rice are not directly on tacos, Quesadillas or Nacho Supreme orders ( unless they want it) but its served on the side of the plate at the Emporium. Does not put Thais off to order Mexican food. What were you trying to serve Thais with your rice and beans on it?

www.sunrisetacos.com

We sure know different Thais then. Beans and rice are not directly on tacos, Quesadillas or Nacho Supreme orders ( unless they want it) but its served on the side of the plate at the Emporium. Does not put Thais off to order Mexican food. What were you trying to serve Thais with your rice and beans on it?

www.sunrisetacos.com

If I were a businessperson operating a Mexican place in Thailand I would want to find a way to attract Thais given the obvious fact that there are far more Thais than foreigners here.....it is about making money......bottom line.

About my past experience with Mexican food and Thais........refried beans was a real turn off along with the odd Mexican rice.......most refused cheese.......most complained about the strange smell (i.e., the smell that we like in a typical Mexican restaurant).

I have visited many "Mexican" restaurants in Thailand. I often ask a waitress if Thais "will eat it Mexican food." They always say "no." I will not mention the names of the places, but you know them all.

It is good that Thais (at least in Bangkok) are starting to become familiar with Mexican food. But, eventually, this will bring some big players to Thailand and give you some serious competition. I am sure you know this........Taco Bell is just looking and waiting.

A big challenge in Bangkok--one your are no doubt aware of--is producing Mexican food in upscale, high-traffic places that are charging an arm and leg for rental space. The price of rent puts upward pressure on food prices. Taco Bell wants to produce a much cheaper product.......it will be interesting to see where they decide to locate.

Good luck and congratulations on your success........I still want Tex-Mex......but you can't do everything at once.

On a visit to the Suk 12 location the other day, I tried the current 3 fish tacos (plus rice and beans on the side) for 189 baht special. Very nicely done, and pretty tasty, and a good price for good food.

The tacos came literally jammed into the serving basket, overflowing with nice crispy greens, a good top serving of salsa and plenty of nicely done fish. Must say, the "hottest" version of the restaurant's different salsa offerings is now beginning to register on my salsa scale, which is a good thing. And I'm really glad Greg has added the choice of frijoles on the menu. They also were tasty and fairly authentically prepared, though came out with a bit of a "sitting in the serving tray" taste.

I ended up, a bit by accident, with the soft corn shell version of their tortillas, which literally were overwhelmed by the large portions of moist food inside. Next time I'll try the soft flour version, which is also available, and hopefully will stand up a bit better to all the contents.

The new expanded menu, with a lot of offerings before the original version, also is much appreciated.

Good job...John.

On a visit to the Suk 12 location the other day, I tried the current 3 fish tacos (plus rice and beans on the side) for 189 baht special. Very nicely done, and pretty tasty, and a good price for good food.

The tacos came literally jammed into the serving basket, overflowing with nice crispy greens, a good top serving of salsa and plenty of nicely done fish. Must say, the "hottest" version of the restaurant's different salsa offerings is now beginning to register on my salsa scale, which is a good thing. And I'm really glad Greg has added the choice of frijoles on the menu. They also were tasty and fairly authentically prepared, though came out with a bit of a "sitting in the serving tray" taste.

I ended up, a bit by accident, with the soft corn shell version of their tortillas, which literally were overwhelmed by the large portions of moist food inside. Next time I'll try the soft flour version, which is also available, and hopefully will stand up a bit better to all the contents.

The new expanded menu, with a lot of offerings before the original version, also is much appreciated.

Good job...John.

One more thing......I am in China at the moment and like Peking Duck. Eating it made me think of a Thai style burrito....flour tortilla with sliced duck meat inside with shredded scallions........just an idea. IMHO, I would definitely put some distance between your menu and Taco Bell's (refried beans plus rice plus cheese plus ground beef) menu. This item would probably be totally new and readily available in Chinatown in Thailand (smoked, dried duck in shrink wrap). Here they use several sauces.......one, I think, is plum based.....not sure.

I keep hearing about Taco Bell coming to Thailand. I have no inside information but Taco Bell has not been successful in any Asian locations outside of those restaurants located near US Military bases such as in Okinawa, Korea, or Philippines. Most are off-limits to local civilians. There are only a few locations in Manila and those are very recent. They seem to have scaled back in Singapore... There are no Taco Bell's in Hong Kong... 3 now in Shanghai and Shenzen.

Their approach in Thailand may be to keep sneaking Mexican-style items onto the KFC menus (both owned by YUM! Brands group as is Pizza Hut), to guage the interest -- they call both their deep-fried chicken and shrimp in a soft flour taco a 'puff' in English. Then they may try co-branding some of the company owned-and-opearated KFC units in Bangkok with Taco Bell counters. All in all a long process. Co-branding of KFC and Taco Bell is greatly expanding in the USA... and all those Thai KFC-lovers would already be in the store.

From a recent (Feb 2007) research report:

Yum did not return calls for this story, but in quarterly analyst conference calls its executive team regularly champions co-branding as
crucial to its domestic and international gro
wth. As CEO David Novak stresses during every call, in a choice- and convenience-driven fast-food marketplace, Yum currently is and always wants to be the leading multi-option provider. The franchising portion of its Web site claims its most successful co-brand combo is the KFC-Taco Bell outlet, of which it operates more than 700. It also cites 500 U.S. markets where it wants to open the taco-and-chicken stores.

The prospect of TB's potential arrival in Thailand, should that come to pass, is one that evokes greatly mixed feelings on my part.

As to their food, it's by and large terrible, whether you call it American or Mexican... and would be a bane to everyone except the local medical clinics, who would be treating everyone afterward for stomach sickness.

However, as I mull over that terrifying thought, it also occurs to me that no one would probably be more efficient and effective at spreading their version of Mexican food around Thailand from a marketing perspective, and thus helping build an interest and market among Thai people for it. (YIKES.... I can't believe I said that!!!)

In a similar analogy, it's hard to argue that Pizza Co. makes great pizza. But they and Pizza Hut are all around Thailand now, and Thai kids seem to love eating pizza. That, in turn I suppose, helps build the current and future market for GOOD and authentic pizza.... of which BKK now has quite a few good offerings.

But... boy... I shudder at the thought of TB invading Thailand. GGGRRRRRRRR................

In regards to YUM! bringing Taco Bell to Thailand anytime soon, I can say with some authority that it will likely be a long wait, if even in the near future, before we see any Nachos Bell Grande, Gorditas, or any of their other menu items in a Thailand location anytime soon. I agree with Jazzbo that it is much more likely that they dip their feet in the water through KFC menus, etc to see if there is an interest to the Thais.

I hardly doubt that they are salivating at the prospects that Sunrise Tacos, Taco Loco, and any other places are showing, even though they may be profitable standalone concepts to their respective owners. Until a Taco Bell could be placed in every Central, The Mall, Robinson, etc, it probably does not interest YUM! at all.

For now we are lucky to have the places that we have, and in my opinion, Sunrise Tacos is the best of the bunch and I will continue to eat there when I have the craving for a quick Taco or Burrito fix.

My two baht...

If I were a businessperson operating a Mexican place in Thailand...

I think many are pleased that you remain an armchair restaurateur while Greg is the visionary delivering fantastic food today.

Was in the Soi 12 (original shop) yesterday, saw six customers, five of whom were Thai.

Had the fish tacos again, simply sublime.

Edited by lomatopo

As the main sponsor of Thaivisa.com since 2002, I could easily enforce the no negativity towards a sponsor and just allow positive posts. I however like hearing both sides. In fact, I ask for constructive criticism and why I'm giving 10% of the profits to a Thaivisa party for readers views.

Greg Lange

Sunrise Tacos

www.sunrisetacos.com

Yeh, thats why i got suspended for 10 days after my coments.

As the main sponsor of Thaivisa.com since 2002, I could easily enforce the no negativity towards a sponsor and just allow positive posts. I however like hearing both sides. In fact, I ask for constructive criticism and why I'm giving 10% of the profits to a Thaivisa party for readers views.

Greg Lange

Sunrise Tacos

www.sunrisetacos.com

Yeh, thats why i got suspended for 10 days after my coments.

Wasn't it for your anti Australia comments ?

I have a bit of a habit of hitting this place at the wrong time. Last night I stopped in around 2-3AM, the place was packed which is good news for Greg (who was there by the way), but turned out to be bad news for me – they were out of ground beef.

Oh well the ham-n-cheese at 7-11 filled my late night munchy needs.

I like the place and the food – maybe I’ll have better luck next time?

็Ha ha, is Greg ever not there?! :o

Actually I go to Sunrise at least once a week (many times several times a week - been there three times already this week), and more times than not (when I visit) Greg is not there. I know he spends quite a lot of time there so it’s just a quirk of timing that I don’t see him that often. Not really a problem as generally speaking I get great service from the staff regardless of Greg’s presence.