Going Freelance

I've been an English teacher in a Bangkok language school for several years. I was thinking of one day soon going it alone and opening a one-classroom school near where most of my students live, on the outskirts of town. My wife is Thai and therefore able to be company owner and whatever else that needs to be Thai. I don't have any special need to have my name on anything, but would of course be doing all the teaching.

Can anyone see any potential pitfalls or problems? Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you in advance.

I have been thinking about doing exactly the same thing. So any replies would be of interest to me to.

My fiance' is Thai and has looked into it, but she couldn't find any information about employing a foreigner. I think you would still have to hire 4 Thais before you, yourself, could get a work permit.

As a school (even a one-classroom language school), there are particular requirements such as having MA-qualified Thai/Thais (not sure if more than is needed) involved and approval is required from the Ministry of Education. There is a lot more to go through but I haven't done it myself and don't know all the details.

A friend went through the process some years ago and wasn't meant to open until the registration and official approval had been granted. He was handing over brown envelopes at the district office for a number of months so that he could open before it was all cleared.