Thais And Looking Rich

papaya9

I'm not insecure about it at all. I live in a wealthy area in the US and see serious material excesses on a daily basis...but the difference here is that the people here who are truly wealthy don't put on a big show like you see in Thailand. Most big rich types who are used to living the large lifestyle don't have time for that nonsense.

Are you sure this is true? I think rich people the world over like to show it off.

Just some thoughts:

They buy very expensive mansions in expensive suburbs and drive very expensive cars, yachts etc. Some of the better known rich own car collections of hundreds and love to show them off. Some rich people name buildings (skyscrapers) after themselves. I think showing off goes hand in hand with being very rich...why else would they continue to amass wealth if they were so unaffected by it?

Do you think Bill Gates could handle moving down the world's richest list? Why didn't he stop when he got to one billion? Why does he display his picture on Microsoft products?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

tropo,

Imho, most of the super rich are more interested in being competitive than anything. I think Bill Gates could handle moving down from the wealthiest list, but I dont think he could handle another company knocking off Microsoft, just like Micheal Jordan couldn't stay retired. Otherwise I agree with what you wrote. It is always the jealous people who say things like "Why doesn't Oprah give more money to charity, doesn't she have enough? Why don't we increase taxes on the wealthy, don't they have enough?"

Do you think Bill Gates could handle moving down the world's richest list? Why didn't he stop when he got to one billion? Why does he display his picture on Microsoft products?

he has to handle it as he is Number Three now.

no 1 Anil Ambani (India)

no 2 Carlos Slim Helú (Mexico)

no 3 Bill Gates (U.S. of A.)

I'm not insecure about it at all. I live in a wealthy area in the US and see serious material excesses on a daily basis...but the difference here is that the people here who are truly wealthy don't put on a big show like you see in Thailand. Most big rich types who are used to living the large lifestyle don't have time for that nonsense.

Another thing to those who call me insecure- are you assuming I'm poor?

I agree with you - but given that why are you getting so worked up about it?

By implication, we can assume you're not poor, and if so why do you have the time for this 'nonsense'?

I doubt Bill Gates gets in a tissy every time he sees posers in a local Mall when he is on his travels :o

tropo,

Imho, most of the super rich are more interested in being competitive than anything. I think Bill Gates could handle moving down from the wealthiest list, but I dont think he could handle another company knocking off Microsoft, just like Micheal Jordan couldn't stay retired. Otherwise I agree with what you wrote. It is always the jealous people who say things like "Why doesn't Oprah give more money to charity, doesn't she have enough? Why don't we increase taxes on the wealthy, don't they have enough?"

To be honest, I too have to fight inner jealousy. I think it's natural, but I don't handle it by knocking the rich people...I just bottle it up inside.

Is there anyone out there who is not rich who could honestly say they are not envious of rich people?

You guys underestimate others so quickly. Perhaps your problem is that you consider yourself more intelligent than most.

Or rather don't judge other cultures or people by your own standard.

In the reverse, I can't imagine what my Grandmother from Issan would think and say if she saw 6 - 8 over-weight Americans sitting at an "all you can eat" restaurant, eating, eating and eating.

"Thais will buy a BMW and sleep on the floor in a B2000 a month room"

Oh really?

Again, another self projection post.

Scenario 1: and they were able to pay 3-12 million (not sure what the 7 series are going for nowadays, I drive a Honda) cash. Yeah sure, and they'd be renting a 2,000 Baht a month room.

Scenario 2: they finance 80-90%. Yeah sure, folks living in 2,000 Baht a month rooms would be able to afford the 80,000-100,000 a month payments.

:o

p.s. we actually have a few strips of 1,000 - 2,500 Baht a month rooms for rent in the extended family. The typical transportation is motorcycle, saleng (converted bicycle/cart type setup), or foot. On the rare occasion that someone has a car, it's either a 20 year old pickup or one of the first Mazda's that ca/ef/n b,me off the boat here.

al

Whilethisma=-0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000999999999999999i-monbl ..6yh

\|

the above comment was added by my 1 year old daughter.

my contribution should have read like this:

hengs post may be true, but that doesn't explain why the apartments i first lived in in bangkok 10+ years ago had a parking lot with about 10 beemers or benzes in it.

the top floor was all 2 bedroom suites for 12,000 and the rest was hong dios or one beds for 7-9k.

the top floor was all farang, so it would lead me to belive that the people with the expensive cars were living in single rooms.

we used to laugh about it at the time.

Edited by t.s

The bottom line? We want them to be poor and subservient. That way we can steal their women, get drunk on their streets and swan around like pigs in shit, thinking we're far superior.

When we find that many of them are rather intelligent, ambitious and - god forbid - have money in their bank accounts it upsets our view of the natural world order - hence hissy fits like that of the OP.

I absolutely agree Bendix - but I'd use the term 'Swagger' myself.

--

Anybody odds on the OP is British?

he has to handle it as he is Number Three now.

no 1 Anil Ambani (India)

no 2 Carlos Slim Helú (Mexico)

no 3 Bill Gates (U.S. of A.)

Any chance you could name your source?

Here's the lastest Forbes list published in April, 07:

post-34982-1194147880_thumb.jpg

There some info on Carlos Slim unofficially becoming the number one here

I found some info current to October 6, 07 stating that Anil Ambani has become 6th on the world's richest list here.

It would appear that Carlos Slim has edged in front of Bill Gates by about $1 billion, however Bill Gates transferred $30 billion to his Gates Foundation this year reducing his net worth considerably. You can read about that here

Considering that donation, I'm sure Bill Gates is still feeling well on top of the heap.

Here's an interesting excerpt from the above article:

At a Microsoft conference in Redmond last year, advertising executive and TV host Donny Deutsch asked Gates if he would be upset if someday he were no longer the world's richest man.

"I wish I wasn't," Gates replied. "There's nothing good that comes out of that."

"It's better than being second," Deutsch said.

"No," Gates replied. "You get more visibility as a result of it."

Edited by tropo

Yeah, and while we're at it, what about those farang men trying to 'big themselves up' and look HISO by wearing a counterfeit Rolex or Breitling? Don't they know that if you're gonna have the slightest chance of passing that off, it's best not to partner it with a soiled Beer Chang vest, a tattooeod neck, a ludicrously oversized amulet (to 'fit in'), and the obligatory four foot ten little brown accessory trailing a few feet behing him, yabbering into a mobile phone in Thai to her friends about what an idiot he is.

Oh, the shame . . .

:o:D

sounds like you were tagging along behind us as we strolled up bangles last night. you saw the same scenery it seems.

so noisy now and the tats are getting tackier.

I can see what the OP is getting at , it is about conspicuous wealth, to which some Thais (mostly from BKK often take to the extremes).

However it is a worldwide thing. A lot of people want to show off what they have and there a lot of people who react accordingly and reinforce that behaviour.

Personally it is not something I like either, but each to there own I guess. For me , money is for freedom of choice in life and increase of options of what I can do. If I want to buy something because I can really enjoy it , that is fine. But if I buy something just to prove I have the money, that sounds pretty stupid to me.

If you have ever seen one of these (conspicuous wealth) people thrown in with someone who is really wealthy but doesn't show it now that is quite funny, it can really upset the status quo.

the little cuffed shorts

!!!

I'm starting to grow a certain distaste for those. The girlfriend loves them, apparently.

Her: "They're in fashion! Don't you know anything about the latest trends?"

Me: "I don't follow trends; I have style, and style is forever." :o

Whatever happened to skirts/dresses?

and speaking of Paragon, is that place making any money do you think. does anyone actually BUY anything there??? all i see is a bunch of students and lookie-loos window shopping and like you say, trying to see and be seen. besides the starbucks and food courts and other restos, i can't help wondering if any other merchants there do any business. to me, the whole project seems like a big white elephant :o

Last time I was at Paragon, I went to the supercar corner (I know, I know ...) and there was a Maserati Quattroporte with a "SOLD" sign on the windshield. I guess that pays the rent for a few days.

You guys underestimate others so quickly. Perhaps your problem is that you consider yourself more intelligent than most.

but I am :D

The bottom line? We want them to be poor and subservient. That way we can steal their women, get drunk on their streets and swan around like pigs in shit, thinking we're far superior.

When we find that many of them are rather intelligent, ambitious and - god forbid - have money in their bank accounts it upsets our view of the natural world order - hence hissy fits like that of the OP.

I absolutely agree Bendix - but I'd use the term 'Swagger' myself.

--

Anybody odds on the OP is British?

Careful GuestHouse,

Your own stereotyping and chip on your shoulder about not being able to fit into British society when you were younger, is coming out again. OP has already said she lives in US :o

Edited by AmericanGuy1066

Ahhhhh. Now it becomes clearer. You're an American who lives in America.

Here's a tip. The world is a big place. Sometimes - in some faraway places (much further away than Baltimore even) - there are different countries, peopled by different people who speak different languages, eat different food and have different cultures.

I know they look strange. Alien even. But it doesnt make them better or worse - just different.

Really?

Or rather don't judge other cultures or people by your own standard.

In the reverse, I can't imagine what my Grandmother from Issan would think and say if she saw 6 - 8 over-weight Americans sitting at an "all you can eat" restaurant, eating, eating and eating.

This of course isn't judging another culture or people. By the way have you been to Issan lately? There are quite a lot of obese Thais here, and even when not obese, people here are constantly eating.

I like the girls trying to look Hi-So, gives me something good to look at when I have to do the shopping. I think they look cute in there little shorts.. and I am sure they have something to say about your dress sense, but the wouldnt because they are polite.

I have worked in several poor east European countries and there is a similar mentality to the Thais in that they would have the most expensive telephone yet only earn 200 euro a month. I offered a Bar girl and old Nokia after she lost hers and although serving exactly the same purpose she wouldnt use it as it wasnt flash enough.

The new rich there like to flash their wealth off like you wouldnt believe, at a christening looking around at the people it looked like a bizarre cross between Dallas/Dynassty and the latest Hip Hop group with all the bling fake tits and inches of make up.

Whilst first being taken to my old girls house to meet the family the young neice pulls up in a million baht pick up, whilst her kids lived with the grandparents wooden shack, the great grandparent told her not to buy it as there was things needed to be bought that were more important, maybe this desire by some to look like someone from Hello Magazine is seen as stupid by Thais also.

Edited by howtoescape

Yeah, and while we're at it, what about those farang men trying to 'big themselves up' and look HISO by wearing a counterfeit Rolex or Breitling? Don't they know that if you're gonna have the slightest chance of passing that off, it's best not to partner it with a soiled Beer Chang vest, a tattooeod neck, a ludicrously oversized amulet (to 'fit in'), and the obligatory four foot ten little brown accessory trailing a few feet behing him, yabbering into a mobile phone in Thai to her friends about what an idiot he is.

Oh, the shame . . .

You talking about me?

Wrong! I wear a real Skagen (everything else fits though)

"Thais will buy a BMW and sleep on the floor in a B2000 a month room"

Oh really?

Again, another self projection post.

Scenario 1: and they were able to pay 3-12 million (not sure what the 7 series are going for nowadays, I drive a Honda) cash. Yeah sure, and they'd be renting a 2,000 Baht a month room.

Scenario 2: they finance 80-90%. Yeah sure, folks living in 2,000 Baht a month rooms would be able to afford the 80,000-100,000 a month payments.

:o

p.s. we actually have a few strips of 1,000 - 2,500 Baht a month rooms for rent in the extended family. The typical transportation is motorcycle, saleng (converted bicycle/cart type setup), or foot. On the rare occasion that someone has a car, it's either a 20 year old pickup or one of the first Mazda's that ca/ef/n b,me off the boat here.

al

Whilethisma=-0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000999999999999999i-monbl ..6yh

\|

the above comment was added by my 1 year old daughter.

my contribution should have read like this:

hengs post may be true, but that doesn't explain why the apartments i first lived in in bangkok 10+ years ago had a parking lot with about 10 beemers or benzes in it.

the top floor was all 2 bedroom suites for 12,000 and the rest was hong dios or one beds for 7-9k.

the top floor was all farang, so it would lead me to belive that the people with the expensive cars were living in single rooms.

we used to laugh about it at the time.

That's because many (perhaps even all) of them have nice houses they go to on the weekends and just stay in Bangkok to be near the office, or have parents who are putting them up while in school, but have to buy them a nice car to save face for the family.

While the OP seems to be a little worked up, I tend to agree with some of his observations.

Thais with money, not always that much, feel they must show it to the world. I am sure it is the same in many cultures it's just that Thais seem to take it too far. I have often thought that they couldn't be happier than if they could make their clothes out of 1k notes.

The observation on the BMW, or let's just say 'nice' car, was spot on. I know that it happens. I used to visit a friend off Thong Lo and her car park was full of 'nice' cars. The average room rent was 3k. I also know a student that misses meals to ensure she can keep up the payments on her car.

Well I go to Paragon fairly often and to be honest I have never noticed a massive number of people trying very hard to look rich. Perhaps the OP should relax a little (I know it might be hard when you only spend a couple of weeks here on holiday). And as for the house vs. car problem, lots of Thai people might think you are silly to rent a 40,000baht condo but drive around in a 15 year old Honda, nobody is correct it’s just a matter of opinion.

I was in Paragon Mall last week and couldn't help but notice how excrutiatingly hard many Thai men and women there try to look excessively Hi-So. It's pretty obnoxious how they saunter around like they're a Thai superstar or mogul at a country club... I can only tolerate being there for a short time and then it wears on me. I'm starting to feel that Thai men with a little money are nothing but oversexed, adulteristic, big-face-chasing egotists. Anyone feel the same? While I'm on a roll I also must say that I'm also bored of the little cuffed shorts, ambiguous top, and flat shoes that the younger Hi-So-striving women wear. All that excess precision makeup work too. They all look like clones! Why all the effort to impress others? Any ideas?

No, but what i find depressing is how so many foreigners staying here have a need to analize everything rather than just getting on with life.

Weird bunch.