Thais And Looking Rich

papaya9

INTELLIGENT from LATIN:

inter: between

lecture: reading

intelligent: reading between the lines

let's have some intelligent fun ....

I was in Paragon Mall last week(I'm a rich bitch with nothing betters to do then shopping to fill my emotional void) and couldn't help but notice (I stare at other people all the time, as I need to feel superior to ignore my own insignificiance) how excrutiatingly (I don't know the real meaning of intelligent; I think it's using difficult words) hard many Thai men and women there try to look excessively Hi-So(I know how HISO's look, because I'm extremely jealous, because no way I can ever be part of that elite club). It's pretty obnoxious how they saunter around like they're a Thai superstar or mogul at a country club (I don't even consider the possibility that they might be some kind of star)... I can only tolerate being there for a short time (I get so fuc_king jealous) and then it wears on me( my less expensive clothes make me feel naked). I'm starting to feel that Thai men with a little money are nothing but oversexed, adulteristic, big-face-chasing egotists (I hate all man anyway). Anyone feel the same(I'm so lonely)? While I'm on a roll I also must say that I'm also bored of the little cuffed shorts, ambiguous top, and flat shoes that the younger Hi-So-striving women wear(I'm so much better looking then all of them together). All that excess precision makeup work too(how the h3ll they do it?). They all look like clones (I tried it myself and I loked like a clown)! Why all the effort to impress others? Any ideas? (please help me, I want to be like them so badly!)

note; she talks a lot about herself, don't ya think ?

Edited by LinkPopularity

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

]one of the physicians was sporting a beautiful Omega. I have always wanted an Omega, but felt I was not wealthy enough to toss my money at such an item.

My icome is in excess or 200K and that is just base, not includeing bonusses, profit shareing etc.
This physician that I am speaking about probably brings in 30K to 40K, but yet he was sporting an Omega. So yes, I do see what the OP is talking about. But I do not let it get me down.

That's big of you, do you want a badge?

:D:D

Yes, he complains about people showing wealth, and then spouts on about his own salary. Maybe he was trying to be ironic? :o

It's a developing country syndrome: people want to be rich, if they can't be rich they'll look rich. If they are rich, they want to look richer. The real hi-so set are incredibly obnoxious as a general rule and ashamedly, most normal Thai folks look up to the wealthy as being superior, something we have passed in the West.

However, there is also nothing wrong with trying to look good and dressing up to go out. It makes a nice change. Couples going out to eat or going shopping looking good instead of "scruffy chic" is pleasant. Let's not forget Thai society is a very superficial beauty-oriented one, as is Singapore and Hong Kong to a lesser extent, and probably Russia too.

It does still amaze me though: in my condo complex there is a guy who bought an apartment no more than 9 million baht. He leaves his flip flops outside the front door on view like most people do. Outside his front door he has his toys: a red plate silver-grey Ferrari 345, a red plate top of the range benz and one of those brand new Audi supercars (as was being auctioned off in Paragon the other week).

]one of the physicians was sporting a beautiful Omega. I have always wanted an Omega, but felt I was not wealthy enough to toss my money at such an item.
My icome is in excess or 200K and that is just base, not includeing bonusses, profit shareing etc.
This physician that I am speaking about probably brings in 30K to 40K, but yet he was sporting an Omega. So yes, I do see what the OP is talking about. But I do not let it get me down.

That's big of you, do you want a badge?

:D:D

Yes, he complains about people showing wealth, and then spouts on about his own salary. Maybe he was trying to be ironic? :o

That is actually quite funny :D

Shock! Horror! Wealthy men and women are dressing to impress!!

As for the BMW and crappy apartment thing it is much more of a phenomenon here than the UK. Seen it with my own eyes, a tiny box of an aparment and a new 3 series, no other homes owned and struggling with payments for both. Having said that the rationale when questioned about the wisdom of such a strategy was that the car was a form of saving as BMW's or Merc's have very low depreciation rates and they get a nice car to drive around in whilst paying it off. Fair enough.

PhiPhi

Im not rich and always dress to impress, does that mean you have a problem with me too?? Tomorrow is the Melbourne cup and in gonna be wearing a nice suit, hat and a walking stick (not that i need one as im still in my 20's) probaly spank a few lady's with my walking stickk too at work.

Lets hope i still have a job on Wednesday

I know a young(30s) farang guy in Bangkok who is worth 10's of millions (USD)...you'd never know it, he wears jandals, shorts and teeshirts everywhere.No jewellery.Drives a honda civic.Likes a quiet beer in the pub and going to the movies.

I also know plenty of people back in farangland with zero net worth, loads of credit card debt, rented house, late on their 2001 BMW payments, live paycheck to paycheck because they spend all their money on clothes, shoes, jewellery, their "facade", and their petty social commitments.

Each to their own i guess :o

Strange, in the Bangkok forum the OP started a thread with the following

Out of curiosity I've always wondered where the Thai elite go for grub. I don't expect to see them at the homestyle ones that I frequent! It would be interesting to see them, in a non-exclusive setting of course. If anyone knows where I'd appreciate it much. Thanks in advance,

Kurt

Did he and his girlfriend get spurned by these people?

Strange, in the Bangkok forum the OP started a thread with the following
Out of curiosity I've always wondered where the Thai elite go for grub. I don't expect to see them at the homestyle ones that I frequent! It would be interesting to see them, in a non-exclusive setting of course. If anyone knows where I'd appreciate it much. Thanks in advance,

Kurt

Did he and his girlfriend get spurned by these people?

Took Lae Dee :o

... While I'm on a roll I also must say that I'm also bored of the little cuffed shorts, ambiguous top, and flat shoes that the younger Hi-So-striving women wear. All that excess precision makeup work too. They all look like clones! Why all the effort to impress others? Any ideas?

That does not match up with my observations in Paragon. The real Hi-So girls there wear high heels, preferably from Jimmy Cho and a dress, perhaps from Balenciaga.

But the big difference to - say Caucasian - women is that the really beautiful Thai ladies don't need much make up. Some mascara and eye shadow and a lipstick, that's all. Their wonderful hair is a pure pleaser to look at. And they are - again in my opinion - so very beautiful... I love to go to the Paragon and watch them. From time to time my Missus reminds me to close my mouth and wipe of the drivel.

You see, Papaya, they do impress me, I admit, and you know what? I am not bored at all. And that's why they do all that, I mean the dress up and make up stuff: To distinguish themselves from those in jeans and washed out T-shirts and flat shoes.

Which of the two styles you prefer is entirely up to you, but why so angry at people with another taste and opinion?

I was in Paragon Mall last week and couldn't help but notice how excrutiatingly hard many Thai men and women there try to look excessively Hi-So. It's pretty obnoxious how they saunter around like they're a Thai superstar or mogul at a country club... I can only tolerate being there for a short time and then it wears on me. I'm starting to feel that Thai men with a little money are nothing but oversexed, adulteristic, big-face-chasing egotists. Anyone feel the same? While I'm on a roll I also must say that I'm also bored of the little cuffed shorts, ambiguous top, and flat shoes that the younger Hi-So-striving women wear. All that excess precision makeup work too. They all look like clones! Why all the effort to impress others? Any ideas?

This from the same poster who opened a thread (currently running) in the BKK forum titled "Which Restaurants Do The Thai Elite Eat At?, Celebrities, Filthy rich, Hi-So crowd" :

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=60223

Insecure lately? Get over it.

Bendix sometimes you piss me off, but you had me laughing in this thread. Spot on.

To the OP, so the rich are rich and wear nice clothes and drive nice cars (and the others want to)... it happens the world over, if you think it's limited to BKK, Thailand then you've without much of a clue. Who cares (besides you)? I'm elite, filthy rich, hi-so, and a celebrity -- you want to be my friend? :o

"Thais will buy a BMW and sleep on the floor in a B2000 a month room"

Oh really?

*looks at the neighbors* Yes, o-really.

So many new cars, so small crappy rooms without A/C or beds...

I left my more expensive cellphone at home at took my wifes older to work. Not more than right away someone noted that I had an 'old' phone... and everyone (with lower salaries) flash their very top-of-the-line phones...I couldn't care less and said so. But it was amusing anyway.

Honey, when you drag someone into your brain and kick the sh-it out of them for being pretentious, the only thing that gets hurt is your brain. You sound like a sincere, caring person; give yourself a break.

B- Thanks for your kind response :o I don't let it bother me too much. I really just wanted to know how the Thai mind works relative to this phenomenon.

Regards,

K

Does anyone thats commenting on this thread think that face and thereby image, does not transcend everything in this country? It's how everything works here - currying favour in a heirarchal semi fuedal bloody system. It's so pathetically superficial. Things that actually mean something like the ability to multi task, solve problems and be decisive aren't actually encouraged are they. Better to dress as though you look like a hotshot rather than have any real ability in anything. I've just completed an eight month contract on Thailands' largest offshore gas project (for PTT) and guess what, everyone in a decision making position was a farang. Thais can continue looking good, or whatever it is they do, and we'll just get on with what really matters.

Excellent and spot-on post!

INTELLIGENT from LATIN:

inter: between

lecture: reading

intelligent: reading between the lines

let's have some intelligent fun ....

I was in Paragon Mall last week(I'm a rich bitch with nothing betters to do then shopping to fill my emotional void) and couldn't help but notice (I stare at other people all the time, as I need to feel superior to ignore my own insignificiance) how excrutiatingly (I don't know the real meaning of intelligent; I think it's using difficult words) hard many Thai men and women there try to look excessively Hi-So(I know how HISO's look, because I'm extremely jealous, because no way I can ever be part of that elite club). It's pretty obnoxious how they saunter around like they're a Thai superstar or mogul at a country club (I don't even consider the possibility that they might be some kind of star)... I can only tolerate being there for a short time (I get so fuc_king jealous) and then it wears on me( my less expensive clothes make me feel naked). I'm starting to feel that Thai men with a little money are nothing but oversexed, adulteristic, big-face-chasing egotists (I hate all man anyway). Anyone feel the same(I'm so lonely)? While I'm on a roll I also must say that I'm also bored of the little cuffed shorts, ambiguous top, and flat shoes that the younger Hi-So-striving women wear(I'm so much better looking then all of them together). All that excess precision makeup work too(how the h3ll they do it?). They all look like clones (I tried it myself and I loked like a clown)! Why all the effort to impress others? Any ideas? (please help me, I want to be like them so badly!)

note; she talks a lot about herself, don't ya think ?

Maybe I should assume you're a poor farang whoremonger?

Edited by papaya9

I was in Paragon Mall last week and couldn't help but notice how excrutiatingly hard many Thai men and women there try to look excessively Hi-So. It's pretty obnoxious how they saunter around like they're a Thai superstar or mogul at a country club... I can only tolerate being there for a short time and then it wears on me. I'm starting to feel that Thai men with a little money are nothing but oversexed, adulteristic, big-face-chasing egotists. Anyone feel the same? While I'm on a roll I also must say that I'm also bored of the little cuffed shorts, ambiguous top, and flat shoes that the younger Hi-So-striving women wear. All that excess precision makeup work too. They all look like clones! Why all the effort to impress others? Any ideas?

This from the same poster who opened a thread (currently running) in the BKK forum titled "Which Restaurants Do The Thai Elite Eat At?, Celebrities, Filthy rich, Hi-So crowd" :

<a href="http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=60223" target="_blank">http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=60223</a>

Insecure lately? Get over it.

Bendix sometimes you piss me off, but you had me laughing in this thread. Spot on.

To the OP, so the rich are rich and wear nice clothes and drive nice cars (and the others want to)... it happens the world over, if you think it's limited to BKK, Thailand then you've without much of a clue. Who cares (besides you)? I'm elite, filthy rich, hi-so, and a celebrity -- you want to be my friend? :o

Some of you guys are presumptuous idiots. I was posting/asking about where the people with REAL wealth dine, not the pathetic posers that you so often see. You guys have too much time on your hands to review my old posts...Who needs to get a life?

Edited by papaya9

Maybe your just bitter after realising how out of place your little farmgirl looks in such places.

Simplest way to solve that one is not to go to Paragon. Per square foot is must be the most expensive shopping centre in Bangkok and probably contains more millionaires per square foot during opening hours than anywhere in Thailand.

Or didn't you notice the Chanel, Cartier, Armani and LVMH signs on the doors. It is an expensive place. Be thankful they don't have a dress policy to get in or did you never try to get past the security guards in LVMH in London?

Just to let you know there are plenty of wealthy people in this country. Where would you like them to go?

or better yet go back to your home country. don't you have better thing to do in thailand than to go to malls and watch people shop and tell everyone here that they are trying to look rich?

Acquiesce- My avatar is just a cute girl that I fancy. I'm quite sure that you've spent a fair amount of time with these "farmgirls" who have only used you more than you could them.

Wait a minute...are you sure that's a girl?

Last time I was at Paragon, I went to the supercar corner (I know, I know ...) and there was a Maserati Quattroporte with a "SOLD" sign on the windshield. I guess that pays the rent for a few days.

As far as I understand it the shopkeepers in Paragon don't pay any rent. Instead Paragon takes a percentage of all sales and staffs/owns the cash registers.

Paragon also decides who can set up shop and who not.

Thanks to all those who replied constructively/intelligently. Regards,

Kurt

Your welcome Kurt, i replied as constuctiely and intelligently as your post warrented. :D

Just out of curiosity what sort of 'constuctive' comments were you expecting? :o

Sad Sad Sad.

Class system still exists here. How do you know the thai men you see have little money? I like the outfits thai women where. It makes them look sexy, and yes i am oversexed and adulteristic. Oh yah, if the thai woman is beautiful, then I'm in favor of cloning her. Thailand (asia) is a man's world. Keep it that way! I forgot to mention, if you don't like it here, you do have the option to leave, don't you?