Chiangmai Versus Bangkok For Retirement

camerata

Forgot a comment on this one:
Well, every time I've been there it's got gridlocked on Huay Kaew Road big time and around the moat

I often hear this exact line from Bangkok people. Then I figured out why: They tend to visit on Songkran, Loy Krathong or some other holiday, then they all go to Wat Doi Suthep at the same time, then they find that Huay Kaew is gridlocked... with mostly cars with BKK license plates. :D They effectively bring their traffic jam with them.

Earlier when I said the new ring road planning has been brilliant to channel development away. Let me give you an example. I live 10 kms out of town in the Hang Dong direction. My kid's pre-school thingy is pretty much at the Royal Flora roundabout. My office is out towards Sankamphaeng. This is a total distance of about 23 kms. I send the kid to the zoo-keepers at day care at 8am in 'rush hour', then drive to work. 23 urban kilometers in am rush hour. How long does it take me? 15-20 minutes of straight motoring, depending in how much diesel I feel like burning; no jams, not even traffic lights because of all the tunnels.

If there's any gridlock here then it's in the space between your ears. :D

Tut, tut no need to get swishy :o . Well I've done all those things in Cm and don't go there anymore for the few sights or festivals, but do recommend Loy Khratong - usually just a few days them I'm away. And the gridlock u get is much more at pm then am. I thought I'd made that fairly clear. I assume u wizz past them on the super highway. And last time I saw that 'Super' highway, there was one poor bloke with a spade digging an underpass. I bet they didn't even pay him in cash :D

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Avoid all attempts at getting u involved in trivia like pub quiz nights. and try to avoid the small town cosy group mentality if u get to live there.

Hiding in the basement on Mondays works for me. But one time I was out of toilet paper so I thought I could get away with a quick visit to Tesco.. Big mistake; I was set upon by the Farang Quiz Night Inquisition and hauled off to Tuskers. Woe was me.

Congratulations on your 3,942th posting - it's a wizz, mmm...... :o Still 'spose u gotta find something to do. mmmmmmmm maybe a good darts match? :D

I whizzed down Huay Kaew last night but I wasn't on the way to quiz night (although I have found quiz night to be fun, at various venues). There was a gaggle of motorbikes at the Rincome intersection, but that's sometimes a chokepoint at that hour; no big problem. I use Huay Kaew often between 10 am and midnight; no big problem. chanchao is right about the traffic around Hang Dong; the main road itself even flows slowly during rush hour when there's construction. No gridlock. C'mon, the word 'gridlock' is when traffic stops dead for minutes at a time, as in Bangkok.

Oh gosh darn, we don't have a symphony orchestra or a grand opera. We really are rural heathen. Pass the moonshine liquor, Jeb.

I whizzed down Huay Kaew last night but I wasn't on the way to quiz night (although I have found quiz night to be fun, at various venues). There was a gaggle of motorbikes at the Rincome intersection, but that's sometimes a chokepoint at that hour; no big problem. I use Huay Kaew often between 10 am and midnight; no big problem. chanchao is right about the traffic around Hang Dong; the main road itself even flows slowly during rush hour when there's construction. No gridlock. C'mon, the word 'gridlock' is when traffic stops dead for minutes at a time, as in Bangkok.

Oh gosh darn, we don't have a symphony orchestra or a grand opera. We really are rural heathen. Pass the moonshine liquor, Jeb.

Obviously in denial :o

C'mon, the word 'gridlock' is when traffic stops dead for minutes at a time, as in Bangkok.

Or it takes 2 hours to go from The Emporium to Nana in a taxi (when carrying too much stuff for BTS). :o

Make regular visits to the big Mango to stock up on essential supplies do we? They do some great deals on bags of rice, cheap umbrellas and little pottery thingies in Makro. :D

C'mon, the word 'gridlock' is when traffic stops dead for minutes at a time, as in Bangkok.

Or it takes 2 hours to go from The Emporium to Nana in a taxi (when carrying too much stuff for BTS). :o

Make regular visits to the big Mango to stock up on essential supplies do we?

For the nightlife actually. :D

Avoid all attempts at getting u involved in trivia like pub quiz nights. and try to avoid the small town cosy group mentality if u get to live there.

Hiding in the basement on Mondays works for me. But one time I was out of toilet paper so I thought I could get away with a quick visit to Tesco.. Big mistake; I was set upon by the Farang Quiz Night Inquisition and hauled off to Tuskers. Woe was me.

Congratulations on your 3,942th posting - it's a wizz, mmm...... :o Still 'spose u gotta find something to do. mmmmmmmm maybe a good darts match? :D

Believe me, I made every effort to call it quits at 3910 or thereabout and wipe the slate clean.. Doesn't work. :D

Also, on another (Thai travel related) forum that shall remain nameless I'm up to to 22,172 .

Cheers,

Chanchao

You're kidding..? I think the nightlife sucks in Bangkok, and is expensive at that. I think the vibrancy of Bangkok nightlife in the 1970's has been lost somewhat.

So can someone enlighten camarata on the vibrant nightlife of Chiang Mai - the subject seems to have been neglected.

Does it make u woozy at the thought of a pint at the local before bed-time. Do quiz nights ever get you rolling? Do darts matched ever turn a tod argumentative? Do the charity events keep u awake? Is there one?icon9.gif

Seems like Bangkok and Chiang Mai are roughly equal in terms of one activity: sitting in front of a computer posting messages on ThaiVisa. Perfect for retirement.

LOL.!! :o

So can someone enlighten camarata on the vibrant nightlife of Chiang Mai - the subject seems to have been neglected.

Well there's Kantoke Dinner, and, errr, ... :D Anyway, the point was not that Chiang Mai nightlife is better than Bangkok (though I appreciate the laid back atmosphere and low prices), just that I don't like Bangkok all that much, personally. I know I didn't make that clear, sorry about that.

I cannot think of anything essential that Bangkok has that Chiang Mai lacks. Other than two very dusty months of the year our air is probably cleaner, our streets less congested. Mountains where you can live at the foot. I got better medical care here than in Bangkok; it's generally as good as BKK if you know where to go. You can be ten minutes from the city center and ten from the countryside.

Why are they the only options, I have been visiting this country for 35 years and "up country" somewhere beats the cities, without the temptation of bars etc. of the Farang variety, I can by a kilo of king prawns for B120 not much more for filet steak. I have a place here in Rayong and one in Pratchinburi both within a couple of hours drive of big cities and both give me so much satisfaction with life

You're kidding..? I think the nightlife sucks in Bangkok, and is expensive at that. I think the vibrancy of Bangkok nightlife in the 1970's has been lost somewhat.

Does it make u woozy at the thought of a pint at the local before bed-time. Do quiz nights ever get you rolling? Do darts matched ever turn a tod argumentative? Do the charity events keep u awake? Is there one?icon9.gif

Uhhh............ well, if Camerata were actually interested in a barstool-polisher's comparison of BKK v. CM nightlife, I guess he would have asked about it. As it is, he has asked about pollution, crime, transport, medical facilities and the immigration authorities' helpfulness - and, at least by implication, relative living costs. All those points have been covered pretty comprehensively. One thing (IMO) that has not emerged sufficiently is that most people would probably say that having your own transport in CM is a definite plus - a] because there are fewer public transport options than in metro-BKK (inevitable in a significantly smaller city) and b] because it enables one to set off on a jaunt any time you feel like it to any of the nearby (very accessible) attractions........... mostly natural and more "Thai" than the all-so-hyper commercial scene traps that seem to be so important to others - for whom the BKK operators wait with open arms and hungry cash registers.

Oh, and - despite the best determined (obsessive?) solo effort to portray CM as just a large seniors/Derby&Joan retirement home made up of marooned has-beens whose only diversion is shuffleboard/quiz night/charity events once a month (if their hearts & lungs have survived the toxic clouds and/or their feeble minds can't resist the peer-pressure of the residents' committee thought police) - those able to read between the lines may yet glean something valid to give them a sensible idea of what makes CM tick.......... some good and some not so good (and all according to personal preference). I, for one, am conscious that others (newer to ThaiVisa and to Thailand than Camerata) are also reading this thread with a view to getting some usable notion of what living in CM is actually like.

In fact, I'm starting to think that I preferred it how it used to be when some of us would reply to the "What's it like to live in CM?" with an automatic "Terrible - go south, definitely south :o ". Maybe Tyke's hyper posts are the same gag taken a bridge too far? Then again, with all those so very demanding attractions in BKK - just how does he find the time and energy to write so much hyperbole and so often? And - why? :D

I was trying to be polite when I said the nightlife was better there. I actually meant that - in general - the "ladies" of the night in Bangkok are much better looking and have mastered the erotic arts to a much higher degree. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

To Steve2UK's excellent points about what Camerata asked for, I would add that his requests were about retirement, not whether our rasta ghetto is superior to Khao Sahn Road. I've been to quiz night twice this year, and enjoyed both times. I don't find more than 20% of the expat/retired guys here to be whackos, and Bangkok has its share, as well.

Some people are only happy when surrounded by millions more miserable people. Chiang Mai is huge enough to have everything that any ordinary person needs, unless they need 28 leading museums, 4 grand operas, 221 art galleries, etc.

I lived in Bangkok for around 20 years and still have a house there that I visit regularly. I also lived in Chiangmai for 11 years and still visit there on an almost weekly basis. I haven't got around to retiring yet but I think one of the greatest things to recommend Chiangmai is that Tyke lives in Bangkok.

The difference between CM and BKK is that

CM has one of everything

BKK has 800 of everything

CM is fully civilized and has direct flights to HK,SNG,KL and TPE

life is good and slow.

when I goto BKK I got to take a big deep breath

Never noticed the smoke until this year when it was particaully bad

and I dont even live in CM

hop on SGA or drive up the mountain for 3 hours to Pai and one look and you will know if you want to live here. (yes we have high speed internet!)

I was trying to be polite when I said the nightlife was better there. I actually meant that - in general - the "ladies" of the night in Bangkok are much better looking and have mastered the erotic arts to a much higher degree. whistling.gif

At the risk of turning this into an Erotic Connoisseurs type of dicsussion, I think that . ..... .

Never mind. :o

[And I'll bet they're not from Bangkok, and beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.. :D But given those parameters, why not Pattaya then?]

Edited by chanchao

hop on SGA or drive up the mountain for 3 hours to Pai and one look and you will know if you want to live here. (yes we have high speed internet!)

Hmmmm....

My Thai friends refer to Pai as "Pattaya on the Hill"

Cheers

And I'll bet they're not from Bangkok, and beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.. :D But given those parameters, why not Pattaya then?

I don't care where they are from, if they are in Bangkok now.

It comes down to personal taste, but, IMHO, Bangkok has a bunch of amazingly gorgeous girls gathered together in a few small areas - plus, admittedly, plenty that aren't so gorgeous - and the competition is so fierce between them that even the movie star types put a lot more effort into their extra-curricular "skills", where in other cities - such as Chiang Mai - these total babes tend to be in such high demand that they feel that they don't have to put out any effort and can demand an absurd recompense on top of snoozing through certain aspects of the job. :o

Again, IMHO, Pattaya has plenty of quantity, but is short on quality compared to Bangkok.

Hmmmm....

Cheers

Thats funny aside from the occasional freelancer off the leash or the dirty little places for local thais, there is no prostitution in pai. many have tried, but the police shut down the lady bars before they can even get open.

the sexpats that show up dont last 2 days after they figure out that they arent going to get laid.

the town council is very strict about this. I think the idea is not to become a pattaya.

Hmmmm....

Cheers

Thats funny aside from the occasional freelancer off the leash or the dirty little places for local thais, there is no prostitution in pai. many have tried, but the police shut down the lady bars before they can even get open.

the sexpats that show up dont last 2 days after they figure out that they arent going to get laid.

the town council is very strict about this. I think the idea is not to become a pattaya.

I don't think it was a reference to prostitution , rather a comment on the Thai - foreigner ratio.

I was there last week.

The location is beautiful , but it rather stinks of pretentiousness.

Cheers