Media Center Usb Remote At Pantip?

autonomous_unit

Has anybody come across a shop at Pantip with media center accessories? I want one of the Microsoft compatible hardware solutions that can send IR signals to other devices. I actually plan to use it with LIRC on Linux, but I've read that they work pretty well...

I saw a Thermaltake receiver with a small display at Jedicool, but it didn't have any IR blaster and that's the only part I actually want. We asked around quite a bit but didn't have any luck. I don't know if it's really uncommon or just known by some other term here.

I tried the same thing, what I did in the end was carry one in from the UK. It's annoying because you cannot get a TV signal in if you select satellite/cable (and use anything but coax in) because it keeps asking for IR blasters!

I picked up a hauppauge pvr-150 MCE (With remote, receiver and blaster) while in Singapore a couple of weeks ago.

I had to use a hacked driver to get the MCE remote working with XP (not sure whats available for linux)

Everything works great.

And using TVxb I have a Program Guide for UBC/True. It is nice to have a fully functioning PVR

Hmm, I actually have a Hauppauge 150 with remote and blasters, but I tried every remote code it supported and none of them seemed to do a thing to affect my UBC dstv set-top box.

Which kind of set-top box do you have, and what remote setting for the Hauppauge did you use that actually allowed the channel to be changed? I had read that it only supported a limited range of remotes, and after trying them all (I think), I had given up hope on making that blaster work...

Do you have the MCE or Non MCE model?

The MCE model has a USB receiver and the blaster plugs into the receiver. Non MCE models the blaster plugs directly into the card.

I use a program Called HIP http://www.byremote.com.au/HIP/Default.htm This program takes the signal from the MCE remote and converts it to any signal you set for it.

I had it learn my UBC codes directly from my UBC remote.

hope that helps

Hmm, I actually have a Hauppauge 150 with remote and blasters, but I tried every remote code it supported and none of them seemed to do a thing to affect my UBC dstv set-top box.

Which kind of set-top box do you have, and what remote setting for the Hauppauge did you use that actually allowed the channel to be changed? I had read that it only supported a limited range of remotes, and after trying them all (I think), I had given up hope on making that blaster work...

LIRC supports your card/blaster http://lirc.org/tv_cards.html

I haven't used LIRC but if it works anything like Girder or HIP, you should be able to teach it UBC codes using your original UBC remote.

Ah, I have the non-MCE then... the blaster plugs directly into the card. And the drivers support something like 700 different remotes and I left it running to try every one of them forwards and backwards but none were able to make the UBC box change channels...

Yes, the problem is this IR device apparently isn't a normal programmable one like most LIRC devices. It only has a fixed set of remote codes it can handle, cooked right into its binary firmware. That's why I said that I ran a script to try using every available code, but none worked to control the UBC dstv box.

The way things are looking, I may just have to scrounge up the parts to make a home brew IR transciever to use with LIRC, or else pick up one of those MCE USB remote blasters on my next trip abroad. It's sure a pain to shop for stuff like this with my extremely limited Thai skills and my wife's disinterest in electronics. :o