Bringing A Cat From Thailand To The U.s.

Kilgore Trout

Hi, I'm planning to move with my Thai wife from Bkk back to the US and we would like to bring her cat. I checked on the regulations with the CDC and its stated that cats don't need any sort of health certificates (although I'm sure having them would be handy) but they are inspected upon arrival and if deemed to be a threat are re-exported or destroyed.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this; having the possibility of having the animal (who is healthy and regularly checked and vaccinated) destroyed is quite scary; we would be better of finding a home for her here.

If anyone has any information or advice on this subject please let me know. Thanks!

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/animal.htm

The above link (which may not show but is www-dot-cdc-dot-gov) is the link concerning importation of pets into the US. It has a warning that specific states may also have regulations which control the importation of pets into that state. I'd google the state you're going to end up in and see if there are regulations concerning the importation of pets from abroad.

Good luck,

I had a friend who took his two dogs. He didn't have any problem. They had their shots and certificate and letter from the vet.

As I have 3 cats, which I could never leave behind, keep us posted as to any regulations you might run into.