Transit Issued, Tourist Denied. What's The Deal?

Yesterday I submitted my application for a Tourist visa at the Thai consulate in Guangzhou, China. Today I went to pick it up, and was quite surprised since I was issued a Transit visa. The guy behind the counter said something about a new rule and pointed out my entrystamps (30-day stamps) in my passport.

During the last 12 months I have entered the kingdom 5 times. Total time in Thailand: 79 days.

The entrys of the last six months are such:

Two entrys, one in May and one in October. Total time in Thailand: 25 days.

I was in the consulate once before and tried to apply, but was told to come back when I had a ticket out of the country as they obviously don't recognize land travelling tourists. I came back, yesterday, with tickets (AirAsia, printed from the net, had confirmation by phone they accepted e-ticket and onwards ticket to third country) to a country of which I have a valid visa.

Today the guy also mentioned that there was some issue with my tickets, but did not elaborate.

I have never been suspected of any crime in Thailand, my worst offense is a 4 day overstay almost a decade ago. I can not think of any "spots" that might be on their computer under my name.

Now, please tell me that this is bullshit? Or have the immigration legislators gone completely nuts?

And what can I do with this Transit thing? Can I extend it to the two months I have booked a bungalow for, or what? I was told it was typically issued for a stay of 7-10 days.

Do you think there would be a chance in hel_l to have this changed at another consulate (i.e. Hong Kong) before entering Thailand? Not that I actually want to go to Thailand (i know when i am not welcome anymore), but maybe it would serve as advice for others in the same situation.

This is a bit off subject but do other countries consulates interpret regulations as they see fit or is Thailand the exception?

I think they were in error but its impossible to get corrected. I know the rule for a Tourist Visa is you cannot stay more than 90 days in any 180 day period and Visa on Arrival is three in any 180 period. If not already you might alternate between the two visa types, although it might not help you in this case.

Yesterday I submitted my application for a Tourist visa at the Thai consulate in Guangzhou, China. Today I went to pick it up, and was quite surprised since I was issued a Transit visa. The guy behind the counter said something about a new rule and pointed out my entrystamps (30-day stamps) in my passport.

During the last 12 months I have entered the kingdom 5 times. Total time in Thailand: 79 days.

I was in the consulate once before and tried to apply, but was told to come back when I had a ticket out of the country as they obviously don't recognize land travelling tourists. I came back, yesterday, with tickets (AirAsia, printed from the net, had confirmation by phone they accepted e-ticket and onwards ticket to third country) to a country of which I have a valid visa.

Today the guy also mentioned that there was some issue with my tickets, but did not elaborate.

I have never been suspected of any crime in Thailand, my worst offense is a 4 day overstay almost a decade ago. I can not think of any "spots" that might be on their computer under my name.

Now, please tell me that this is bullshit? Or have the immigration legislators gone completely nuts?

And what can I do with this Transit thing? Can I extend it to the two months I have booked a bungalow for, or what? I was told it was typically issued for a stay of 7-10 days.

Well your not the only one. This is the reason why so many ex-pats are now coming to Cambodia. Some of the stories i hear from ex-pats who come here would make your hair curl.

This is a bit off subject but do other countries consulates interpret regulations as they see fit or is Thailand the exception?

I think they were in error but its impossible to get corrected. I know the rule for a Tourist Visa is you cannot stay more than 90 days in any 180 day period and Visa on Arrival is three in any 180 period. If not already you might alternate between the two visa types, although it might not help you in this case.

All Consulates have the freedom to issue or not issue a visa - it is there job to make that decision. There is no set limitation on the amount of time you can stay in Thailand on a tourist visa. The visa exempt entry has a limitation of 90 days in a six month period but no limitation on the number of entries. A visa on arrival is only available to a short list of countries for 15 day say and you seem to have used the term in error.

TRANSIT VISA

Purpose of visit: TRANSIT (requiring proof of confirmed onward ticket to a Third country). SPORTS or CREW (requiring letter from organization concerned and invitation letter from Thailand).

(Maximum stay 30 days, extension of stay may be applied in Thailand.)

Source Thai Embassy, Washington.

sorry to hear that toret, as tropo says, every immigration post and embassy

/consulate seems to have their own agenda. it's hard not to take it personally

sometimes and all you can really do is seek out the more friendly offices. :o

Could you name a few of the good ones and a few bad ones perhaps? Just for the information?

As for me, I have decided to spend my holiday somewhere else.

Toret, looking at your original post, it would appear you are near starting a new

6 month period anyway. Sometime in November? You could probably get by

using the ผ.30 or your 30-day transit visa but I guess you will need onward

travel documentation for certain. At the moment, as far as neighboring countries

go. The embassy/consulate in Vientiane and also Savannakhet in Laos seem to

be friendly. From recent reports, expect difficulties in Phnom-phen, Rangoon,

and now Penang in Malaysia seems to be getting sketchy. It's mess I know. :o

The ผ.30 is that 30 day visa waiver on arrival which I think you also receive. They

number these stamps with a highlighter. I just recently started a new 6 month

period and indeed, received a highlighted #1 over my fresh, new stamp.

Edited by cali4995

I would have demanded my money back and the "transit' cancelled. You asked for a TR not some stupid transit visa. Thats what they give Nigerian heroin dealers for Shiva's sake.

Maybe they had me mixed up with one of the 200 african guys who applied the same day :o

Toret, looking at your original post, it would appear you are near starting a new

6 month period anyway. Sometime in November? You could probably get by

using the ผ.30 or your 30-day transit visa...

Probably. But I have already decided to spend my holiday somewhere else.

But thanks for the info, hope it can help someone who really wants or needs to go to Thailand.

The OP has not mentioned his Nationality, may be some conditions apply.

Norwegian. No special conditions apply, at least not that I am aware of.

Mmmmmmm there was a post somewhere in the deep past about Norwegian DJ,s? ( search the Pattaya forum )

Maybe that has something to do with it. :o

Edited by Manchester

• 2 weeks later...

Arrived at Suvarnabhumi on Thursday evening, and needed to go through immigration to get my luggage since it could not be checked to my final destination in a neighbouring country. Here is what happened:

Immigration officer takes a long good look at my passport, and talks with his colleague.

Colleague: Why do you have this? You don't need a visa.

Me: I ask for tourist visa but they say i been too much in Thailand. I think consulate very strict.

Immigration officer: How long will you be in Thailand?

Me: One day.

Immigration officer, now smiling: Are you sure?

Immigration officer gives me 60.

YES, they have gone completely nuts. As stated in a post several months ago......I was once inside the "immigration temple of doom." I was able to snap one shot of the guy they said was behind all of the new rules. Here he is reading up on TF: post-36006-1195949497_thumb.jpg