Singapore Taxi Crackdown

cdnvic

Singapore Taxi Crackdown Nabs 39 Drivers

The Land Transport Authority's (LTA) crackdown on errant taxi drivers continues, with another 39 taxi drivers caught soliciting, overcharging or refusing to take passengers.

26 taxi drivers were found overcharging, seven were found touting while the six were caught for refusing to take passengers over a five day period from late October to early November,

The offences were committed at popular tourist spots that included Sentosa, Clarke Quay, Orchard Towers and Boat Quay.

Several of the errant taxi drivers are likely to have their vocational licences suspended or revoked after LTA's investigations.

Suspensions will last between two to eight weeks depending on the number of demerit points accumulated by taxi drivers. Drivers who accumulate more than 20 demerit points within 24 months will have their vocational licences revoked.

Full story and commentary:

http://motoring.asiaone.com/Motoring/News/...1107-34987.html

Being realistic.

Singapores taxi drivers are pretty good on the whole.

All speak English(to some extent) and usually friendly and helpful.

As I dont wish to spend a ridiculous amount of money on buying a car here(and I mean exspensive for a Thai reference), the taxi is number one.

Hang on !

My V-Max is a lot more entertaining but cannot accomodate the wife and kids.

Singapore Taxi Crackdown Nabs 39 Drivers

The Land Transport Authority's (LTA) crackdown on errant taxi drivers continues, with another 39 taxi drivers caught soliciting, overcharging or refusing to take passengers.

26 taxi drivers were found overcharging, seven were found touting while the six were caught for refusing to take passengers over a five day period from late October to early November,

The offences were committed at popular tourist spots that included Sentosa, Clarke Quay, Orchard Towers and Boat Quay.

Several of the errant taxi drivers are likely to have their vocational licences suspended or revoked after LTA's investigations.

Suspensions will last between two to eight weeks depending on the number of demerit points accumulated by taxi drivers. Drivers who accumulate more than 20 demerit points within 24 months will have their vocational licences revoked.

Full story and commentary:

http://motoring.asiaone.com/Motoring/News/...1107-34987.html

Overcharging ... assuming that means 'no meter, it'll be [insert inflated price here]' ... which given the late night locations mentioned seems fairly likely ... well, that's just a cost of a late night out in Singapore ... and you can always say no if you wish and look for another cab ...

The six who refused to take passengers should have their licences revoked for good ... it is becoming a regular pain in the arse at certain times of the day to find a cab ... whenever you see a taxi approaching with the window down, it means they're going to try it on ... I just jump in and THEN tell them where I want to go .. if they refuse, threaten to call the cops ...

Singapore taxis actually irritate me more than Bangkok ones do on the whole!

Majority ok but some real pain.

When staying in Balmoral cres had one driver try to charge 70 dollars to come back from Pasar Pajang one night, took the police to sort him out.

The catch phrase from the Singapore Tourism Promotion Board for Singapore is "Uniquely Singapore!"

They were probably referring to the chronic taxi situation in Singapore. When you need them, you don't see them!

Have to say, that I have never had any problems with taxis in S'pore in the 17 years of travelling there. As for refusing fares, if they are, they should have their licence taken away, which will probably happen as the S'pore authorities don't mess around.

Be nice if they started cracking down on it in BKK. :o

We are talking Taxis here not politics or suppression.

I really cant fault Singers Taxis,,what more do you want?Oral sex? :o

If you need a big cab they are available at the airport,,a limo or minibus will take you anywhere on the island for a standard fee of about $38 or Bhat 800 approx.

I cant understand what the fuss is about.

98% speak fluent English

We are talking Taxis here not politics or suppression.

I really cant fault Singers Taxis,,what more do you want?Oral sex? :D

If you need a big cab they are available at the airport,,a limo or minibus will take you anywhere on the island for a standard fee of about $38 or Bhat 800 approx.

I cant understand what the fuss is about.

98% speak fluent English

Sorry - I thought Tony had changed the subject slightly to "everything in Singapore".

Can you get oral sex in a Singapore cab, even though it is illegal? :o

Is there a surcharge? :D And if so, does it show on the meter docket so you can claim it back on expenses?