Singapore - Fair Priced Hotel Wanted

torrenova

I've probably got to go back to Singapore this month for a few days and I need to get some accommodation sorted out. I don't want to go mad and would really like something for a couple of thousand baht or so per day (less is nigh on impossible I know).

Does anyone know a real online booking agent with immediate confirmation and not this 24 hour crap (or even 10 minute crap - I mean real time) ?

I am considering the Bencoolen at around Bt2k per day. The sheer lack of facilities at the 81 and the Fragrance groups put me off but I am willing to be educated by those with 1st hand knowledge.

Really, I'll be there for probably 3 days and whilst I don't need luxury, some facilities would be nice. Nearby eateries a geat bonus as is transport.

Any advice and recommendations appreciated.

Try the Robertson Quay Hotel - location is pretty convenient. I stayed there once and it wasn't bad.

Don't know about instant confirmation, though. You might try Expedia and see if they have instant confirmations... booking.com you can just book and guarantee with a credit card, then pay at the hotel.

Friend of mine stayed at one of the Fragrance hotels in Geylang and declared he was quite happy with it for the money. Mind you, he was on business so probably didn't spend that many hours in it!

If you don't like 81 or Fragrance, there are lots of el cheapo local places around areas like Chinatown ... there's even a self-styled 'backpackers hostel' recently opened on Mosque St ... no idea whether you can book any of those online but you could probably do it over the phone with a credit card?

There also a couple of reasonable hotels on Serangoon Road, in the Liittle India area if I can recall. I beleive one is called Madras or something like that, from my recollection it was cheap, clean and reasonable, and in a fairly central location. There are varying room sizes.

Okay, here's a link

http://www.madrassingapore.com

Try the Robertson Quay Hotel - location is pretty convenient. I stayed there once and it wasn't bad.

Don't know about instant confirmation, though. You might try Expedia and see if they have instant confirmations... booking.com you can just book and guarantee with a credit card, then pay at the hotel.

Hi

Robertson Quay is alright, I have also stayed there a few times. Basic room, not too big, close to the river, very quiet.

They have a website: http://www.robertsonquayhotel.com.sg

have a nice trip.

Phil

Stayed there last mont!! rooms are very small same with the bathroom!! But for price and location you can't beat it!! 10-15 minute walk from many places

• 2 weeks later...
Friend of mine stayed at one of the Fragrance hotels in Geylang and declared he was quite happy with it for the money. Mind you, he was on business so probably didn't spend that many hours in it!

If you don't like 81 or Fragrance, there are lots of el cheapo local places around areas like Chinatown ... there's even a self-styled 'backpackers hostel' recently opened on Mosque St ... no idea whether you can book any of those online but you could probably do it over the phone with a credit card?

I've stayed in the Fragrance Hotels before, well the Ruby anyway. Small room, TV, but no fridge, clean & cheap. I booked it at the hotel reservation desk at Changi, on arrival from BKK about midnight - last minute trip & just wanted somewhere cheap for a couple of nights. As already mentioned, not somewhere to stay if planning to live in the hotel but, if you want something cheap you could do worse. They've got a website if you want to know more.

That is my problem. No fridge, near no amenities. I need a little more but don't want a large bill if it can be avoided. Already postponed twice due to hiked airfares and hotels bullshitting about availability.

You'd think in such an advanced economy they'd all have instant online availability checks.

That is my problem. No fridge, near no amenities. I need a little more but don't want a large bill if it can be avoided. Already postponed twice due to hiked airfares and hotels bullshitting about availability.

You'd think in such an advanced economy they'd all have instant online availability checks.

There was an article in The Straits Times at the weekend about hostels - 50 SGD a night but shared bathroom etc.

There is the 7th Storey Budget Hotel not far from Bugis MRT.

Ben Coolen is actually a nice place to stay.

Last time I checked it, it was about 80 Sing a night.

But be aware the cheap hotels are infested by the workers from the four floors that come from abroad.

:o

Go here for El Cheapo: http://www.holidaycity.com/singapore90/

Edited by AlexLah

I agree with the fridge situation - a cool box with ice will keep drinks cool for a few hours. What amenities are you after? There's plenty of restaurants near the Fragrance hotels, 7-eleven's etc. & it's only a short stroll to the MRT.

Hi

Robertson Quay is alright, I have also stayed there a few times. Basic room, not too big, close to the river, very quiet.

They have a website: http://www.robertsonquayhotel.com.sg

have a nice trip.

Phil

Seconded, I alwats stay there and actually lived next door at Fraser Place for a couple of years. The beach bar under the hotel is good for a few quiet ones, it is only a stones throw from the new CLarke Quay and a walk to Boat Quay, also walking in to Orchard is very easily done.

The worst part of Singapore is trying to get a taxi.