Jetski But Bring Loads Of Money

rocky123

So annoying see many jetski cons in Pattaya every day. Today on the beech for 3 hours next to a jetski and its guardian/mafia minder. Not one punter in 3 hrs or more just him joyriding. 5.15 pm and an American and his tilac took to the waves. I said in jest to my girlfreind, " wonder how much this is going to cost the guy " she went mad, not good to talk like this she said. Anyway cut to the chase 10,000 was asked for a small scratch that the yank did not do, I was watching him, he said "call the cops Im not paying and after an hour, off they went to the freindly arbertrators at soi 9, I told him to settle there on the beach as my buddies had the same happen, as I reported here on this site. It ended up costing them 80,000 at the cop shop. So sad this is killing the tourist trade. :o

So annoying see many jetski cons in Pattaya every day. Today on the beech for 3 hours next to a jetski and its guardian/mafia minder. Not one punter in 3 hrs or more just him joyriding. 5.15 pm and an American and his tilac took to the waves. I said in jest to my girlfreind, " wonder how much this is going to cost the guy " she went mad, not good to talk like this she said. Anyway cut to the chase 10,000 was asked for a small scratch that the yank did not do, I was watching him, he said "call the cops Im not paying and after an hour, off they went to the freindly arbertrators at soi 9, I told him to settle there on the beach as my buddies had the same happen, as I reported here on this site. It ended up costing them 80,000 at the cop shop. So sad this is killing the tourist trade.

There's no need to shout.

If it was me, I wouldn't have taken your advice to settle on the beach and pay $300 for something I didn't do.

I also wouldn't have paid up 80,000 at the cop shop...no f**knig way. I would have used an attorney on that one. It's unbelievable that anyone would just fork over 80,000 for something they did not do without a fight. There's one born every minute.

The Phuket government decided to ban all jet skis from 2010, this decision was made 2003 so is probably forgotten by now.

Would be nice if Pattaya did the same thing or at least set up dedicated areas well away from the most common swimming areas.

Also, according to Thai law you have to have a Thai helmsman level 2 ticket to drive a jetski, driving without this ticket could result in 6 months in jail or 5000Baht fine or both, as usual in Thailand this law is not often enforced.

Jetski(s) are brilliant fun. Just the wanke_rs that drive some of them that are the problem. :o

How would a non-wa*** make it quiet and exhaust free?

Anyone riding it on a beach is a sad <deleted>.

They should be banned and moved to some industrial area where there are no beaches and nobody to disturb or even kill.

Just look how many there are next to Pattaya Water Park. The breeze from the sea brings their fumes to where kids are meant to enjoy safety and fresh air.

Jetski(s) are brilliant fun. Just the wanke_rs that drive some of them that are the problem. :o

How would a non-wa*** make it quiet and exhaust free?

Anyone riding it on a beach is a sad <deleted>.

They should be banned and moved to some industrial area where there are no beaches and nobody to disturb or even kill.

Just look how many there are next to Pattaya Water Park. The breeze from the sea brings their fumes to where kids are meant to enjoy safety and fresh air.

How do you ride them on the beach?? I normally ride them in the sea

Like many things in LOS...nothing inherently wrong with jet skies...just no control over their numbers and operation that is the problem. I have never used one but I can see (and have been told) they are fun to use. Fine...just needs to be some regulation of the industry. As to the B10,000 nick problems...this is one of the oldest scams in LOS and unfortunately not much can be done after the fact. Best defense is like when renting a car...carefully check it out and now, with your digital camera or camcorder, take pictures of the object's condition and document any problems BEFORE renting. That's really the only answer or else it's always a case of "he says she says." Even an honest cop wouldn't know who to believe.

The Phuket government decided to ban all jet skis from 2010, this decision was made 2003 so is probably forgotten by now.

Would be nice if Pattaya did the same thing or at least set up dedicated areas well away from the most common swimming areas.

Also, according to Thai law you have to have a Thai helmsman level 2 ticket to drive a jetski, driving without this ticket could result in 6 months in jail or 5000Baht fine or both, as usual in Thailand this law is not often enforced.

I have raised this several times, but have been ignored as there is the impulse buyer to consider.

Would be best to ban the things, bur failing that to enforce the law and have the paying passenger tucked in behind the certified driver. Would be as good as banning them.

Question... how can you scratch a Jet ski except by hitting another guy out there?

The way you solve something like this is pretty simple. Call the newspapers! (Pattaya Today, Pattaya Mail or even better Pattaya People who also have a TV station).

Get a journalist out there and tell them to follow you when you go to the police station, I promise that you have never been treated so polite and nice and lawfully correct.

Pattaya cops are dirty and corrupt and they do NOT want to lose face in front of the flashing cameras.

Question... how can you scratch a Jet ski except by hitting another guy out there?

The way you solve something like this is pretty simple. Call the newspapers! (Pattaya Today, Pattaya Mail or even better Pattaya People who also have a TV station).

Get a journalist out there and tell them to follow you when you go to the police station, I promise that you have never been treated so polite and nice and lawfully correct.

Pattaya cops are dirty and corrupt and they do NOT want to lose face in front of the flashing cameras.

Our newspapers wouldn't get involved in something like this - too dangerous.

I don't believe the 80,000 baht either.

Why would I lie. If you are passing Murphys law on soi Metro ask the gaffer Steve, his staff and any of the dozen witnesses who saw 2 young lads from Ireland frogmarched back to their residence for more cash. Went on for hours to and fro from the cop shop then back to murphys, we tried to help but what can you do. They got mugged and its Wrong, close your eyes if you wish but this is life on the beach in Pattaya

Why would I lie. If you are passing Murphys law on soi Metro ask the gaffer Steve, his staff and any of the dozen witnesses who saw 2 young lads from Ireland frogmarched back to their residence for more cash. Went on for hours to and fro from the cop shop then back to murphys, we tried to help but what can you do. They got mugged and its Wrong, close your eyes if you wish but this is life on the beach in Pattaya

If this was true, why on earth would they admit to keeping that much cash in their apartment?

They are a nuicance and should be properly policed and banned when they try scams like this one. I've heard of figures in the teens but nothing like 80k. I find that hard to swallow as being legit and can't imaging how much damage there would have to be to cost 80k when you see how much bodywork repairs cost.

What sort of muppet actually hands over 80k if real anyway ?

If this was true, why on earth would they admit to keeping that much cash in their apartment?

Sometimes you can be so pedantic Trop. Just because you live here and keep your money in a bank, doesn't mean tourists on vacation do the same. Think 'safe deposit box' or possibly 'room safe'. Maybe 'cashing traveler checks' or trips to the 'ATM.'

Back to the OP and earlier responses, zoning was tried years ago when it was those horrible water scooter things that always had the prop falling off, costing the punter thousands of baht when the operator was just pulling the split pin out the prop retaining nuts. New toys, old ploys. Like everything else in Pattaya, the problem lies with lack of respect for the visitor, the law and no regulation, be it jet ski rental, parasailing, motor cycle rental or baht buses.

Our newspapers wouldn't get involved in something like this - too dangerous.

I don't believe the 80,000 baht either.

Having been present at many of these jet-ski incidents, bearing in mind the original asking price was 10,000 baht I would guess that the 80,000 baht was 8,000. I have never known the original asking price to go up during negotiations. When a settlement is agreed it has either stayed the same or has gone down.

Regretably there's not a lot the victim can do other than negotiate. I've known people to be threatened, struck, followed to their hotel, spat upon, and generally intimidated. The police cannot do anything because they cannot prove who is telling the truth, so they have to leave it to the parties to reach a settlement.

I feel terribly sorry for the innocent victims; it is truly an awful state of affairs that reflects very badly on Pattaya and Thailand.I suppose Customs officers could give a document to every visitor on entering Thailand heading for Pattaya warning them off jet-skis, but I suppose that would be impracticable. I am at a loss as to how this scam can be stopped other than ban these dangerous machines completely.

As for the newspapers featuring this scam, my mind boggles at the thought of what could happen to their staff if they were to do so.

Sometimes you can be so pedantic Trop. Just because you live here and keep your money in a bank, doesn't mean tourists on vacation do the same. Think 'safe deposit box' or possibly 'room safe'. Maybe 'cashing traveler checks' or trips to the 'ATM.'

I was talking about admitting that you have the money back at the apartment. You could always scream poor and take it from there.

It would be good if city hall made good on their promise to look in to the jetski business. About six month ago they promised to do this and was also suggesting setting up some sort of independent body to settle all claims arising from complaints and accidents regarding jetskis.

It would be good if city hall made good on their promise to look in to the jetski business. About six month ago they promised to do this and was also suggesting setting up some sort of independent body to settle all claims arising from complaints and accidents regarding jetskis.

You didnt actually believe that would happen did u??? :o

I would advise anyone against the use of a jetski unless they actually owned one!

People are forced by the jetski owner to go to the police station on the basis that the scratch is new? HaHaHa! :D

They have probably collected on this same scratch many many times. :o

If the user doesn't come up with some dosh the 'heavies' :D are brought in to intimidate and get the desired result!

Some tourists leave common sense and brain power on the plane when they arrive in Thailand.

If you desire to hire one check out the condition, note the number, ask if its insured? In my experience none of the jetski in Pattaya are insured. If there is any damage on it do not hire it....if you do you will regret it later.

And thats a promise you can take to the bank. :D

^^ well had it tried on me - I laffed at the lad and stood there for 15min w/4 my mates and basically told him to <deleted> off. He backed off and decided to find some other mug to try their scam on.

The Form they make you fill out, advice not using real name or giving the real address of where you are staying at.

I've used jetskis a few times and the owners seemed like completely harmless, decent lads who went out of their way to make sure I knew what I was doing and I checked the condition of the jetski before jetting off. I don't know where all these jetski mafia thugs are because all I've ever seen is people enjoying themselves.

I've used jetskis a few times and the owners seemed like completely harmless, decent lads who went out of their way to make sure I knew what I was doing and I checked the condition of the jetski before jetting off. I don't know where all mafia thugs are because all I've ever seen is people enjoying themselves.

I have to agree. I,ve used them many times at Jomtien..................never had a problem. Even turned one over whilst trying to be a flash git with a turn..............choked the engine full of seawater and had to be towed back by the jetski lads. Not one baht charged.