New Uk Passport

My UK passport is full, so I plan to replace it next week at the UK embassy in Bangkok.

I will then return to London in December for Christmas, where I will apply for a new Non-Imm B visa at the Thai embassy in London (with new passport) before returning to Bangkok in January to start a new job.

Do I have to transfer my current visa (valid until Aug 2008 with work permit) to the new passport?

What would happen if I showed up at Suvarnabhumi with both old and new passports.. can I just show the visa in the old passport to get an exit stamp in the new passport when I leave Thailand?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Sir_Sanuk

A couple of weeks back I got a new British passport from the embassy in Bangkok. Quite and easy & quick trip to my local Immigration office to have my current visa/extension dates transferred into my new passport (and free).

So I recommend that once you get your new passprt, nip along to your nearest Immigration office, transfer stamps ino new passport, get re-entry stamp into new passport, and preserve present visa/extension until August 2008.

Thanks for the reply... the current visa to August 2008 will be cancelled anyway because I am changing job. I just need it to stay here until I fly back to the UK in December.

So I guess the reason I asked is because it just seems a lot of hassle to transfer the visa, only to leave the country, but I will prob do it anyway.

(I would wait and get a new passport in the UK, but I need to take documents from my new employer with me to get a new Thai visa in London and they need to know the passport number for these docs).

Note that UK passport renewals now take 10 working days, 'owing to RFID chip and e-passport requirements'.

Regards

Note2

And the UK passport office no longer give you the option of more pages (I understand this is still available in BKK). I think this is an important issue when you think how quick our passports fill up. I estimate mine will be full after 2 years from issue in the UK

Note that UK passport renewals now take 10 working days, 'owing to RFID chip and e-passport requirements'.

Regards

Note2

And the UK passport office no longer give you the option of more pages (I understand this is still available in BKK). I think this is an important issue when you think how quick our passports fill up. I estimate mine will be full after 2 years from issue in the UK

Yes ... You really have to wonder why the government(s) have not figured that one out too !

Naka.

My UK passport is full, so I plan to replace it next week at the UK embassy in Bangkok.

I will then return to London in December for Christmas, where I will apply for a new Non-Imm B visa at the Thai embassy in London (with new passport) before returning to Bangkok in January to start a new job.

Do I have to transfer my current visa (valid until Aug 2008 with work permit) to the new passport?

What would happen if I showed up at Suvarnabhumi with both old and new passports.. can I just show the visa in the old passport to get an exit stamp in the new passport when I leave Thailand?

Thanks for any help.

I was in the same position and just a little more information on the above reply, you will need a copy of the old passport with the visa stamp and the arrival card, a copy of the new passport and then pick up a form at the immigration office which you fill in and in my case at Suan Pluh they then dealt with it at the LOST PASSPORT counter which I believe is No 5.

My last Jumbo issed in UK many moons ago was something like 84 pages. I laugh at these so called 48 page Jumbos, which I always pay for thes past 2 issues in Bangkok, last month and 10 years before. Took them more than 10 days. Applied 15 Oct, received by EMS on 29 Oct. I suppose the week ends don't count, so it was exactly 10 WORKING days. Other than that the consular service was quite quick and efficient.