Hammocks

bunta71

New in town and haven't been able to find an extreme model and I'm sleepy...any direction from the ones that are in the "know" :o

I got a beautiful hand tied hammock from the Sunday walking market. There are several stalls around depending on the style and size you need. I got a deluxe extra wide for two which has a wooden widener at both ends for 600baht that got a lot of service out of it before I moved out of my house with two perfectly placed trees <sigh>. You will often see cheap ones being sold on the side of the road. They generally use synthetic string, it will last better out doors but I think they sag and stretch. Mine was natural coloured fibre cord and I loved it - the g/f wanted to buy one that looked like a rastafarian flag. She like the colours and thought my choice boring.

CB

Sounds like what the Dr. ordered.Thank you for the answer,but being new here not sure about the Sunday markets' whereabouts. Just a little more info would go a long way. Again Thanks and tell your wife "Bon diddy wa" not sure what it means but it's some Rasta phrase

The Sunday walking market is an institution in Chiang Mai - well ok anything involving market and buying/selling is an institution here but these are special. The market is in Ratchdamnoeng Road and then sort of spreads out. The easiest way to find it is to go to the Thaphae gate on the inside of the moat area ie old city. On the corner is the Black Canyon and on the other side is the Montri Hotel. The road is closed in the afternoon and only pedestrian traffic allowed to the central police station corner. I prefer the end closer to Tha Phae and the place I got my hammock is about half way up the road and on the right hand side. They were hanging off the wall. I find it you get there earlier and bargain well you can get a better price because the first sale for the vendor is lucky and they like to cover their costs as soon as possible.

Enjoy the market and hope you find a nice hammock. Mine is sadly still rolled up because this house has two great anchoring points but they are about thirty feet apart. Next house is going to have to have a good hammock tree or no way am I taking it.

CB

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I have been looking for a hammock from Sunday market - did not find one with wooden wideners as you mention in you post - could anyone advice where to get one in Chiang Mai or postal order? The one you describe sounds exactly like to one I had before - but the rainy season in Koh Samui made it get moldy...want a new one....

"I got a beautiful hand tied hammock from the Sunday walking market. There are several stalls around depending on the style and size you need. I got a deluxe extra wide for two which has a wooden widener at both ends for 600baht that got a lot of service out of it before I moved out of my house with two perfectly placed trees <sigh>. You will often see cheap ones being sold on the side of the road. They generally use synthetic string, it will last better out doors but I think they sag and stretch. Mine was natural coloured fibre cord and I loved it - the g/f wanted to buy one that looked like a rastafarian flag. She like the colours and thought my choice boring."

I have had and slept in hammocks for many decades and love the things! I have one here that I purchased while in the Yucatan and packed all the way to Thailand and I wove Pawley's Island style hammocks for many years.

For a hammock with spreader bars, the length of the hammock, while pulled very tight, is the ideal distance between the hanging points. This type of hammock is hung about 4-5 feet off the ground and pulled very tight so that it hangs parallel to the ground with nobody in it. A full-sized Pawley's Island hammock is usually about 13 feet long so you need at least that much space between your hanging points. You can use ropes/chains for hanging points that are further apart but they have to be even lengths at each end and should total no more than 3 feet.

For a hammock without spreaders, the distance is about 2/3rds of the length of the hammock because they are usually hung with a dip while empty and are more flexible in shape according to the likes of the owner. Hanging points for these hammocks should be roughly 6 feet off the ground.

Now I am excited about hanging this hammock I have had stashed away for so long...

I saw some good looking hammocks that looked sturdy and approached the vendor thinking I might get one. When I asked how much weight they'd support I got bummed out. They told me good for big people, even Farang. When I asked 'How about a 100 kilo Farang ?' They smiled and shook their heads 'no.' They said maybe up to 80 k is alright, but that still misses me by a great measure, so it was a no-go. I'm thinking the stall I was at is the same one as CB went to, but not sure. As I remember the ppl I spoke with said they were made rt here in CM by them at their house.

I saw some good looking hammocks that looked sturdy and approached the vendor thinking I might get one. When I asked how much weight they'd support I got bummed out. They told me good for big people, even Farang. When I asked 'How about a 100 kilo Farang ?' They smiled and shook their heads 'no.' They said maybe up to 80 k is alright, but that still misses me by a great measure, so it was a no-go. I'm thinking the stall I was at is the same one as CB went to, but not sure. As I remember the ppl I spoke with said they were made rt here in CM by them at their house.

Get two, string one on top of the other and you should be fine. Three?

Edited by Bill97

There are a bamboo couple of shops on the left going up Hangdong Road selling Thai style bamboo hammocks. They look loke half a coccoon and are very comfortable at about 300 baht each.

MB, are these the type that are made from one very thick (about 10+cm diameter) single length of bamboo and split for 90% of their length to make the half a banana/cocoon shape? Love those and have been looking for a source........

And - does your "up Hang Dong Road" mean heading out of CM or into CM?

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

If you ever get up to Pai the shop on the high street makes several excellent versions too.

The real thing is the brainchild of a certain Peter Schmid from Switzerland who has been making these for a long time.

The lady in Pai is his xwife.

A better source for these great hammocks is Thai Tribal Crafts. They have several "Fair Trade Shops" all over

North Thailand. Just search for them on google.