True Wants Me To Use Their Proxy Settings

joebuzzard

In trying to resolve access problems to Wikipedia (see this thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=151635), True suggested that I input their proxy settings into my browsers (I use Firefox, but still have Explorer for troublesome Thai websites that are unFirefox-friendly).

This cleared up the access to Wikimedia websites, but I've not noticed that I have to click on links two or three times, TV included, in order for them to open up properly.

So now, unless I need to access Wikipedia, I leave True's proxy settings off, and things seem to work better.

Anyway, I've never had to mess with proxy settings before. I wonder, what's changed in the past week or so to make this new proxy setting necessary? What does it mean? What are the implications of an "open proxy"? Am I at any risk if I use True's settings. Is there a better solution?

If anybody does respond this topic, please, keep your answers in simple, non-technical terms so that non-geeks can understand them. Thanks. :o

TRUE is able to control your complete traffic in and out while using Proxy! Which means they are able to control what you do on the Internet and what you down- and/or upload!

As far as I can tell only the specific browser set up for the proxy is using it. I did that using the setting that was provided on forum (manual) but had to remove it to get others sites to work right - got blank pages on most attempts otherwise. I changed to using assigned proxy and all has worked fine since - this is using Firefox 2.0.0.9 and setting is tools/options/advanced/connections/settings/auto-detect proxy settings.

• 3 weeks later...
so how can this be avoided then ?

Use FoxyProxy, or a comparable extension, to only use the proxy for wikipedia.

@JoeBuzzard- You might want to try the IE Tab plugin for Firefox. It lets you load pages using the IE engine inside of Firefox. You can even setup site filters to automatically us IE Tab for known problem sites.

EDIT: Added links

Edited by Veazer