Dehumidifiers

Do they sell dehumidifiers on Samui? I've got a mold problem but don't want to run my A/C all the time. If they don't sell them or they are too expensive, are there alternatives out there?

a dehumidifier that works uses up as much electricity as an aircon. it makes no sense to use one in a tropical country.

EXCEPT if only a small room is to be dehumified.

Edited by Naam

Do they sell dehumidifiers on Samui? I've got a mold problem but don't want to run my A/C all the time. If they don't sell them or they are too expensive, are there alternatives out there?

a dehumidifier that works uses up as much electricity as an aircon. it makes no sense to use one in a tropical country.

EXCEPT if only a small room is to be dehumified.

I'm completely agree with him ! It's a nonsense on the tropical's island :o

During the rainy season we have 96% humidity at night and 80% at day.

Thanx. I remembered reading something about it but when I did a Thaivisa search for "dehumidifiers" I got another older thread. I need to stop the mold invasion so I hope to get out and buy some of that stuff soon.

In the mean time, run the aircon.

Hey, the smal "lyckys" or what ever they are called is actually doing miracles in my own closeths. But if you have big mold problem on furniture and so on, as people said already: Aircon rules. Also pricewise on your electricbill.

Cheers man! :o

And off topic: Get ready for tomorrow, seems to be a fair chance its coming on. Migh even call you tonight for a short drinksession!!

You can buy a paint additive, so paint does not get mouldy.I use TOA 7 in 1 & had no problem with mould on outside walls & I'm pretty sure you can use indoors too.

Again you must remember to get rid of all the existing mould before painting.Scrub the walls down with a watered down solution of bleach or chlorine & water.

Mould is like skin, you have to keep at it until you get to the last layer, also twice a year I wash my inside walls with sugar soap.

Edited by Rooo

You can buy a paint additive, so paint does not get mouldy.I use TOA 7 in 1 & had no problem with mould on outside walls & I'm pretty sure you can use indoors too.

where can i get that additive Rooo? i have problems with the ceiling over my pool.

where can i get that additive Rooo? i have problems with the ceiling over my pool.

Paint shops here should be able to supply it Naam,otherwise just get it cleaned & use TOA 7in1, should fix all your problems.

Regarding Furniture, I have some made from Teak and some modern stuff (Index), while the modern items ALL are showing traces of mold, the teak furniture doesn't seem to be affected!

The "rest" comes down to good ventilaton, a/c by night - if it is a modern system it has settings DRY or COOL...

I use a vinegar/water solution to wash away mold...

Paint shops here should be able to supply it Naam,otherwise just get it cleaned & use TOA 7in1, should fix all your problems.

i had the pool ceiling pressure cleaned but a part of the paint flaked off, i.e. ceiling needs painting again. had my contractor ask around for an additive but no result. some paints are available with the claim "anti-mold" and "anti-fungus" but i just don't trust the specsheets and would like to add a strong additive. the paint job is quite difficult as a scaffolding to bridge the pool has to be built. have another quote on my desk to replace the pool ceiling with PVC but of course at a fancy "farang price" of 99,000 Baht (approximately 140m²).

:o

p.s. off topic. can anybody give me an idea what a fair price for painting -labour and scaffolding only- would be?