Fishing

too true

anyone interested? as a day trip or even a one-off to learn how to catch them the thai way? cat fish, tilapia, sawai, chedo (sorry i don't know the proper english names for those last two)... i'm posting on behalf of someone i highly recommend. he speaks good english and has a tour guide license, and fishing is his true passion in life. he's been out to places and seen non-thais fishing and generally spends half his time helping them sort everything out and teaching them about the ways of thai fish. he'll tell you where the best places are to catch the fish you want. he'll even show you how to cook them if you're interested.

sure does. i went with him and caught one 18kg. took me around half an hour to reel it in. wicked time, really, if the fish are biting. it's all about the food. he makes his own. well, it's about the weather too, i think, but we can't control everything, can we?

care to try it out?

Interesting... would be fun especially with a trip up Mae Ngat lake.. Like catch fish there, then on to those lake-side places to have them cook it.

I've seen the video of guys fishing at Mae Ngat and catching incredibly sized fish. But never actually went to Mae Ngat lake, the costs do kind of add up when having to rent out a boat and pay (or dodge) the 200 baht national park fee. With a small group the boat costs would already be reduced.

Cheers,

Chanchao

I live here in Chiang Mai. This guy does have a fishing tour thing happening. Problem is, he's just selling it to tourists right now and, well, there aren't many right now, and because he's the only one selling it, it's not well known and he doesn't get much business. I'm sure there are loads of people who'd love to do it. It's a great time, and even if the fish don't bite, it's a few beers and some conversation in a different kind of place - most people who fish drink beer, right? Problem is, I'm not a businessman. I have no idea how or where to advertise effectively and cheaply. Seriously guys, if anyone's got any ideas on how he can get this idea out there so people see it and are interested, it'd be a great help.

Cheers

Chanchao, you're right about Mae Ngat. It costs a fortune. But there's another dam out Doi Saket way that doesn't cost anything to get in. Just pay for the boat. And there're big fish to be caught there, too.

> if anyone's got any ideas on how he can get this idea out

> there so people see it and are interested, it'd be a great help.

Also post on paces like the thorntree.lonelyplanet.com Long term though, it's best if travel agencies offer it along with other tours and things. For a good comparison: Look how for example that Bungy Jump place in Mae Rim advertises; they also provide a pretty unique thingy (for Chiang Mai) that they need to communicate to potential customers. Same for the hot air balloon, go kart, ultra-light, massage courses, cooking courses. Same same. It's not difficult, but does take work.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Chanchao, you're right about Mae Ngat. It costs a fortune. But there's another dam out Doi Saket way that doesn't cost anything to get in. Just pay for the boat. And there're big fish to be caught there, too.

I think it's the same lake, but not sure. Some years ago, I used to go swimming there most days until they started locking the gate that gives access to where I used to like to go to swim, just to the right of the dam structure. A bit further north along the shoreline are a few places to eat, but never checked them out. Beautiful and peaceful place. :o

• 1 year later...
anyone interested?  as a day trip or even a one-off to learn how to catch them the thai way?  cat fish, tilapia, sawai, chedo (sorry i don't know the proper english names for those last two)... i'm posting on behalf of someone i highly recommend. he speaks good english and has a tour guide license, and fishing is his true passion in life. he's been out to places and seen non-thais fishing and generally spends half his time helping them sort everything out and teaching them about the ways of thai fish.  he'll tell you where the best places are to catch the fish you want. he'll even show you how to cook them if you're interested.

caught a few of these but would like to catch a few carp anyone know where??post-9470-1126810465_thumb.jpgpost-9470-1126810542_thumb.jpg