Thailand Atm Card

Not true in the case of Bangkok Bank as they have an ATM card that is linked to international clearing that is not a debit or credit card.

Access your money in over 80 countries with Bualuang Premier card

In Thailand or abroad your Bualuang Premier card is your key to instant cash.

Bualuang Premier gives you access to your money in more than 80 countries wherever you see the PLUS sign.

You can withdraw or transfer up to 150,000 Bt per day.

In Thailand you can transfer money to your Bangkok Bank accounts and to third party accounts at any Thai bank. You can also pay for your water, mobile phone and overseas telephone bills.

It only costs 100 Bt to sign up for your Bualuang Premier card and an annual fee of 150 Bt.

No, did it a few days ago.

Anyway you can not draw money from a Thai bank outside of the country using a (straight) ATM card.

You need a Visa/MC Thai Debit card or a Credit card.

Naka.

Apart from the Bualuang Premier card.

Naka.

No, did it a few days ago.

Anyway you can not draw money from a Thai bank outside of the country using a (straight) ATM card.

You need a Visa/MC Thai Debit card or a Credit card.

Naka.

Apart from the Bualuang Premier card.

Naka.

Or the SCB Gold ATM Card.

Naka.

I have used my Kasikorn ATM debit card to do ATM withdrawals in Australia. It has a Visa sign on the card, but it is the standard Kasikorn ATM card. I also use it in George Town. Penang. Malaysia.

A debit card can normally be used overseas - but normal ATM cards are not VISA or MasterCard marked but some have Plus/Cirrus links that allow international use.

I am a little confused about Thai bank cards. A credit card oviously draws on a line of credit and therefore ATM withdrawals can be made that do not immediately debit your account. In most banking systems debit cards require that the funds be in an account in before an TM withdrawal can be made as the funds are deducted immediately. Is there another type of card issued by Thai banks? I have both credit cards and ATM cards from HSBC and KBank. I have used the HSBC cards at ATM in various countries and the KBank card (Electon) at ATM in Korea. My wife has a KBank ATM card without the electron marking but has visa on it. What type of card is this and should it work outside Thailand? Is this a credit card or debit type?

Edited by asiaexpat

As far as I can understand from my UK bank the following applies.

1) an ATM card only allows you to draw cash from any ATM machine which is lonked with your bank by Visa, Mastercard, Cittus, Plus etc.

2) a debit card does the above and also allows you to pay for items at retail shops and possibly online.

Both of the above are subject to the amount of money you have in your bank account. Not enough money available then no transaction

A credit card is somewhat different and is usually issed by your bank (or any other bank or credit card company) and is a non secured loan and is a multiple of you income minus your expenses and interest is chargable on the amount you draw and most cards do not charge interest if the balance is paid in full by the due date on the statement (this may have changed by now).

Having said that I have used my UK ATM card in Papua New Guinea but not in all banks for some reason and I have used my Kasikorn ATM there as well but only in one bank and not the other. My K bank debit card was the same though in Singapore I used both the UK and Thai ATM and debit cards with no problem.

For some reason in October my K bank debit card did not work but it was OK in Thailand when I got home.

I hope that helps.