What Would You Have Done ? Had A Drink !

mikethevigoman

This happened to me last friday night, my wife my daughter and i went to the american rib company on Theppasit,.i backed into a space and just nudged a bike and it went over,. i got straight out and went for a look, it was literally a just off stationary touch, the bike was on its side, i picked it up, there were 3 girls stood there, one was the beer girl, it was her bike, we all had a look for damgae ,the usual, mirror,side of fairing etc, nothing, i asked the girl what she thought after i put it on the stand and she had a look ( along with the 2 waitresses ) and said mai pen lai, so in we go for a meal, the beer girl came to our table and asked me if i cared for a beer which i declined ( was that my mistake ? ) ,.anyway to cut a long story short we had the meal and went to leave, now at the bike was , the beer girl, the security ! parking attendant ( where was the tw@t when i backed in ? ) and some other thai big fella,seems he was from the garage next door,. now they wanted to show me an obvious old bit of damage and that was slide marks that looked like she had come off at speed and slid down the road, ive been in the motor trade all my life and this was a con for sure, . anyway, it now turns out she wants ( with the co assistance of the 2 thai males ) 4000 baht, i flatly refused, and said come to my bodyshop and ill repair it free even though i didnt do the damage,.she says she cant do that as she is busy and needs the bike for work, now i can see this would have got out of hand had i been on my own so i said to my wife offer her 1000baht and lets get out of here, and thats what we did,.now, im a fair guy and if i had run over that bike and wrote it off i would have bought her a new one no questions asked, but i dont like the p1ss taken out of me,. i was angry and feel i should mention it to the manager next time i go, she should have done any negotiations at the time it happened, this was not damage caused by me, what would you have done ?

I understand your frustration but say here in europe you scratched my van while it was parked ......I could take you to the cleaners even if you barely touched it!.....allthough technically in thailand you should go through the proper insurance ......but i know it doesn't happen like that in practice!

Edited by dee123

It's as common as rain during the monsoon!! Have witnessed this sort of thing many times, though usually at the time of the incident, were old damage is claimed to be new. Wife and kid there, for a thousand Baht you did the right thing. Their word against yours.

Doesn't stop you feeling mad about it though!!

I guess she had a momentary lapse and forgot it was low season for tourists which is high season for farang rip offs.

Bloody annoying to be sure, I would have called on the manager since the parking attendant was clearly not doing what he was paid to do when you first showed up. When they asked for 4000 baht say 'sure, if the "parking attendant" can come up with 2000 for his share of negligence.'

But since it is done, I would still let the management know that their staff are ripping people off and not doing their jobs... and stop dining there. Who knows, you may get comped for a meal or get your 1000 baht back ( I know, I know, when pigs fly but that's another thread).

Edited by NanLaew

I have to say that whenever a farang just bends over, takes it up the $%#, it's a slap in the face to ALL farangs, and just encourages this kind of crooked behavior. That being said, I have to admit I probably would have paid the 1,000 baht to get out of the mess myself...

I understand your frustration but say here in europe you scratched my van while it was parked ......I could take you to the cleaners even if you barely touched it!.....allthough technically in thailand you should go through the proper insurance ......but i know it doesn't happen like that in practice!

'take you to the cleaners' - for a scratch. What planet are you on!

unfortuneate for you but this could also happen in europe so its "live and learn"

That is a load of crap. What could they threaten you with in Europe ? Bring on the police and they will say that the damage is old and they won't want to know. In fact, in the UK, if no-one is injured they don't want to know anyway. The threat of either the police or violence is what happened here and that is unlikely in Europe.

I guess she had a momentary lapse and forgot it was low season for tourists which is high season for farang rip offs.

Bloody annoying to be sure, I would have called on the manager since the parking attendant was clearly not doing what he was paid to do when you first showed up. When they asked for 4000 baht say 'sure, if the "parking attendant" can come up with 2000 for his share of negligence.'

But since it is done, I would still let the management know that their staff are ripping people off and not doing their jobs... and stop dining there. Who knows, you may get comped for a meal or get your 1000 baht back ( I know, I know, when pigs fly but that's another thread).

This company advertises on TV and thus understands marketing. I would have asked their western management at the time saying that we looked before and agreed there was no damaqe. Whilst eating, she has obviously spoken about the incident and someone has convinced her that she can profit from the deal. I would tell them that their staff were extorting money from customers.

If the management were not there, I would probably have paid the Bt1000 anyway to avoid violence. I would stillgo back to the company and explain and get their take on it before doing all I could to screw their business up.

You did better than I would have.

I probably would've offered 2000.

And if she'd asked for Bt500,000 would you have offered Bt250,000 ?

Being serious though, why would you have offered Bt2000 ?

For me I would have given her something like 200 baht for knocking the bike over.

Maybe then she would not have gone off winging or whatever and the "outsiders" would not get involved.

But if push come to shove then the 1000 baht trick usually works a treat.

So it would have cost me 1200 baht!!!

Mai ben lai.

Top_Cat

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear about the mishap!

She was definitely flogging the dog on this one. My neighbor had her Honda wave 125 tipped over (worth 400 baht) her mama had the complete fairing replaced the back lens & the 2 footpegs on the right side all for 1350 baht.Even the neighbors family was hot at her mother's dishonesty & would have been happy to just fix the scratch(which was next to nothing)

1000 baht was more than fair!

you could have got a cop & most likely it would have been worse or called your insurance co. & They would have proven this was an ancient scratch & your rates would have gone up Tenfold.

Sounds like the Mexican's in America . Setting up an accident so they can cash in.

I don't blame you from bein pissed. Unless your in love with the rib co. I would say see ya to them, at least the thousand will cost the owner more in lost revenue!

Beardog

PM me when your ready for that drink. My land is next to completed!

Beardog

unfortuneate for you but this could also happen in europe so its "live and learn"

That is a load of crap. What could they threaten you with in Europe ? Bring on the police and they will say that the damage is old and they won't want to know. In fact, in the UK, if no-one is injured they don't want to know anyway. The threat of either the police or violence is what happened here and that is unlikely in Europe.

This company advertises on TV and thus understands marketing. I would have asked their western management at the time saying that we looked before and agreed there was no damaqe. Whilst eating, she has obviously spoken about the incident and someone has convinced her that she can profit from the deal. I would tell them that their staff were extorting money from customers.

If the management were not there, I would probably have paid the Bt1000 anyway to avoid violence. I would stillgo back to the company and explain and get their take on it before doing all I could to screw their business up.

You did better than I would have.

I probably would've offered 2000.

And if she'd asked for Bt500,000 would you have offered Bt250,000 ?

Being serious though, why would you have offered Bt2000 ?

Apparantly the owner has a business in hua hin also and was there,. i have emailed him and am waiting on a response,. also while we were eating i saw the girl on the phone and looking at us,. like someone said, i gave her time to put a plan together, i think if time is available threaten to go through insurance, god advice there i think.thanks

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear about the mishap!

She was definitely flogging the dog on this one. My neighbor had her Honda wave 125 tipped over (worth 400 baht) her mama had the complete fairing replaced the back lens & the 2 footpegs on the right side all for 1350 baht.Even the neighbors family was hot at her mother's dishonesty & would have been happy to just fix the scratch(which was next to nothing)

1000 baht was more than fair!

you could have got a cop & most likely it would have been worse or called your insurance co. & They would have proven this was an ancient scratch & your rates would have gone up Tenfold.

Sounds like the Mexican's in America . Setting up an accident so they can cash in.

I don't blame you from bein pissed. Unless your in love with the rib co. I would say see ya to them, at least the thousand will cost the owner more in lost revenue!

Beardog

PM me when your ready for that drink. My land is next to completed!

Beardog

Hi buddy, you are on, but not at the American RIB Company !,. although we will wait the outcome of my email to greg the owner,. if may be a freebie ! :o

1000bht small dosh to get out of this mess. Prob the lady in question was doing the right thing by you and then her mates reminded her that easy dosh can be made out of this situation.

Her original actions may have been reasonable, but her subsequent decision was certainly not.

Greed get's the better of them every time.

Naka.

Of course I would have punched them all in the face, jumped in the motor and ran over the bike several times before flipping them the finger :o
well this crossed my mind, but after considering the consequences ( prison food ) retaliation from thais with guns , ,the impresion my 5 year old daughter would have got i decided on the 1000 baht,. :D

One thing a pal of mine told me to do some years ago, was always carry a cheap disposable camera in your car when driving. Small expense, very useful to get a snap of reality before the lies and threats take over. Now with el-cheapo digitals available even better.

Not sure in your exact circumstances it would have helped. But would have been useful if more damage suddenly appeared after your meal. The camera has certaily helped me in showing which side of the road some idiot was on after he hit me head on pissed and claimed to the MIB that it was me on the wrong side of the road.

There is NO fairness in a rip-off!

But still I would have done the same - gnashing my teeth and go away..

if I would have been in a gambling mood with heaps of time - i would have called the Insurance Agent - more likely the case would have disappeared into thin air.

Nevertheless you DID tip over HER bike - this alone would rectify ANYTHING in the tilted "Thai vs. Farang" view of things....

And that is the point!

Edited by Samuian

This happened to me last friday night, my wife my daughter and i went to the american rib company on Theppasit,.i backed into a space and just nudged a bike and it went over,. i got straight out and went for a look, it was literally a just off stationary touch, the bike was on its side, i picked it up, there were 3 girls stood there, one was the beer girl, it was her bike, we all had a look for damgae ,the usual, mirror,side of fairing etc, nothing, i asked the girl what she thought after i put it on the stand and she had a look ( along with the 2 waitresses ) and said mai pen lai, so in we go for a meal, the beer girl came to our table and asked me if i cared for a beer which i declined ( was that my mistake ? ) ,.anyway to cut a long story short we had the meal and went to leave, now at the bike was , the beer girl, the security ! parking attendant ( where was the tw@t when i backed in ? ) and some other thai big fella,seems he was from the garage next door,. now they wanted to show me an obvious old bit of damage and that was slide marks that looked like she had come off at speed and slid down the road, ive been in the motor trade all my life and this was a con for sure, . anyway, it now turns out she wants ( with the co assistance of the 2 thai males ) 4000 baht, i flatly refused, and said come to my bodyshop and ill repair it free even though i didnt do the damage,.she says she cant do that as she is busy and needs the bike for work, now i can see this would have got out of hand had i been on my own so i said to my wife offer her 1000baht and lets get out of here, and thats what we did,.now, im a fair guy and if i had run over that bike and wrote it off i would have bought her a new one no questions asked, but i dont like the p1ss taken out of me,. i was angry and feel i should mention it to the manager next time i go, she should have done any negotiations at the time it happened, this was not damage caused by me, what would you have done ?

Motor trade all your life and you still can't back up a car???????