Importation And Devalued Dollar - Same Same?

Khon Baan Nok

THIS QUESTION IS ALSO POSTED ON GT-RIDER.COM - APOLOGIES TO OVERLAPPING MEMBERS...

Thanks up front to those who have been shedding light on the importation/registration questions, a couple of which I had posed myself, much earlier in my bike search. Based on that information, I had basically concluded that importation was out of the question on the basis of complexity, cost, time and general frustration. With apologies for adding further clutter on this topic, I'd like to revisit the issue in more specific terms. My question is based on the very limited availability of bikes in the niche market (mid-sized dual sports) I'm shopping in, and very high prices (partially accounted for by the dramatic drop in the value of the US dollar, the currency of my income).

Here's the scenario:

Bike A is a 7 year old DS in good condition, sensibly accessorized, with relatively low stated mileage and fully legitimate green book and clean pedigree from original date of purchase in Thailand. Price is, let us say, $12,000 US.

Bike B is the same make, model, and year, with much lower mileage though fewer accessories. It is located, however, in the US. It can be purchased for $4,000 and accessorized to my taste for another $1,000, bringing the total pre-importation investment to $5,000 US.

Bike C is a brand new bike that, unlike A or B, is exactly what I am looking for. It can be purchased in the US and accessorized for $7,000.

My question is this: Assuming that I'm willing to put up with the shipping and processing delay, hassle, and cost, isn't it possible that I could import/legally register either Option B at lower total cost (value proposition = same bike @ lower total cost) or Option C (value proposition = newer and better-suited bike @ similar or marginally greater cost)? Option B gives me $7K to work with after buying the bike, Option C gives me $5K. Is that really not enough margin to make the import/legal registration process worthwhile?

I appreciate your responses. I know the topic is tedious to those of you that have been through it many times, but the sliding dollar changes (IMHO) some of the financial elements of this decision, at least if one's income is dollar based. A bike purchased a couple of years ago at 41 to 1 becomes a different proposition at 31 to 1. Unfortunately the same is true of real estate, but that's another story...

Cheers and regards,

S.

THIS QUESTION IS ALSO POSTED ON GT-RIDER.COM - APOLOGIES TO OVERLAPPING MEMBERS...

Thanks up front to those who have been shedding light on the importation/registration questions, a couple of which I had posed myself, much earlier in my bike search. Based on that information, I had basically concluded that importation was out of the question on the basis of complexity, cost, time and general frustration. With apologies for adding further clutter on this topic, I'd like to revisit the issue in more specific terms. My question is based on the very limited availability of bikes in the niche market (mid-sized dual sports) I'm shopping in, and very high prices (partially accounted for by the dramatic drop in the value of the US dollar, the currency of my income).

Here's the scenario:

Bike A is a 7 year old DS in good condition, sensibly accessorized, with relatively low stated mileage and fully legitimate green book and clean pedigree from original date of purchase in Thailand. Price is, let us say, $12,000 US.

Bike B is the same make, model, and year, with much lower mileage though fewer accessories. It is located, however, in the US. It can be purchased for $4,000 and accessorized to my taste for another $1,000, bringing the total pre-importation investment to $5,000 US.

Bike C is a brand new bike that, unlike A or B, is exactly what I am looking for. It can be purchased in the US and accessorized for $7,000.

My question is this: Assuming that I'm willing to put up with the shipping and processing delay, hassle, and cost, isn't it possible that I could import/legally register either Option B at lower total cost (value proposition = same bike @ lower total cost) or Option C (value proposition = newer and better-suited bike @ similar or marginally greater cost)? Option B gives me $7K to work with after buying the bike, Option C gives me $5K. Is that really not enough margin to make the import/legal registration process worthwhile?

I appreciate your responses. I know the topic is tedious to those of you that have been through it many times, but the sliding dollar changes (IMHO) some of the financial elements of this decision, at least if one's income is dollar based. A bike purchased a couple of years ago at 41 to 1 becomes a different proposition at 31 to 1. Unfortunately the same is true of real estate, but that's another story...

Cheers and regards,

S.

People trying to beat the prices here do alot of talking but in the end never do it. It would be interesting if you went for B or C and then let us know the whole story afterwards. Lotsa luck

People trying to beat the prices here do alot of talking but in the end never do it. It would be interesting if you went for B or C and then let us know the whole story afterwards. Lotsa luck

That's a fair challenge, Ajahn. Quoting from an email reply I had to this question:

"If it was easy everyone would be doing it right?"

I don't know the answer to that question, because I have not yet found a straightforward, step by step itemization of what one must do, and pay, to accomplish a legal importation and registration. If I DO go the importation route I will indeed document and put back on the record the whole process - I've been remunerated for doing that kind of work before and I know how to do it.

People ARE and HAVE BEEN importing bikes, however, and I would think that someone would have already established some kind of a checklist, or flow chart, that clarifies the steps that are to be followed, including which Ministries have to be contacted, etc. Does this not exist in a FAQ somewhere? Tell me where to look, and I'll do the homework...

Tks as always for pointers...

S.

That's a fair challenge, Ajahn. Quoting from an email reply I had to this question:

I don't know the answer to that question, because I have not yet found a straightforward, step by step itemization of what one must do, and pay, to accomplish a legal importation and registration. If I DO go the importation route I will indeed document and put back on the record the whole process - I've been remunerated for doing that kind of work before and I know how to do it.

People ARE and HAVE BEEN importing bikes, however, and I would think that someone would have already established some kind of a checklist, or flow chart, that clarifies the steps that are to be followed, including which Ministries have to be contacted, etc. Does this not exist in a FAQ somewhere? Tell me where to look, and I'll do the homework...

S.

Bingo. I knew there had to be such a thing out there, and here it is, from another thread:

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Perso...Nme=PersonalPer

Time to make the doughnuts....

Okay, motorcycles manufactured outside Thailand are difficult to import, we all know that. But I would like to ask if things change, if the motorcycle was manufactured in Thailand and exported to Europe, buy it in Europe and then send back to Thailand.

Lots of (bigger then 200cc) motorcycles are made in Thailand, but not sold in Thailand.

So does this change anything on import duties, as the country of origin is Thailand......???

S.

Bingo. I knew there had to be such a thing out there, and here it is, from another thread:

That should keep you busy for a few days and then you'll vanish like the dozen before you with the same idea. Lets say there are 40 big bike shops in the country,do you think none of them know what they're doing when it comes to importing?

• 1 year later...

S.

When I click the link, a 404 message appears. Got a link that works? I'd love to see it.