Exporting A Cbr 150 To The Usa

idahospud

I have no idea of the costs, but I suspect the hassles would be too numerous. Shipping, customs, the import tax, and most of all perhaps, the hassle of conforming it to US specs for lighting, safety, emissions, etc. Then you'd be left with a lovely urban bike that you might not want to take onto the expressway. Granted, the first decent sports bike in the USA would be the Suzuki GS500E or the Kawasaki GPZ500, and they'll cost around $5,000, But they will sometimes out-accelerate a slow Corvette.

Here in thailand for only about 6 months purchased a new CBR 150. I am considering when my stay is over sending it back to the USA does anybody have any suggestions or input on this subject. I am located In Chaing Mai. Costs ?

I would be interested in buying your bike if you need to get rid of it. Right now I am dealing on one here in Chiang Mai but it has a leaky fork seal and a damaged clutch handle bracket so would rather hold out for a better one. Let me know.

Consider selling it when your ready!

The customs cost will eat you alive & PeaceBlondie is correct they will examine every inch on your bike. I had a friend bronze some statues in 2004. It cost him 3 times what he paid for the statues+ bronzing them & it did not clear customs for 2 months.

I think he said they nailed him for storage charges as well.

If you do decide to ship it, make sure it conforms to the EPA standards or you will be modifying your bike to a 125.

I am from Hawaii- Cali area

good luck whatever you decide on!

Beardog

will save you a bunch of money if you just toss it in the nearest lake. Under no circumstance should you even think about sending it to the US. You have no chance of ever seeing it again. None, nada zip.

xbusman

Since you have mentioned in previous posts that you import HD's from USA to Thailand, would you elaborate on your above comment?

As to others talkiing about modifications to legalize the import what would need to be changed? the steering from right-side to left? :o EPA? Honda's small bike engines probably exceed any smog regs for the next 10 years! Check out their adverts..in Thai of course. They are clean-running engines!

will save you a bunch of money if you just toss it in the nearest lake. Under no circumstance should you even think about sending it to the US. You have no chance of ever seeing it again. None, nada zip.

xbusman

Since you have mentioned in previous posts that you import HD's from USA to Thailand, would you elaborate on your above comment?

As to others talkiing about modifications to legalize the import what would need to be changed? the steering from right-side to left? :o EPA? Honda's small bike engines probably exceed any smog regs for the next 10 years! Check out their adverts..in Thai of course. They are clean-running engines!

Enough with the bull What do you propose he does, so far you have given zero input. This site is suppose to be about helping with info got any, Did you look up the custom req's. Didn't think so! What country you from?

Hi Idahospud,

First you need to find a company that holds a Export License for Automotive Goods and parts, if you not have friends in the sector I can help, second the you need to make a wooden box....strong enough to handle some impact (weight is not much a issue). Then with the company holding the export license you need to get a written approval to export the bike, all paperwork takes not more then 1 hour maybe 2 (as you and the export license holder need to go to the Transport Department, to get also some stamps)

This can all be don by messenger and you not need to go cross-country to get papers and stamps. To get the paper work without a company which holds a Export license for Automotive goods is almost impossible and expect lots under the table money transfers. Doing it legal cost you a few hundred Baht and some government 'post' stamps (Some transport companies also have an Export License for Automotive goods).

Personally I will not send it to California, as the Emission standards (and checked) are there higher then other states (Last time I send a bike was a few years back)

Hi Idahospud,

Since I have extra time today(day off ) I do not mind helping you in more detail.

It is my pleasure to return the favor as many people on the Thai Visa site has helped me on numerous occasions.

I hope you can do the same for anyone in need in your area of expertise!

There will be EPA requirements on your bike -reguardless how small they will be.

You will need an agent in the U.S. to clear your bike or be willing to wait a real long time. I have looked into shipping textiles

spices auto's(from u.s. to Thailand) & I have friends that have made the error of trying to ship to the U.S. from here.

The taxes are extreme . My ford 2003 ranger to ship here from the U.S. was $27,000 with shipping & duty tax. I bought the truck brand new for $17500 out the door so I dumped it before coming out.

The taxes are more out of this country than in!

You in addition will need a bond.

Enclosed are 2 links to the U.S. customs regarding the EPA requirements as well as 40+ pages of rederick to wade thru!

This post has gone on for the 3+ years i have been here & most would agree it just isn't worth the hassle(unless you are truly in love with the bike)

Enclosed are the links to the U.S. Customs

I will save them for future posters.

Good luck & Enjoy Thailand.Not just anyway of life, but a true experience! The good the bad & the ugly!

Good luck & I know when you go if your going back to the Idaho area you will miss this warm weather(at least in the snow!)

http://www.customs.gov/ImageCache/cgov/con...v1/icp017r2.pdf

Beardog :o

Edited by Beardog

The problem is, if he's going to buy a bike in the States in place of importing a CBR150, the last street-legal two-stroke sports bike in the US was (I think) the 1982/83 Kenny Roberts replica RZ350 liquid cooled bike. I almost bought one new, but Vernon said it was dead below about 8000 rpm. Canada had the RZ500, but they weren't legal in the States, although I saw one that was trailered in from Canada in the Florida Keys. Likewise, Suzuki Gamma 500's were not legal, but there was always a gray market.

Then again, I'm pretty sure I saw an Aprilia 250 in Houston, around 2003; don't know what it was exactly.

The problem is, if he's going to buy a bike in the States in place of importing a CBR150, the last street-legal two-stroke sports bike in the US was (I think) the 1982/83 Kenny Roberts replica RZ350 liquid cooled bike. I almost bought one new, but Vernon said it was dead below about 8000 rpm. Canada had the RZ500, but they weren't legal in the States, although I saw one that was trailered in from Canada in the Florida Keys. Likewise, Suzuki Gamma 500's were not legal, but there was always a gray market.

Then again, I'm pretty sure I saw an Aprilia 250 in Houston, around 2003; don't know what it was exactly.

Not sure why the comparison to 2-stroke. CBR is 4-stroke. At least the last time I looked. :o

Here in thailand for only about 6 months purchased a new CBR 150. I am considering when my stay is over sending it back to the USA does anybody have any suggestions or input on this subject. I am located In Chaing Mai. Costs ?

Short answer NO.

Are you working here? Have you owned the bike for more than six months? The period maybe a year but...

If so you should be able to take back with you a certain amount of "Household Goods" . Most if not all countries allow expats to do this. You need to contact customs and find out.

Getting it regestered or legal to ride will be another thing but maybe a friend or relative has a acreage where, of course, is where you want to use it. :o

Long answer NO

Any Canadians listening. <a href="http://" target="_blank"></a>Can I import a car from a country other than the United States?

No. Vehicles manufactured for sale in countries other than Canada and the United States do not comply with the requirements of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act, CANNOT be altered to comply and CANNOT be imported into Canada. The only exceptions to this rule are vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older as determined by the month and year in which the vehicle was manufactured and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971.

USA

Before you decide to import a motorcycle into the United States, you should ensure it conforms to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations. These agencies have very detailed requirements that can make importing a motorcycle difficult. EPA advises importers of motorcycles to obtain a letter from the manufacturer stating it conforms to U.S. standards. If it is imported into the U.S. and does not conform, it must be brought into compliance before it can clear Customs and Border Protection (CBP), be legally registered, used and or sold in the U.S. If it is not brought into compliance, it can not remain in the U.S. and it must be exported or destroyed. For example, if the motorcycle you intend to import is a Harley Davidson, many of those bikes were exported for sale in a foreign country and do not conform to U.S. standards. The EPA has a detailed automotive facts manual describing emission requirements. You can get a copy of this manual, entitled the Automotive Imports Facts Manual,(order #EPA420B94006) or other information about importing motor vehicles by calling the EPA import hotline at (734) 214-4100. From a CBP standpoint, you must file an entry and the EPA Form 3520-1 and the DOT form HS-7 must be submitted to CBP to receive the Entry Summary document CBP Form 7501. You will need this form to register the motorcycle in your state. Prior to filing your entry with CBP, ensure you have valid proof of ownership, which is an original certificate of title, or a certified copy of the original, and the bill of sale. You will be required to pay 1.5% to 2.9% duty, which will be assessed based on the purchase price or blue book value.

No

Edited by VocalNeal

xbusman

Enough with the bull What do you propose he does, so far you have given zero input. This site is suppose to be about helping with info got any, Did you look up the custom req's. Didn't think so! What country you from?

Ouch!

That's harsh, dude!!

As a matter of fact i have a few artcles saved from searches I made regarding "gray market" bikes. It has and can be done.

What did you bring to the party in this post?

Note that I have read your following post which is more informative but quite pessimistic.

Wow, we have a room full of experts.

Yes, bikes do slip in, mostly from Mexico on a racing waver. Its expensive and time consuming. There is bonding involved and you dont ever want to be caught on the street with those grey market babies, it is incredibly painful financially. You could get it into the country in pieces and reassemble it there, I am in the process of doing that right now. Again, if you were ever caught on the street with a bike that did not have DOT or EPA certification or import papers, there could be jail time in addition to fines. The jail time comes from operating a vehicle without insurance and possibly smuggling charges. You cant get insurance without a title, you cant get a title unless it is approved by DOT and EPA.

NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS! You can ship a bike over to the states, have it modified and the DOT and EPA will be glad to test it for you. As a good round number for a motorcycle, figure about $35,000 per test and you will probably pass it by the second or third time. There are companies in LA that specialize in this. I am sure your CBR150 is worth that effort. If you want any names I can provide them. So for around $70,000 you could impress the whole neighborhood with your CBR150, maybe.

I can tell you all about the regs, the testing, the process, the costs. I have done it. You dont have enough money to get it done. If you do a backdoor, you might end up in far more trouble than you care to handle.

So again, here is the facts, you have no chance of getting it done, none, zip nada forget it. If it were a 1939 Brough Superior, we could talk. It isnt quite in that class, so do yourself a big favor and drop the idea and dont listen to the peanut gallery here, they have great advice but in the end its not their money either.

Wow, we have a room full of experts.

Yes, bikes do slip in, mostly from Mexico on a racing waver. Its expensive and time consuming. There is bonding involved and you dont ever want to be caught on the street with those grey market babies, it is incredibly painful financially. You could get it into the country in pieces and reassemble it there, I am in the process of doing that right now. Again, if you were ever caught on the street with a bike that did not have DOT or EPA certification or import papers, there could be jail time in addition to fines. The jail time comes from operating a vehicle without insurance and possibly smuggling charges. You cant get insurance without a title, you cant get a title unless it is approved by DOT and EPA.

NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS! You can ship a bike over to the states, have it modified and the DOT and EPA will be glad to test it for you. As a good round number for a motorcycle, figure about $35,000 per test and you will probably pass it by the second or third time. There are companies in LA that specialize in this. I am sure your CBR150 is worth that effort. If you want any names I can provide them. So for around $70,000 you could impress the whole neighborhood with your CBR150, maybe.

I can tell you all about the regs, the testing, the process, the costs. I have done it. You dont have enough money to get it done. If you do a backdoor, you might end up in far more trouble than you care to handle.

So again, here is the facts, you have no chance of getting it done, none, zip nada forget it. If it were a 1939 Brough Superior, we could talk. It isnt quite in that class, so do yourself a big favor and drop the idea and dont listen to the peanut gallery here, they have great advice but in the end its not their money either.

Thank you xbusman

That is the the info I was requesting when I asked if you could elaborate on your previous post.

Relying only on memory (admitedly not always the best) I was sure I turned up a Cbr150 for sale in the USA (Google search).

Also, when you Google for "gray market" bikes, there is a lot of info out there.

The remarks I made in my first post were mostly an attempt at humour (always dangerous :o ) i.e. changing the the steering side. Automobiles are known to be expensive to modify to US specs but common sense would say that motorcycles obviously would not face the same problems.

I would still think that Honda's engines would pass the emissions tests.

Would like to add that I have, with my own eyes, seen a second-hand Kawasaki Boss 175 for sale in a motorcycle dealership in Canada. Made in Thailand.

the second-hand price was about what they sell for new here in Thailand. Unfortunately, the salesman I asked about it did not know it's history.

Gee, wonder how it got there?

Anything to add, beardog?

xbusman

Ouch!

That's harsh, dude!!

As a matter of fact I have a few articles saved from searches I made regarding "gray market" bikes. It has and can be done.

What did you bring to the party in this post?

Note that I have read your following post which is more informative but quite pessimistic.

How's this for putting my money where my mouth is . I spent some actual time as the next 3 posters

did. I sent 2 links as enclosed Richard Bkk did one better & offered his expertise.

If you got some valid advice post it help someone out on the posts ,they really are suppose to be about sharing your knowlege, I am certainly no hero, but I save & post as others do- that way its not a pissing match & a help forum.

No offense intended. Please do not take it personal,it wasn't meant to attack your character, but to initiate some help for the op.

Beardog

Edited by Beardog

Would like to add that I have, with my own eyes, seen a second-hand Kawasaki Boss 175 for sale in a motorcycle dealership in Canada. Made in Thailand.

the second-hand price was about what they sell for new here in Thailand. Unfortunately, the salesman I asked about it did not know it's history.

Gee, wonder how it got there?

Anything to add, beardog?

Bobbin here is some reading material for you to view on shipping to Canada provided by Vocalneil on this post.

Any Canadians listening. <a href="http://" target="_blank"></a>Can I import a car from a country other than the United States?

No. Vehicles manufactured for sale in countries other than Canada and the United States do not comply with the requirements of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act, CANNOT be altered to comply and CANNOT be imported into Canada. The only exceptions to this rule are vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older as determined by the month and year in which the vehicle was manufactured and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971.

USA

Before you decide to import a motorcycle into the United States, you should ensure it conforms to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations. These agencies have very detailed requirements that can make importing a motorcycle difficult. EPA advises importers of motorcycles to obtain a letter from the manufacturer stating it conforms to U.S. standards. If it is imported into the U.S. and does not conform, it must be brought into compliance before it can clear Customs and Border Protection (CBP), be legally registered, used and or sold in the U.S. If it is not brought into compliance, it can not remain in the U.S. and it must be exported or destroyed. For example, if the motorcycle you intend to import is a Harley Davidson, many of those bikes were exported for sale in a foreign country and do not conform to U.S. standards. The EPA has a detailed automotive facts manual describing emission requirements. You can get a copy of this manual, entitled the Automotive Imports Facts Manual,(order #EPA420B94006) or other information about importing motor vehicles by calling the EPA import hotline at (734) 214-4100. From a CBP standpoint, you must file an entry and the EPA Form 3520-1 and the DOT form HS-7 must be submitted to CBP to receive the Entry Summary document CBP Form 7501. You will need this form to register the motorcycle in your state. Prior to filing your entry with CBP, ensure you have valid proof of ownership, which is an original certificate of title, or a certified copy of the original, and the bill of sale. You will be required to pay 1.5% to 2.9% duty, which will be assessed based on the purchase price or blue book value.

No

Same nightmare- can be done---but why,

With all the awesome superbikes that you can cruise on the open road would anyone ship a 175 anything is way beyond me.

My passion is superbikes anyway. No need for a machine that will turn 200 km's as you are turned into hamburger in Thailand. I am sure we can both agree on this.

Since this is way off topic & I am sure we both have more constructive things to do with our time!

Peace out!

Beardog

I know somebody who send Honda CBR-150's on regular basis to the USA, guess he's liar and hides them in his backyard...

Also read this classify on a USA motorcycle for sale website http://www.livetray.com/xzclf/-2/posts/35_...legal_3195.html

I think that this post and my own, stating that I have seen a Thai-made Kawasaki for sale in Canada, show that it CAN be done.

Can it be done without breaking the bank, I don't know.

More research needed.

Beardog

Most of my posts in this forum have been helpful to people who have inquired about various things regarding the Cbr150...I hope.

But I take your point. If I had remembered about the Kawasaki earlier, I would have included that info in my first post.

I am already Exhausted no pun intended. Thanks everyone. I have 11 motorbikes in the USA varies sizes.

Just thought this would be a nice addition but not worth a great expense I thought if $ 700.00-$ 800.00 us would get this done I would consider the option. www.asiatrading.com/bikescbr150.htm claims this can be done so this got me interested.

Thanks Idaho spud :o

I know somebody who send Honda CBR-150's on regular basis to the USA, guess he's liar and hides them in his backyard...

Also read this classify on a USA motorcycle for sale website http://www.livetray.com/xzclf/-2/posts/35_...legal_3195.html

I think that this post and my own, stating that I have seen a Thai-made Kawasaki for sale in Canada, show that it CAN be done.

Can it be done without breaking the bank, I don't know.

More research needed.

Beardog

Most of my posts in this forum have been helpful to people who have inquired about various things regarding the Cbr150...I hope.

But I take your point. If I had remembered about the Kawasaki earlier, I would have included that info in my first post.

Thanks for the link I will keep it & pass it on for any other interested parties.

Ouch thats what I paid for my 1988 Kawi 1000 ltd with 2300 miles on it!

thanks for the repost!

Cheers