Comments On Richard Colburn ?

Richard Colburn is holding a 'wealth management seminar for expats" in CM this week and before i waste time [and $'s], I'd like to hear other's experiences on him and his company. He is a regular contributer for BKKPost, business section.

Please share.......

Seminar is 'free and no obligation' . I'm not bringing any $'s, but i will be bringing a 'big grain of salt'.

I often wonder about the 'get rich quick' schemes or maybe this one is different as they stress 'management' and holding onto what you have already and not loose to inflation, devaluation.

will report what i find....

Seminar is 'free and no obligation' . I'm not bringing any $'s, but i will be bringing a 'big grain of salt'.

I often wonder about the 'get rich quick' schemes or maybe this one is different as they stress 'management' and holding onto what you have already and not loose to inflation, devaluation.

If he is talking about Guaranteed Investment Bonds then steer well clear. These will generally take around 3 years to recoup the initial charges (which will pay his commission). Also stay away from 'low risk' investments that have the word Gilts or Bonds in their title. These can be UT's, IT's OEIC's etc, but global interest rates on the rise make these poor value for money.

My parents often ask me what they should invest in, my reply is always 'your bank account'. Reason - spent 15 years in investment management, and seen many wealthy people become poor. I am assuming you are a little older than me (I'm 35), and would just recommend that you hold on to what you've got.

Go and see this guy and tell me if I'm wrong. His first gambit will be about how inflation is eroding your capital. This is true, bank rates will never keep pace with inflation, but personally I would prefer to lose 1-2% per annum than 10-15% as you may do with one of his schemes.

I have friends who make a lot of money from day trading, and this is possible if you have the knowledge/ support/ data, but is very high risk. Same as life I suppose you need to balance risk vs reward, but as I posted on an earlier thread there are no real 'get rich quick' schemes.

I have met too many investment managers without a pot to p*ss in. If you were telling clients how much money you were going to make them, would you not do the same for yourself?

Anyway rant over, just be careful. If you would like some untainted advice on what he proposes for you then PM me. (I do not work in the industry any more btw).

There are many "professions" where seminars are held and the basic psychology of the dynamic is to make the attendees feel inadequate regarding the subject matter under discussion so they will seek out the "know all" presenter for advice, consultation, or in a lawyers seminar, refer clients to the presenter and his firm.

The post that this is advertising is spot on.

I have friends who make a lot of money from day trading, and this is possible if you have the knowledge/ support/ data, but is very high risk.

You also need luck to succeed as a day trader over the long haul.

Interestingly, there's a proliferation of day traders when the market's direction is predictable. And day trading is particularly popular when that direction is generally up. But watch what happens when markets become less predictable--relatively few make money under those conditions.

Richard Colburn is holding a 'wealth management seminar for expats" in CM this week and before i waste time [and $'s], I'd like to hear other's experiences on him and his company. He is a regular contributer for BKKPost, business section.

Please share.......

Can't help but wonder if he's got a work permit for this...

I have friends who make a lot of money from day trading, and this is possible if you have the knowledge/ support/ data, but is very high risk.

Interestingly, there's a proliferation of day traders when the market's direction is predictable. And day trading is particularly popular when that direction is generally up. But watch what happens when markets become less predictable--relatively few make money under those conditions.

Relatively few? Interesting.

In my experience a volatile market is the most prosperous for an experienced day trader with the right info. Longing stocks on a rising market may make a click or 2, but won't make you very wealthy.

Well I'd say predictable and volatile are not necessarily the same thing, but I'd agree with you that experience helps.

Relatively few? Well yes. Sounds like you're experienced, so you probably noticed how many who were day trading in the last millenium exited the business by 2002-2003.

Even those that stuck around, you have to wonder how their long term audited performance might stack up against a diversified portfolio. I've never seen those numbers, but I'm sure some of them would do well in relation, even despite their costs. And a certain percentage of those would have done well purely by luck. And relatively fewer may have real skill.

In my experience a volatile market is the most prosperous for an experienced day trader with the right info. Longing stocks on a rising market may make a click or 2, but won't make you very wealthy.

Well I'd say predictable and volatile are not necessarily the same thing, but I'd agree with you that experience helps.

Relatively few? Well yes. Sounds like you're experienced, so you probably noticed how many who were day trading in the last millenium exited the business by 2002-2003.

Even those that stuck around, you have to wonder how their long term audited performance might stack up against a diversified portfolio. I've never seen those numbers, but I'm sure some of them would do well in relation, even despite their costs. And a certain percentage of those would have done well purely by luck. And relatively fewer may have real skill.

Agreed. Some of the people I have met who consider themselves to be day traders have no skill or knowledge whatsoever. They generally rely on brokers to guide them. When these guys are running with gearings of 10 or even 20 it is quite frightening really.

To the OP apologies for hijacking your thread, do let us know what info you glean from your conference.

the current market environment is paradise for daytraders as it wasnt that attractive since years.

I think it will just be another financial planning seminar, wherby they try to get you to pay into a Generalli (monthly plan) or something like that so they can make loads of commission, or try to tie you into Executive Investment Bond loaded with crap, but who pay the salesman beter commissions than some of the better performing funds etc.

Personally I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

Have come across one or two independent financial advisors I would class as "OK". Have never come across one that I believe can do a better job than myself at looking after my own interests. Many have a conflict between what's best for you and what's best for them. What they sometimes/ocasionally can do is get you better rates/lower charges than you could get yourself if you went direct to the underlying investment provider. But in many cases you end up paying more in charges.

Favourite question to ask: So how much will you earn from my investment?. The answer says a lot about the person trying to sell to you. Some squirm and evade. Some dress it up in reductions in yield, %s etc, Some are just vague. The best ones would tell you exactly how much in actual money terms.

Edited by fletchthai68

Please share.......

If this guy is so good at what he does ... How come he still needs a day job ?

Naka.

Please share.......

If this guy is so good at what he does ... How come he still needs a day job ?

Naka.

Anyway if its free and you have time why not giving it a try and listen what they have to say. There is no seminar where you cannot learn something. If they try to push you immediately into their products then you know its a scam and they are just after commissions and if not maybe it offers some interesting stimulations.

Hi Jaidee,

Did you attend the seminar? What did you find?

Cheers, Misty