Exchange Student + Travelling, What Are My Visa Options?

Hi, I'm an exchange student from Australia about to embark on an exchange program to Thailand for 3 months, I would like to stay back after I finish for a while to do travelling both In Thailand and neighboring countries, so far the Consulate / Uni / other people have been pretty useless in explaining exactly what visa / visas I need are and what my options are.

I should be recieing a 90day ED visa for the time I am studying

Basically my plans are as follows:

28 Dec -3 Jan (arrive In Thailand and organise my new accommodation etc) - what visa do I need for this?

3 Jan -31 Mar (studying) - this would be covered under the ED visa from my understanding

1 Apr - 30 Jun (travel around Thailand and surrounding areas such as Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos) - No idea what visa I would need for this?

1 Jul + heading off to Japan before heading home

The person I spoke to at the Consulate said something about getting my ED visa extended by immigration, once I arrive in Bangkok, I am a bit hesitant about this, looking at the possible visas available it would probably be best for me to get a 12month multiple entry visa, but I believe that that kind of visa may take some time to be processed (leaving in 5-6 weeks) and that I need to have a valid reason in order to receive it.

Is it possible for me to simply get a 90 days’ worth of travel permit (3x 30 day entries) on top of my ED visa?

Any help you could give me in this matter would be highly appreciated.

Edited by RedOktober

You should be obtaining your ED visa from a Consulate so if you can obtain the single entry now you would arrive on that and perhaps have to extend a few days at the end of your study. Then you could use up to 90 days of visa exempt stays of up to 30 days without cost for your local travel but be aware that onward tickets are sometimes required within the permitted 30 days so it may mean buying a ticket that you can keep changing the date on or in some cases local bus ticket can be used. It will depend on where/when and the rule on that day.

If you can not obtain the ED visa first you would probably have to obtain a tourist visa in Oz to assure airline will take you and then once in Thailand school would provide paperwork and instruction on leaving for a quick trip to Laos or Malaysia to obtain the ED visa.

You should be obtaining your ED visa from a Consulate so if you can obtain the single entry now you would arrive on that and perhaps have to extend a few days at the end of your study. Then you could use up to 90 days of visa exempt stays of up to 30 days without cost for your local travel but be aware that onward tickets are sometimes required within the permitted 30 days so it may mean buying a ticket that you can keep changing the date on or in some cases local bus ticket can be used. It will depend on where/when and the rule on that day.

If you can not obtain the ED visa first you would probably have to obtain a tourist visa in Oz to assure airline will take you and then once in Thailand school would provide paperwork and instruction on leaving for a quick trip to Laos or Malaysia to obtain the ED visa.

Yep I will be recieving an ED visa before I go as I obviosly need one to study; so then I just need to goto Immigration in BKK and get it extended (for as long as possible I guess) and then use my visa exempt stay (3 x30) after my ED visa expires, I don't mind having to get air faires in order to be able to renew my visa, I will just organise for when I want to visit the surrounding countries so that I don't waste the airfares.

Does that all sound right?

That should work although it is always a good idea to keep at least one visa exempt entry in reserve (not get in the position that a tourist visa refusal would leave you stranded). A tourist visa allows 60 days and normally can be extended another 30 days so it is probably more cost effective that multi border runs.

That should work although it is always a good idea to keep at least one visa exempt entry in reserve (not get in the position that a tourist visa refusal would leave you stranded). A tourist visa allows 60 days and normally can be extended another 30 days so it is probably more cost effective that multi border runs.

ok so I should go ED (plus extension so my full time at uni is covered) THEN get a tourist visa, THEN use my visa exempt entries ?

so when and where do I apply for the tourist visa - do I just fly out to Penang or somewhere after my ED visa expires and then get a tourist visa from there, or can I apply for it now (ontop of the ED visa I am applying for) or even in BKK whilst I am on my ED visa?

You need to leave Thailand to Laos, Malaysia or Singapore (or other countries) to obtain the visa. You do not have to fly but that is usually the fastest method if not living near the border. Visa issue is apply in morning and pick up next workday afternoon at most places.

for a few year stay it's simplest to get 1-year multi entry ED.

Whilst i'de love to get a 1-year multi entry ED the conuslate has listed on the site that it takes upto 3 months to get this processed (leaving in 5 weeks) and the letter I recieved in support of my 90 day ED visa shows I only have uni for what is just short of 90 days.

Thats cool though I will simple use my ED-visa + it's extension of 7 days and then goto Patong (want to go there for shopping anyway) pick up a 60 day tourist visa, and then finally if I want to stay any longer I will use one (or even 2) of my availible non-visa entry stamps.

I don't know if/why 1 year processing would take for so long. I used to get mine in 2 hours usually. But of course you need the correct papers from your place of study.

If I calculated correctly time between your arrival and end of studies is 92 days, so your school might give you another 90 days extension if lucky. Of course if you play by the rules you should go to cancel the ED-visa immediately after finishing studies and leave the country but I don't think anyone cares. What I understand EDs are always extended 90, 180 or 365 days per time. Well maybe depends on the type of studies, but there are many things you can study in Thailand.