Bacterial Infection Exclusion At Bupa?

Firefan

I might not have understood this correctly but does BUPA (and others?) have some kind of exclusion of cover of certain backterial infections?

Sounds bizar to me, but I have heard it from a couple of different sources. Does Thaihealth(via Thaivisa) have a similar exclusion?

Cheers!

Friend got a rare flesh eating backterial infection (can infect through open cut/wounds) and after doing research to obtain health insurance after that experience was told from BUPA that they would not have covered even if he had had the insurance..... (he was self insured and it become rather expensive). Cheers!

Friend got a rare flesh eating backterial infection (can infect through open cut/wounds) and after doing research to obtain health insurance after that experience was told from BUPA that they would not have covered even if he had had the insurance..... (he was self insured and it become rather expensive). Cheers!

Perhaps he was denied coverage for that on the basis that it was a pre-existing illness. Many insurance companies will not provide health cover for any condition or illness that you have already had.

Ah, but browsing through pages and pages at bupa.co.th it seems that it is only under "personal accident" meaning compensation for disability and death that there is no cover. I.e. the actual hospital stay/treatment for backterial infection would be covered even under BUPA. CHeers!

Ah, but browsing through pages and pages at bupa.co.th it seems that it is only under "personal accident" meaning compensation for disability and death that there is no cover. I.e. the actual hospital stay/treatment for backterial infection would be covered even under BUPA. CHeers!

Thanks for that update. Sometimes reading insurance documents is like reading a legal paper, have to keep reading it to get any clarity out of it. :o

As has already been pointed out, Personal Accident (PA) coverage found in health insurance plans has nothing to do with treatment. It is an add-on coverage that more appropriately should be named Accidental Death, Dismemberment and Diisability coverage. Having PA coverage in a health insurance policy confuses a lot of people; they quickly zero in on the PA exclusions and associate them with the treatment exclsions.

• 2 months later...

Hold on.. Are most infections not bacterial in nature ??

I had MRSA 10 years ago.. Was a bugger to get rid of.. Would that make me uninsurable for MRSA ever again ?? Would that be MRSA at the same wound site ?? Or MRSA anywhere in the body ??

• 4 weeks later...

TB is also bacterial, and when and if that stuff gets out of hand, it gets costly.

Here is a funny thought.

Essentially there is no treatment for a viral infection.... (essentially)

But in many cases there is a treatment for a Bacterial infection.... but no coverage?

Sounds to me, Bubal is just another location to throw your money away.

• 3 weeks later...

Exactly.. Theres very little viral treatment (cures, they treat symptoms).. So only treatable stuff is bacterial..

And Bacterial not covered if pre existing.. So what I get a staph infection once as a kid and I am not covered for staph bacterial ??

• Like 1