Chiangmai-nongkhai Vip Bus Service

Joel Barlow

flights are only to LuangPrabang or UdonTani!

Not true - Laos Airlines fly Chiangmai to Wattay Noi albeit via Luang Prabang - you don't have to get off the plane however. The best deals when flying are the return ticket + 2 nights accom deals, here (not up to date though).

No ideas on bus options, did the VIP to Udon once, will never do it again..

There's a website if you can read Thai - www.transport.co.th. Failing that, I'd go to the bus station and ask at the booking windows where it says '999'.

If you find out anything can you post it on here as I'd be interested, as I'm sure quite a few people in the Chiang Mai area would be - I live out in the sticks and last time I went to Nong Khai I had 2 separate 4 hour waits for connections so it wasn't a lot of fun but a direct service from Chiang Mai would be great.

Wattay Noi? never heard of that.

my travel agent tried to find LuangPrabang to Vientianne, but failed.

I somewho intuit a Lao gov't endeavor to increase tourism to LuangPrabang...

whatever the cost, it'd be a lot more than the bus. I did take a bus once, almost 9 years ago.

It was not VIP, and I would hardly try that again - all night with knees scrunched up pressed against a seat in front -

until I got a front seat, which had it's difficulties too...

but the 24 seat buses to BKK are not bad.

\

can only be a rumor:

1. the ngau/ngau/ngau ONLY does routes in/out of BKK. it is a special High-class branch of the BKS=transport Co, IN fact the 3 9s mean a distinct high quality, and they STARTED with special offers of 999 bt= means most are now higher. expect 2+1 indiviual seats, bisnisclass style, full recline, full service. buses are metal+THAIstyle purple bands. often rather hesitating to take farang...(the high-class Thai clientele does not like them so much....)

thus the price alone means it cannot be the REAL 999

2. untill now, as some posters testify, there is ONLY a VIP-class nightbus (2 or 3 in fact) CMai-UDORN, should be aorund the 600 THB now I guess. change in Udorn should be very straightforward though, and maybe wait for 30/40 mins. NOT by BoKoSo, but some licensed private operator.

3.on weekends NOK offers direct flites CNX=-Udorn, bypassing BKK (AFAIK, this route was always very feeble)

4.conclusion: it might be that of the Udorn buses is extended to NKhai to gain more custom. I dont know for sure.

teher are also a diferent route C RAI-to udorn, not via Cmai.

Yes, 24 seats is sometimes called Super-VIP. Regular VIP is 36 seats.

Super VIP makes sense when travelling alone, because you can then have a single seat without someone next to you.

When you travel with someone, you might as well go for regular VIP becaus you're then sitting next to the person you travel with.

Both regular and super VIP have 8 rows of seats, so equal seat-pitch. Just that Super VIP has a single row on the left, double on the right.

Wattay Noi? never heard of that.

my travel agent tried to find LuangPrabang to Vientianne, but failed.

I somewho intuit a Lao gov't endeavor to increase tourism to LuangPrabang...

whatever the cost, it'd be a lot more than the bus. I did take a bus once, almost 9 years ago.

It was not VIP, and I would hardly try that again - all night with knees scrunched up pressed against a seat in front -

until I got a front seat, which had it's difficulties too...

but the 24 seat buses to BKK are not bad.

\

"Wattay Noi" is the name of the international airport at Vientiane.

The Chiangmai - Vientiane route has always been via Luang Prabang - nothing new there.

NKP? when I did this awful bus thing in 1999 I had to change bus stations in Udon.

confusing and disorienting at just after dawn after a semi-sleepless, unconfortable night

I still can't fanthom why planes must fly north from CM to sedate, nothing-going-on LuangPrabang before going to Vientianne

- especially if it is not to encourage tourism there -

but why ask why?

For those of us who want to provide accurate information to foreign guests who have to make visa runs, please advise why someone would want to go across the country, perhaps as much as 1000 km to Nong Kahai for a visa run when Mae Sai is only 150 kms away from Chiang Mai?

The final destination isn't Nong Khai, it's the Thai embassy in Vientiane to obtain a new visa.

"The Chiangmai - Vientiane route has always been via Luang Prabang - nothing new there."

Perhaps - I wouldn't know - but why? shouldn't there be direct flights between two important commercial and administrative centers, without a detour going several hundred kilometers north - to what? a minor tourist destination...

TIT meets TIL? :D:D:o:D

got that right, waveydavy. and though the drive would be beautiful (I do love Loei), I'd rather be at home...

and flying - though not a great distance - is about as expensive as to other neighboring countries!

I'm doing the trip myself next week. A few beers before I get on the bus and hopefully I'll wake up in Udon Thani.

• 2 weeks later...
any updates on this please guys?

Pretty sure there isn't a direct bus from Chiang Mai to either Nong Khai or Vientiane. I went last week, bus from Chiang Mai Arcade bus station to Udon Thani leaves 8pm. Advertised as VIP but wasn't really, more like first class, ok though. I bought a ticket in the morning from the bus station.

Arrived Udon Thani at 7.30ish. Straight onto local bus to Nong Khai (same bus station). Takes about an hour to Nong Khai but bus doesn't leave until full (we had to wait 30 minutes).

Get off the bus in Nong Khai before the bus station, about a kilometer after you pass the road to the train station, there were about a dozen tuk tuks waiting on the left hand side. Take tuk tuk to bridge and after crossing bridge tuk tuk, songtaew or taxi direct to embassy (I got there at about 10.30am).

tnx wavey, that helps.

Actually i rang up the bus station to enquire and yes, i was informed that the bus isnt VIP but 1st class.

Was told 563 baht each way for anyone interested. There are 2 buses one at 8pm and one earlier ( i think she said one hour earlier, but forget sorry). Taking around 12 hours to reach Udon Thani.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, it's been nearly 2 years since the last reply on this thread. Now I'm preparing to make a Chiang Mai - Vientiane visa run of my own. I looked into flights and the cheapest is $450 USD. Um, no thanks! So the bus it is. My internet searches have yielded nothing - so can anyone tell me, please, is there an updated bus situation from Chiang Mai to Nong Khai? Really I would prefer to pay the money and go with a "visa run" company since this is my first time, but... since I can't seem to find one, looks like I'm takin' the bus. Unless someone wants to make a few baht and drive me :)

Thanks in advance!

Melissa