My Pathetic Experience With The British Embassy

My recent experience with the british embassy in bangkok has left me baffled, and a bit angry to say the least, bare with me.

I recently sent my long term gf to apply for a visa to visit my mum for xmas, thought it cant be that difficult, everything about us is legit and above board, not that it matters but i didnt buy her in a bar and she has an education, i have a job and proof of salary and money in bank, how difficult can it be? I have sponsorship letters with bank accounts, proof of relationship, all the things they ask for.

So i studied the form carefully, i got together the following

1 letter of invitation from my my mother, her bank statement (15k gbp), her passports copies

2 letter of invitation from me including detailed description of my life here and our relationship, my bank statements (10kgbp) including my salary details paid in each month, my passport copies, my tabien rot(included anything that showed had a life here nad not just a scam), pics of ourselves together from over the last couple of years in different places at different times (real ones)

We clearly filled in the form stating my gf was unemployed at this moment, unfortunately we have been unfortunate enough to suffer 2 misscariages this year and its been pretty devastating. So i have been looking after her, although she is well educated with a BA from a decent school and has worked in the past before all this. I am trying to write all this without getting confused or angry again

Anyway, she goes for the interview for the first time, they wont allow me to go with her, so she goes alone.

Then she is refused the visa on lots of MESSED UP terms clear cases of incompetence.

In the previous June when she was first pregnant, i was meant to go over to a show for work in spain, however, i didnt go due to she was refused the visa and she was at that time pregnant, i didnt wanna leave her, so i rearranged it with work, no problem. However on the visa rejection they had clearly stated that something was obviously wrong as i didnt go to spain and it was for business.

Someone at the embassy is being paid to build a picture of yourselves based on the evidence you give them, however they obviously have not done that at all, if they looked at the hospital evidence we had submitted about the pregnancy and misscarriage they would realise that she was pregnant at that time, and why would i leave her that way.

Also the biggest joke of the rejection was that they had clearly stated we didnt have enough funds, and that i hadnt submitted any bank statements, when cleary, i had sent 6 with my name on them and sufficient money, this in itself was enough to really wind me up.

The list of other reasons were utterly stupid and i felt totally discriminated against, but those were the main 2, they also said she was lying in the interview about her work, lol, now i know thai people are known to lie, but we clearly told the truth and submitted seriously sensitive info about the past year and there was no way we would do all that and then my gf sit in the interview and say she had a job lol so god know about that

So i asked for an email address to complain in the UK, however they lied about that and gave me an email in Bangkok. I wrote a VERY VERY long email, copying their rejection letter and answering it point for point, i still have this. Some snotty nose guy that i had spoke to on the phone replied not noting any of the points basically saying your not having it cos we say so and thats it. So I then wrote back to him asking for some clarification of my points, someone else called me and while going through it, he couldnt answer about the bank statements, and kept avoiding the point, however he convinced me off the phone by saying if i apply again, it should be ok. So another 4600b, which i felt ripped off about but thought it maybe be the easiest way.

So we applied again and were simply rejected with a load of nonsense this time, obviously we had the experience of the first application and covered everything they had asked for this time, made notes of what was sent and filled in the forms carefully, and gave more in depth details of any points that they had suggested in the previous rejection. In the rejection letter the first paragraph clearly states each appication is taken on its own merits, however they are saying further on in the letter that they are still rejecting her due to she said she had a job in the first interview!

At this point, i am lost what to do, everything is genuine and would not even bother writing this email if it wasnt, i feel it was totally out of order and is just becoming a rip off. i cant beleive they outsourced the application to people who cant even put full details of what you need to apply (draft to pay instead of cash) on their website, and is it just a coincidence that there is a company right outside VFS offering guaranteed visas to UK to girls for 30k?

I would like to make a complaint just out of principle at this moment, i dont give up easy if i feel something is wrong, i now have to cancel my plans for xmas due to this, i am not going to pay again

anyone any suggestions who to contact??

thanks for reading

Edited by jason4656

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a long b****y winge.

I have visited the British embassy in Bangkok 4 times, 2 times for my new passport and 2 times for my then Thai g/f Uk visa. As far as we were concerned we had good & polite service, not so long, and acquired the items we required on each occasion without drama.

I give credit to our embassy in Bangkok without reservation. Can't speak for other people. Guess their paperwork is wrong, incomplete, or not adequate. Rudeness won't help.

I have been to the British embassy in bangkok plenty of times. I have heard many complaints from various sources. My only winge is that the English guy behind the counter seems to be a bit of an arse occasionally. I have always got what i have asked for and they are far more efficient than any Thai governmental department i have had to deal with.

The UK Embassy accepts or rejects visa applications on two key criteria:

The first is that there is clear evidence that sufficient funds are available for the visit, and the second is they believe there is sufficient evidence to suggest the visiting party will not stay in the Uk and will return home.

If your friends visa has been denied it will almost certainly be for one of those two reasons so rather than get upset why not look at the evidence you have provided on those two points? Note also that an interview is only required where the documentation provided does not show a clear cut case either way and points need to be clarified. You may not like the way you think the Embassy has treated or explained things to you but they do make it perfectly clear in their application notes that the onus is on the applicant to make an adequate case as to why a visa should be granted.

I think it is just how these people work, screwing more money of the applicants, typical British Government.

It took me 3 attempts to get my wife over to the UK, own Business, Business acounts, bank statements, property in Thailand, Business Premises, two houses in UK, they even wanted photos of the Houses and rooms, i gave them everything they asked for, and went through it with a toothcombe, as far as i am concerned they are jumped up civil servants in there Primark Suits, all having a ball in Bangers, paid by the taxpayer which is us guys, they should have more respect for us as we are the ones who are paying there wages.

(My wife has now been in the UK for 11 Years.)

I know two guys that have brought there G/friends over to the UK, these Two guys are on Benefits and handouts from the Government, the One met his girl in Nana Plaza, knew her two weeks, he went back to Thailand a month later, got married at the Embassy, Visa and plane home, now they are both claiming in the UK, it stinks.

It seems to me if you are straight you do not get anywhere.

I think it is just how these people work, screwing more money of the applicants, typical British Government.

It took me 3 attempts to get my wife over to the UK, own Business, Business acounts, bank statements, property in Thailand, Business Premises, two houses in UK, they even wanted photos of the Houses and rooms, i gave them everything they asked for, and went through it with a toothcombe, as far as i am concerned they are jumped up civil servants in there Primark Suits, all having a ball in Bangers, paid by the taxpayer which is us guys, they should have more respect for us as we are the ones who are paying there wages.

(My wife has now been in the UK for 11 Years.)

I know two guys that have brought there G/friends over to the UK, these Two guys are on Benefits and handouts from the Government, the One met his girl in Nana Plaza, knew her two weeks, he went back to Thailand a month later, got married at the Embassy, Visa and plane home, now they are both claiming in the UK, it stinks.

It seems to me if you are straight you do not get anywhere.

Yes I agree, the system does fall down badly too often. I've also seen or met similar people and mostly I wonder to myself, how do you manage the balls to do that and complain about the state of things in the UK, at the same time.

My recent experience with the british embassy in bangkok has left me baffled, and a bit angry to say the least, bare with me.

I recently sent my long term gf to apply for a visa to visit my mum for xmas, thought it cant be that difficult, everything about us is legit and above board, not that it matters but i didnt buy her in a bar and she has an education, i have a job and proof of salary and money in bank, how difficult can it be? I have sponsorship letters with bank accounts, proof of relationship, all the things they ask for.

So i studied the form carefully, i got together the following

1 letter of invitation from my my mother, her bank statement (15k gbp), her passports copies

2 letter of invitation from me including detailed description of my life here and our relationship, my bank statements (10kgbp) including my salary details paid in each month, my passport copies, my tabien rot(included anything that showed had a life here nad not just a scam), pics of ourselves together from over the last couple of years in different places at different times (real ones)

We clearly filled in the form stating my gf was unemployed at this moment, unfortunately we have been unfortunate enough to suffer 2 misscariages this year and its been pretty devastating. So i have been looking after her, although she is well educated with a BA from a decent school and has worked in the past before all this. I am trying to write all this without getting confused or angry again

Anyway, she goes for the interview for the first time, they wont allow me to go with her, so she goes alone.

Then she is refused the visa on lots of MESSED UP terms clear cases of incompetence.

In the previous June when she was first pregnant, i was meant to go over to a show for work in spain, however, i didnt go due to she was refused the visa and she was at that time pregnant, i didnt wanna leave her, so i rearranged it with work, no problem. However on the visa rejection they had clearly stated that something was obviously wrong as i didnt go to spain and it was for business.

Someone at the embassy is being paid to build a picture of yourselves based on the evidence you give them, however they obviously have not done that at all, if they looked at the hospital evidence we had submitted about the pregnancy and misscarriage they would realise that she was pregnant at that time, and why would i leave her that way.

Also the biggest joke of the rejection was that they had clearly stated we didnt have enough funds, and that i hadnt submitted any bank statements, when cleary, i had sent 6 with my name on them and sufficient money, this in itself was enough to really wind me up.

The list of other reasons were utterly stupid and i felt totally discriminated against, but those were the main 2, they also said she was lying in the interview about her work, lol, now i know thai people are known to lie, but we clearly told the truth and submitted seriously sensitive info about the past year and there was no way we would do all that and then my gf sit in the interview and say she had a job lol so god know about that

So i asked for an email address to complain in the UK, however they lied about that and gave me an email in Bangkok. I wrote a VERY VERY long email, copying their rejection letter and answering it point for point, i still have this. Some snotty nose guy that i had spoke to on the phone replied not noting any of the points basically saying your not having it cos we say so and thats it. So I then wrote back to him asking for some clarification of my points, someone else called me and while going through it, he couldnt answer about the bank statements, and kept avoiding the point, however he convinced me off the phone by saying if i apply again, it should be ok. So another 4600b, which i felt ripped off about but thought it maybe be the easiest way.

So we applied again and were simply rejected with a load of nonsense this time, obviously we had the experience of the first application and covered everything they had asked for this time, made notes of what was sent and filled in the forms carefully, and gave more in depth details of any points that they had suggested in the previous rejection. In the rejection letter the first paragraph clearly states each appication is taken on its own merits, however they are saying further on in the letter that they are still rejecting her due to she said she had a job in the first interview!

At this point, i am lost what to do, everything is genuine and would not even bother writing this email if it wasnt, i feel it was totally out of order and is just becoming a rip off. i cant beleive they outsourced the application to people who cant even put full details of what you need to apply (draft to pay instead of cash) on their website, and is it just a coincidence that there is a company right outside VFS offering guaranteed visas to UK to girls for 30k?

I would like to make a complaint just out of principle at this moment, i dont give up easy if i feel something is wrong, i now have to cancel my plans for xmas due to this, i am not going to pay again

anyone any suggestions who to contact??

thanks for reading

If it was me i would contact your Member of Parliment, i have had to do this once and it worked, regarding my wifes indefinate stay visa, i also had a snotty nose woman on the phone at croydon, so took her name and reported her, got me wild, then got hold of my MP, Mr Richard Livsey, he sorted it all out, i also always take a name when speaking to these people, for future ref, good luck.

Note also that an interview is only required where the documentation provided does not show a clear cut case either way and points need to be clarified.

I was under the impression that ALL applications require an interview. We even had to appear for my then g/f second UK visa. Posted the application and all supporting docs, but interview still required. Hardly an interview, just show faces, UK visa issued within the hour.

Note also that an interview is only required where the documentation provided does not show a clear cut case either way and points need to be clarified.

I was under the impression that ALL applications require an interview. We even had to appear for my then g/f second UK visa. Posted the application and all supporting docs, but interview still required. Hardly an interview, just show faces, UK visa issued within the hour.

No, not for a tourist visa, perhaps for a residency visa.

No, not for a tourist visa, perhaps for a residency visa.

You're right - interview always required. I think some guys posting here are talking about experiences many years ago. The hardest visa to get is a tourist visa for your unmarried g/f. I did exactly the same as the OP 2 years ago. I had a bit more cash in the bank, 2 houses and a job paying 80k gbp per annum. I had letters from my parents, my boss, and even my GP as character references but to no avail.

The biggest problem was her bank account. She had about 250k in her account and they said that she must be a crook etc. etc. The money came from a stupid French man who was about 60 and thought he could buy her. We met when they were still together, and as I am just over half his age there was really no contest.

I have never paid her any money directly, of course I pay for all of our expenses, but I am certainly not 'employing' her. Appealed the original decline, and they then put a black stamp in her passport. Appealed to local MP etc., with no success.

Thing that makes me angry is that I know many guys in England who have wives and girlfriends over there, who are struggling financially, and as this seems to be their main criteria then I was in a much stronger position than most of them.

UK visas are now run by contractors who are set quotas, and they will back each other up all the way. On a lighter note I decided to move over here to be with her, and have never been happier, I think most girls get pi**ed off with the UK after a few years anyway.

I have never been angrier, but also never been happier. I have calculated that the UK gov't has lost about 50k pa in tax, vat, beer and fags, so who loses out? This is part of the reason that 1/2m brits are leaving the country every year, to be replaced by Poles/ Ukranians earning minimum wage and contributing sweet fa to society. Long may the UK continue to prosper!!

You're right - interview always required. I think some guys posting here are talking about experiences many years ago. The hardest visa to get is a tourist visa for your unmarried g/f. I did exactly the same as the OP 2 years ago. I had a bit more cash in the bank, 2 houses and a job paying 80k gbp per annum. I had letters from my parents, my boss, and even my GP as character references but to no avail.

The biggest problem was her bank account. She had about 250k in her account and they said that she must be a crook etc. etc. The money came from a stupid French man who was about 60 and thought he could buy her. We met when they were still together, and as I am just over half his age there was really no contest.

I have never paid her any money directly, of course I pay for all of our expenses, but I am certainly not 'employing' her. Appealed the original decline, and they then put a black stamp in her passport. Appealed to local MP etc., with no success.

Thing that makes me angry is that I know many guys in England who have wives and girlfriends over there, who are struggling financially, and as this seems to be their main criteria then I was in a much stronger position than most of them.

UK visas are now run by contractors who are set quotas, and they will back each other up all the way. On a lighter note I decided to move over here to be with her, and have never been happier, I think most girls get pi**ed off with the UK after a few years anyway.

I have never been angrier, but also never been happier. I have calculated that the UK gov't has lost about 50k pa in tax, vat, beer and fags, so who loses out? This is part of the reason that 1/2m brits are leaving the country every year, to be replaced by Poles/ Ukranians earning minimum wage and contributing sweet fa to society. Long may the UK continue to prosper!!

And one more time, an interview is only required when the supporting documentation is not clear. We applied for a tourist visa in March of THIS year and my better half was not required to attend an interview and the visa was granted. The application notes also state that an interview MAY be required.

As for the part about the visa applications system being run by contractors and quota's, absolute rubbish! The front end data gathering and application part of the process was contracted out to another company in order to cut down on the number of people visiting embassies worldwide. The company ensures that all the paperwork is complete and that forwards it to the Embassy for processing - they are not involved in the decision making part of the application process in any way and will always forward to the Embassy any and all applications received.

Edited by chiang mai

And one more time, an interview is only required when the supporting documentation is not clear. We applied for a tourist visa in March of THIS year and my better half was not required to attend an interview and the visa was granted. The application notes also state that an interview MAY be required.

You were very lucky - must have got in before the quota had been used up.

All I can say is 'lucky you'. We were applying for a tourist visa, and as I already said all our postal application paperwork (for a subsequent UK touris visa) was accepted, but we (both of us) still had to show up in Bangkok for a 'so called' interview..... :o

All I can say is 'lucky you'. We were applying for a tourist visa, and as I already said all our postal application paperwork (for a subsequent UK touris visa) was accepted, but we (both of us) still had to show up in Bangkok for a 'so called' interview..... :o

That's really odd but can believe there is a minimum quota system for the number of people required to attend interviews. Also, I can't recall the name of the company that the Embassy has contracted out the document collection process to but they are a part of Kuoni Tours, an Indian company and I understand they have the franchise globally - nice business to have.

chiang mai, i think you didnt read my post correctly, i suggest reading it again

I have already done everything they asked,

AS I SAID CLEARLY THE FIRST TIME

1 i provided 6 bank statements of my own with 10kgbp in them ( is this enough for 2 weeks in uk?)

2 in the rejection letter they stated, they are unsure of my financial capability of paying for her and ensuring her retun to thailand - they also stated clearly, my statement didnt have any name on it, however i have them here and my name is written clearly in red letters across the top!!!

now tell me that is not a joke please? i have left uk 1 year ago, surely it doesnt cost more than 10kgbp to go there for 2 weeks now? lol

ps i also sent other financial means of showing over 25g gbp

Edited by jason4656

chiang mai, i think you didnt read my post correctly, i suggest reading it again

I have already done everything they asked,

AS I SAID CLEARLY THE FIRST TIME

1 i provided 6 bank statements of my own with 10kgbp in them ( is this enough for 2 weeks in uk?)

2 in the rejection letter they stated, they are unsure of my financial capability of paying for her and ensuring her retun to thailand - they also stated clearly, my statement didnt have any name on it, however i have them here and my name is written clearly in red letters across the top!!!

now tell me that is not a joke please? i have left uk 1 year ago, surely it doesnt cost more than 10kgbp to go there for 2 weeks now? lol

ps i also sent other financial means of showing over 25g gbp

No I did read it correctly. I think that what the Embassy is saying is that with assets of £10k and a holiday that could cost half that amount or more there is a risk that at the end of the holiday you might decide to stay on in the UK and earn some "top up" money and that there's a risk your partner might stay also - don't know, can't read minds. If it helps though our three week trip this year was expensive, in excess of £5k so yes, the UK is bl**dy expensive these days.

What a long b****y winge.

I have visited the British embassy in Bangkok 4 times, 2 times for my new passport and 2 times for my then Thai g/f Uk visa. As far as we were concerned we had good & polite service, not so long, and acquired the items we required on each occasion without drama.

I give credit to our embassy in Bangkok without reservation. Can't speak for other people. Guess their paperwork is wrong, incomplete, or not adequate. Rudeness won't help.

Didn't sound like a whinge to me at all. Maybe you've just been lucky, or he's been unlucky, but either way he has a genuine grievance.

The biggest problem you have is nothing solid in Thailand that will ensure her return.

You can prove yourself, money and everything there for her in England as much as you want however (from what you posted) there is no proof of something solid that will make her return i.e. she owns a 1 mil condo in BKK, a car or a letter from her employer stating her work and she is expect to return for work after the holiday.

The first thing I tried to get for my wife was a tourist visa and she was rejected at the office as she didn't take the our land details here. What made it even more infuriating then was the fact that she lived in Laos and of course to get to bangkok it meant a plane flight and night in hotel - for the priviledge of application!

What made it even worse is the fact that they don't state anywhere on there forms such information is relevant! She was told well if you can get someone fax it then you can have a visa . .. . so firstly she had no phone (being from Lao - Lao sims then didn't roam) to call anyone and even then in Laos people don't just have a fax machine hanging around in the house! She explained this the reply . . . Ok .. REJECTED . . . Next!

I went totally apeshit with the Visa department both Thailand and UK to be told basically toughshit. It was the persons on the counter who made the decision and it couldn't be change . . total joke.

So when our marriage visa application went in we were overly prepared I had absolutely every scrap of detail available. Emails, pictures, bank accounts, land details, my job information for the past 5 years, accounts for my company etc etc etc etc. Even with this she had to undergo a 60 minute interview which she said the old Thai woman was rude and ignorant and didn't want her to have the visa (being Lao didn't help her case!) but thankfully the English guy was the opposite and granted her visa.

We stayed 11 months . . next year we will be going back for a holiday . . so now intheory our application for a visa should be a formality (also considering she now has a permanent visa for Oz in her passport (although we aren't moving yet!)!)

I have taken a couple of Thai girlfriends back to the UK, there used to be an English woman who interviewed the Thai girls very harshly, the only way I got them through was because I worked for the British Embassy in Libya, keeping track of the Brits there, I did not want to bring that up, but when I eventually did things ran smoothly. They are supposed to be there to help Brits overseas but a suit as a uniform seems to give them power and reject normal things. I agree Britain does not want any more illegal immigrants, a few million already there they will not send home are enough. But a normal British guy taking his girl home and guaranteeing her departure should be easily recognised.

I loved it once as a ship's crew of over 300 souls returning to Uk in the early 70's we were greeted at immigration by an Asian immigration officer, the Captain, Mate and myself as Purser said immediately we want a British person to allow this ship's company to be allowed back into our country not a foreigner. A Brit was immediately brought to do the job. Doubt if they could find one nowadays.

Even with this she had to undergo a 60 minute interview which she said the old Thai woman was rude and ignorant and didn't want her to have the visa (being Lao didn't help her case!) but thankfully the English guy was the opposite and granted her visa.

yes my gf had the first interview with a rude english woman, she was asked if she wanted to speak in thai or english, and she replied she would reply in english, and she was then TOLD no you will speak thai, and at several points she tried to give answers in english and was basically told to shut up and answer in thai, even though the translator was translating wrongly what she was saying. That is why they were confused about the work issue.

There are many signs of serious incompetence here, and i will give up applying at this point, thats 3 times now and im fuc_king sick of it to be honest, jumped up tossers, the guy who spoke to me on phone and replied to my email was a total dick, not much more i can do now anyway

Hi Jason,

I am not going to go into the various gripes and swipes that have been part of the responses here, some of the advice is plain wrong.

However, in your post you have given little in particular on your girlfriends, ' reason to return', often a critical factor in any visit visa, although you do state that was not one of their main reasons for refusal.

A further however, however:

There are many signs of serious incompetence here,

not much more i can do now anyway
Complain to UK Visas.

When you say there is nothing you can do, there is the above option, it wont cost you anything but time and a stamp, or have you thought of an immigration advisor, if you have, or do, ensure it is an OISC advisor and not just a Plaque on a wall fly by night.

Good Luck

Moss

Edited by Mossfinn

thank you, yes i understand the not much reason to return, we gave her families details and all that they asked for but reality these days what can i have? i sent my tabien rot, which is all i have to say i will be here in thailand myself and my account iwth money in it here, another 10k. She has little savings

basically, i have just been totally honest about everything

basically, i have just been totally honest about everything

I was waiting for the reason to return being stated. As sadly, honesty isn't enough - a requirement to meet the visa rules is.

There are lots who complain about the injustice of it all - me included - and at one stage I felt tempted to suggest to my now wife to dump her passport before she gets on the plane and claim asylum when she got here! I gave up on getting a visit visit as we couldn't meet the requirments, although one view has to be that it would make sense to allow your intended to see the reality of life here, but as we were going to marry in any case, she is now here (UK) on an SV (doing very well thanks - works, does voluntary work and studies).

You just cannot beat the system whatever you think and as mossfin says, this thread has had some dumb comments, hence my quip about a primark suit!

my main grievance is that they claimed the reason for refusal was that i had shown NO BANK STATEMENTS OR FINANCIAL MEANS apart from 1 bank statement with no name on it.

The 1 bank statement with no name on it was my mums she got me to print it out from cahoot, it had no name on it, but she signed it though.

but clearly i sent my 6 last months bank statements from hsbc with my name clearly on them in red across the top

so surely this is enough to make it laughable to write i didnt submit this when it clearly was there

and surely thats enough to show they dont properly read the evidence???