Can You Buy A Diesel Saloon In Thailand?

NormanW

For sure there are Mercedes-Benz saloons with Diesel engine (C 220, E 220 and some S-Class too) and AUDI (S6). Probably also BMW, but not sure which model.

Just saw some advertising for the Ford Focus with Diesel engine. They claim a torque of 340 Nm, quite impressive for a 2 liter engine.

The average difference between petrol and diesel is 30% and it is VERY noticeable. My 3.0 liter diesel pickup gets 15 kilometers per liter and the car is lucky to get 12 kilometers per liter with 95 octane and a 1.8 liter engine.

ok but if you compare toyota corola purchase that make about 1/13

and isuzu 3.L diesel makes about the same so....??

*I try to say that its not logical decision to buy pick-up decause the diesel when thinking of "diesel saves money" but when it comes to reality toyota corola less noisy and comftable will make about the same if not better..

dont u agree with me?

You have to compare the toyota corolla altis 1.8 to a 1.8 diesel version(like the one they sell in Europe). I bet the diesel will get you 4/5 extra km on a liter.

You will see that modern diesels are very quite, smooth and fast. Why you think Diesels are so popular in Europe..

You cant compare a pick-up engine to a regular cars engine.

I agree with you but I talk about the local market that goes for pickup instead of a regular sedan with 1.5/1.6 engine.

If you can choose 2.5L dmax or toyota vios... do u understand my point?

But the best the best I want to have here in thailand is the FIAT PANDA (!!!)All in 1 :o

just a question , what's the different between diesel engine and benzine engines when it come to fuel consumption I see amost no different.

1/12 1/13 1/14

?

I can give you an example from the Ford Focus sold in Denmark ( Both with a manual gearbox):

They sell it with an 2 liter Duratec petrol engine: 145 HP and 185 Nm at 4500 rpm

City driving:10,2 km per liter

Outside city:18,5 km per liter

Mixed driving:14,1 km per liter

Top speed: 206 km/h

0-100 km/h: 9,2 seconds

50-100 km/h: 11,9 seconds

And then they have the 2 liter Duratorq diesel engine:136 HP and 320 Nm at 2000 rpm

City driving:13,5 km per liter

Outside city:22,7 km per liter

Mixed driving:18,2 km per liter

Top speed: 203 km/h

0-100 km/h: 9,3 seconds

50-100 km/h: 7,8 seconds

So there is a good reason to buy a car with a diesel engine - in my opinion.

Also note the numbers for acceleration from 50-100 km/h !

So the last post from Gary A is quite accurate.

North

just a question , what's the different between diesel engine and benzine engines when it come to fuel consumption I see amost no different.

1/12 1/13 1/14

?

I can give you an example from the Ford Focus sold in Denmark ( Both with a manual gearbox):

And then they have the 2 liter Duratorq diesel engine:136 HP and 320 Nm at 2000 rpm

North

Is this the same engine that will be available in the new ford focus here? The Thai website has a calculator for fuel usage. The diesel engine could potentially save tens of thousands of baht per year depending on the distance driven. With the 6 speed it should be pretty snappy to drive, but that might not appeal to Thai motorists). I'm surew with a 5/6 speed auto or semi auto it would be much more popular. All that low down torque would make it great for city driving (thats my one complaint about my civic 2.0 - lack of good torque at low revs).

As GaryA pointed out, there is a BIG difference in fuel consumption between diesel and gasoline. Another benefit of diesel engines is that at idle, they burn VERY little fuel and with diesel being oily (helps lubricate the engine in addition to the motor oil) the engines are less likely to overheat while idiling as well. This is a huge plus in the typical BKK traffic jam. Diesels are more sensitive to water than gas engines (they use two filters as opposed to one for gas engines) so it's best to change both filters even before the owner's manual recommends it. However, if you keep after your filter changes and do the regular motor oil and air filter changes, your diesel can go for many more km's than a gas engine.

It would be great if our little Toyota Corona had a diesel...it drinks a lot of gas with the engine being old and the car being heavy. I would love to have a nice four door pickup, but being a poor English teacher makes that idea "wishful thinking"! :o

1/12 1/13 1/14

?

North

Is this the same engine that will be available in the new ford focus here? The Thai website has a calculator for fuel usage. The diesel engine could potentially save tens of thousands of baht per year depending on the distance driven. With the 6 speed it should be pretty snappy to drive, but that might not appeal to Thai motorists). I'm surew with a 5/6 speed auto or semi auto it would be much more popular. All that low down torque would make it great for city driving (thats my one complaint about my civic 2.0 - lack of good torque at low revs).

Yes, I am quite sure it is the same engine that will be available here in Thailand, I compared the technical data, and they are identical.

I guess thai motorists are a bit lazy and would want the automatic gearbox, but with an automatic gearbox the fuel economy will be worse than with the 6-speed manual.

North

Yes, I am quite sure it is the same engine that will be available here in Thailand, I compared the technical data, and they are identical.

I guess thai motorists are a bit lazy and would want the automatic gearbox, but with an automatic gearbox the fuel economy will be worse than with the 6-speed manual.

North

Quite possibly, but modern autos are pretty good in terms of fuel consumption. Flicking through a 6 speed on the gas might negate any benefit the manual has re: fuel consumption. I don't know if Thais are lazy; I also hate driving in BKK congestion with a manual. I hated it when I had a manual honda city. I had to get the auto civic (it's more wife friendly!) That would be a lot of fun in manual form.

Would be great to see some high performance diesel sedans, like the focus, hit the market here. I wonder if car dealers would be worried about a diesel altis eating into the pickup market though..

Will be interesting to see the real world (BKK) fuel consumption of the new focus. This car is over 1M baht, so will be interesting to see how popular it is, even though there are only 30 units so far.

As a poor English teacher, i would love to see the Vios with a diesel 1.5 engine like the one in the Yaris. Or similar sized cars with a diesel and auto box. Look at the VW Passat 1.9TDI Auto, it is so expensive, even for a 2003 model year.

We can all wish for a small affordable diesel auto saloon and 60mpg +.

Regards

Edited by NormanW

For sure there are Mercedes-Benz saloons with Diesel engine (C 220, E 220 and some S-Class too) and AUDI (S6). Probably also BMW, but not sure which model.

Just saw some advertising for the Ford Focus with Diesel engine. They claim a torque of 340 Nm, quite impressive for a 2 liter engine.

BMW only have the 4-cyl deisel here in Thailand...I have the 520d..very quick...just been to Kanchanaburi and back today 18km/ltr..rarely does less than 10km/ltr around BK. Also you can sit in the car whilst waiting for the wife to 'quick shop', and leave the engine running for the air con. Doesn't use much fuel on tickover. Quite inside..but sounds a bit like a pick up from outside...you notice very little vibration sitting in the car at tickover...can recommend it.

BMW only have the 4-cyl deisel here in Thailand...I have the 520d..very quick...just been to Kanchanaburi and back today 18km/ltr..rarely does less than 10km/ltr around BK. Also you can sit in the car whilst waiting for the wife to 'quick shop', and leave the engine running for the air con. Doesn't use much fuel on tickover. Quite inside..but sounds a bit like a pick up from outside...you notice very little vibration sitting in the car at tickover...can recommend it.

Wow a BMW 520d, now that is the right car to drive here in my opinion. Safe, economical and as the Japanese cars will last a lifetime. All down to money which few of us can afford. Safe driving and respect.

Just need to win that lotto so i can then have a car collection like those people you see on Top Gear etc.

Regards

Regards

With my volkswagen Passat 1.9 TDI 130hp i had in Holland i did 16-18km on a liter diesel.

The max you will get with a similar sized petrol car is 1 on 12-13. Big difference if you ask me.

Lol for faily obvious name reasons the do not sell the Passat here not many Thais want a crazy car

As a poor English teacher, i would love to see the Vios with a diesel 1.5 engine like the one in the Yaris. Or similar sized cars with a diesel and auto box. Look at the VW Passat 1.9TDI Auto, it is so expensive, even for a 2003 model year.

Regards

I would love to be able to buy a small car like the Peugeot 206 1,4HDi here in Thailand.

City driving: 18,5 km per liter

Outside city driving: 27 km per liter

Mixed driving: 23,3 km per liter

Ok, it is not the fastest car in the world, but it would be ok for me, and I would save a lot of money due to the low fuel consumption.

North

With my volkswagen Passat 1.9 TDI 130hp i had in Holland i did 16-18km on a liter diesel.

The max you will get with a similar sized petrol car is 1 on 12-13. Big difference if you ask me.

Lol for faily obvious name reasons the do not sell the Passat here not many Thais want a crazy car

That car was great! Did 320.000km without a single problem.

Regards

I would love to be able to buy a small car like the Peugeot 206 1,4HDi here in Thailand.

City driving: 18,5 km per liter

Outside city driving: 27 km per liter

Mixed driving: 23,3 km per liter

Ok, it is not the fastest car in the world, but it would be ok for me, and I would save a lot of money due to the low fuel consumption.

North

Absolutely WOW imagine that, more money left over at the end of the month to buy something for the condo. Hmmm.

Come on Thai government get the diesels and Hybrids in at the price of our petrol cars and we will be cooking on gas!

Regards

If there was a camry with a big diesel engine i certainlly would buy one.

Another WOW imagine that - a Camry with a 2.2 diesel engine, come on lets ave it!

That would go with the BMW 520d.

If i had the garage space hehe.

Regards