What Do You Think Of These Laptop Specs?

davejonesbkk

ACER

Intel Celeron 530

1.73 GHZ, 1 MB L2 cach, 533 MHZ FSB (this bit I dont get, 1MB of what? and whats FSB?) Intel 960 GM Express chipset (dunno what this is either...the motherboard maybe?) 120GB Hard drive (waaay more than I need but what the hel_l) 512 mb DDR2...dont know the speed...think it might be 667

Intel GMA x3100 (is this the graphics card?) and that goes UP TO 224MB (????) plus free bag and 1 year free insurance just under 20,000 baht

This an OK deal? It will just be for internet, Thunderbird, MS Office....I do need to be able to multi task though.

For the price that sounds quite reasonable - but I do have a couple of questions. What size screen - 12", 15", 16" or 17" - the bigger the better (up to a point), but I assume you want a laptop rather than a desktop computer for portability.

I also assume the laptop is new and not second-hand. Personally, if you are in Bangkok, visit Pantip Plaza and compare, compare, compare - BEFORE you part with your hard-earned baht.

Also - what operating system comes with the machine. Windows XP Pro, Windows XP Home or one of the new Vista systems. Is the O/S genuine or a pirate version which will give you grief later on when you need security updates.

Finally - I would put as much RAM (memory) as you can -- the 512mb is nowhere near enough these days - nothing less than 2Gb please.

Peter

I think the screen is about 14"

Yes, it's new

No OS, but they said they can install a COPIED version of either XP or Vista (I dont think I can afford a laptop that comes with the official version, been using copied versions for years with no probs really)

So even 512 RAM is not enough just to run MS Office, Thunderbird and Mozilla??? Anyway, I plan to get another 1 GIG OF ram for it straight away.....

Yes, it's new

No OS, but they said they can install a COPIED version of either XP or Vista (I dont think I can afford a laptop that comes with the official version, been using copied versions for years with no probs really)

So even 512 RAM is not enough just to run MS Office, Thunderbird and Mozilla??? Anyway, I plan to get another 1 GIG OF ram for it straight away.....

If you run on a copied version of windoze, then , in my experience, you WILL eventually have trouble from microshaft...besides having all the problems of using windows.....spyware, viruses, adware, trojans,etc ....plus having to reinstall when the system gets clogged and too slow to use.................

Why not install linux....and avoid all the hassle?

i run my six year old laptop on Ubuntu....with no problems.....and the computer spec is not a patch on yours.........

Edited by ronw

Yes, it's new

If you run on a copied version of windoze, then , in my experience, you WILL eventually have trouble from microshaft...besides having all the problems of using windows.....spyware, viruses, adware, trojans,etc ....plus having to reinstall when the system gets clogged and too slow to use.................

Why not install linux....and avoid all the hassle?

i run my six year old laptop on Ubuntu....with no problems.....and the computer spec is not a patch on yours.........

OP does not seem to tech savvy. He does not even know the basics of hardware. You are advising him to run linux. Probably he would use it easily. :o

The spec seems to be ok. But I wouldn't use Vista on this Laptop but XP will works fine, even with 512 MB Memory. But to add 1 more 512 or even 1 GB Memory will speed up XP quite a bit.

Instead of any Windows you could use Linux like Ubuntu, which is very easy to install and to use. I don't suggest PCLinuxOS from very bad experiences within the last few days because it's a lot problems with to get the media to work and difficult for an Nivice to setup to the requirements. Ubuntu works like Plug'n Play!

The GMA x3100 is the Graphic Card and the the up to 224 MB is additional memory the Card use from system memory if need for some programs.

1 MB L2 is the Cache Memory of the CPU and means than the computer work faster je more L2 Cache Memory is available.

FSB means Front Side Bus and is the effective Clockspeed the CPU can work with on this MB.

OT : And then you will be pwned by future MS updates and will come cry that he thing says you're a pirate :o (btw i thought the policy about piracy was strict over here :D )

1MB L2 Cache : Means that inside your processor you have "memory", used to put in a queue Data that need to be processed (so the Processor is not overwhelmed by data) the more, the best to some extinct.

FSB : Front side bus, this is the basic "speed" at which your processor operate with the chipset (it's part of the processor speed calculation too), it means that your memory and processor will "speak" together at this speed, note though that now Memory works asynchronously with processors so it's not totally true anymore... But you get the basic idea

Intel 960 GM Express chipset : As stated it's a chipset, a set of component on the motherboard that manages peripherals, memory etc...

Intel GMA x3100 : Indeed the Graphic card, the memory can be set inside the bios, and it shares your main memory as well (so if you set 224MB, you are left with 226 MB for the system), but anything Intel GMA is a waste of time, don't bet on that to play any serious 3D games (if you planed to do so) for the rest : dvd playing, divx, net surfing etc, it's more than an average card.

Now for my advice : Intel Celeron ? it's crap, this computer will run like a dog. Any shit Celeron based will run like a dog, even First generation Intel coreDuo runs like a dog and they are much better than Celecrap. Stay away from that if you want and search for another laptop with at least a Core2Duo (even if it's the cheapest offering) you won't regret it.

Your needs may be surfing only, but most likely this laptop will be such a dog to bootup after some times that you will regret ever buying it... !

Edit : Was typing while Reimar posted, i didn't intend to double post the same thing (or close to it anyway)

Edited by Kyosuken

One of my computer is an NEC MA17X and the spec: 1,7 GHz Celeron, 1 GB memory, GraCa 8MB.

I use this computer for to testing OS systems. It works very well and even fast with Ubuntu. XP: no problems and fast! Server 2008 Beta: Fast and without any hassle! PCLinuxOS: terrible for to setup the sytem for Internet and Nertwork and works on the half speed as Ubuntu, beside of the media problems!

Kyosuken Posted Today, 2007-11-19 11:01:29

Now for my advice : Intel Celeron ? it's crap, this computer will run like a dog. Any shit Celeron based will run like a dog, even First generation Intel coreDuo runs like a dog and they are much better than Celecrap. Stay away from that if you want and search for another laptop with at least a Core2Duo (even if it's the cheapest offering) you won't regret it.

I not would say that! In my opinion a Laptop is a Computer for temprorary workings. And for that what the OP would like to do with the Laptop it's really fine. And he wouldn't have any hassle with the OS Updates pp. if he use Linux like Ubuntu. Just for Internet, E-Mail and Ms-Office that computer will do the work.

If the OP is an Pro like Kyosuken than for sure the machine isn't good eneough! But I believe he isn't and a simple machine for an Novice is better an much more sensitive High End Product!

high end ? no no Core2duo have a lot of offering from budget range to high end, don't spread FUD please.

Well if he uses Ubuntu (he is not tech savy huh, he will have to take the step of actually be able to install that, not difficult for you and me, but i don't see that easy for somebody who never done it, yet)

You may think Celecrap is fine, if you don't do much with, installing a system and keeping it as is, using 1hr a day with. Yeah you won't see much differences. But the op is a beginner, and as all beginner i have encountered they do the same errors overtime : install crap because friends said so, because they want to try "new" software or because their needs change with time.

And then he will feel that his laptop is the slow. I see loads of people everyday coming to me "hey my laptop is slow can you do something about it ?", many of them uses Celecrap, of course much more 'high end' (as you say because i didn't recall telling him to go buy a macbook pro or pointing out to the latest Intel Cpu ) setup get slow too, you can then imagine how slow a celecrap will get when you see one.

As for the "pro" comment, i hope so that beginners would prefer being advised by a Pro who knows their things than by "Friends" that know it all and speak facts from their arse

Some strong language here, I will make it short and sweet :o

Upgrade to 1GB RAM, and install XP and you will have a fine laptop. The 1GB RAM upgrade is cheap, it's the best upgrade for the price that will make things faster. XP is really happy with 1GB. I think the Celeron is fine - surely a Core 2 Duo will be way faster, but its also BHT 4000 more, at least at Acer.

Your machine is on this page, I think: http://www.acer.co.th/backend/backoffice/w...ok.php#sublnk20

They have one for 18K as well, smaller HD but seems to be the same otherwise.

Edited by nikster

@Nikster

It was the "purpose" of my first post, it's 4k baht more but it's not really impossible to reach, and it's in no way highend for a computer that will surely last "longer". But some people thought it was better spreading FUD, and lecturing me by saying nonsense. So i called for BS.

I will quote myself to show that i didn't force the op to go this route, but mildly suggested he does so :

Stay away from that if you want and search for another laptop with at least a Core2Duo

Now calling Celeron "crap" may be too much for some loving fanboys... but that's another matter if someone calls my favorite movie "crap" i am not going to hire a hitman to show him my way :o

Now calling Celeron "crap" may be too much for some loving fanboys... but that's another matter if someone calls my favorite movie "crap" i am not going to hire a hitman to show him my way :o

Agreed, and if he likes to buy a Volkswagen and he is happy with it, let him do it and do not force him to buy a Mercedes.........

OT : And then you will be pwned by future MS updates and will come cry that he thing says you're a pirate :o (btw i thought the policy about piracy was strict over here :D )

1MB L2 Cache : Means that inside your processor you have "memory", used to put in a queue Data that need to be processed (so the Processor is not overwhelmed by data) the more, the best to some extinct.

FSB : Front side bus, this is the basic "speed" at which your processor operate with the chipset (it's part of the processor speed calculation too), it means that your memory and processor will "speak" together at this speed, note though that now Memory works asynchronously with processors so it's not totally true anymore... But you get the basic idea

Intel 960 GM Express chipset : As stated it's a chipset, a set of component on the motherboard that manages peripherals, memory etc...

Intel GMA x3100 : Indeed the Graphic card, the memory can be set inside the bios, and it shares your main memory as well (so if you set 224MB, you are left with 226 MB for the system), but anything Intel GMA is a waste of time, don't bet on that to play any serious 3D games (if you planed to do so) for the rest : dvd playing, divx, net surfing etc, it's more than an average card.

Your needs may be surfing only, but most likely this laptop will be such a dog to bootup after some times that you will regret ever buying it... !

Edit : Was typing while Reimar posted, i didn't intend to double post the same thing (or close to it anyway)

My P4 3.0 ghz went bad. The shop told me they didn't have a replacement and didn't know if they could find one. I asked if they had anything that would fit and they had a 2.66 Celeron. That's what I'm using now and I CAN'T tell any difference.

Celerons Vs Cores: It (like every other spec) depends on how you use your computer. I had the exact same P4 die on me, and could only change to a Celeron (no Pentiums for the socket in stock, and those that were in stock were too expensive). I couldn't use it as my main computer any more, since although it worked, it was way too slow. I do a lot of multimedia, multitasking, and gaming, and the celeron was a dog. A very sick dog.

Same thing goes for my laptops. I (or rather my family) own many, many laptops, from Semprons to Pentium M's to Core 2's. The Semprons are more than good enough for office work (and that's what we use them for), but when I'm editing high-def video, I wouldn't be caught using one. It would take days to render a few minutes of footage.

A reminder: The amount of memory in a graphic card (notebook or otherwise) has much, much less effect on the performance than the model of the graphics chip. Note that you can have a lousy on-board chip that can "increase" it's memory to 200+ megabytes, and a dedicated GPU like the ATI which could have perhaps only 128MB. The ATI would be better, much, much, much better. Therefore, don't look at the amount of graphics memory as a deciding factor. I say this because it's in the psyche of most that more graphics memory=definitely better, no matter what.

The system memory, OTOH, does matter a lot, but is easily and cheaply upgradeable. 1GB costs only around 1k baht, and is worth every satang.

The spec seems to be ok. But I wouldn't use Vista on this Laptop but XP will works fine, even with 512 MB Memory. But to add 1 more 512 or even 1 GB Memory will speed up XP quite a bit.

Instead of any Windows you could use Linux like Ubuntu, which is very easy to install and to use. I don't suggest PCLinuxOS from very bad experiences within the last few days because it's a lot problems with to get the media to work and difficult for an Nivice to setup to the requirements. Ubuntu works like Plug'n Play!

The GMA x3100 is the Graphic Card and the the up to 224 MB is additional memory the Card use from system memory if need for some programs.

1 MB L2 is the Cache Memory of the CPU and means than the computer work faster je more L2 Cache Memory is available.

FSB means Front Side Bus and is the effective Clockspeed the CPU can work with on this MB.

I am going to have to re download the Ubuntu because it never worked well for me, might be a media problem, but I was blamming hardware.  I like seeing them all and tring new stuff. I am loven the PClinuxOS I am no expert but have it singing.  

Others in linux section had no trouble firing it up, but found other issue like 

software they

needed. Oh well.  If you rec. Ubuntu I am going to give it another look sounds v

ary main stream for Linux

Ok thanks for the input. Ended up getting a Compaq with almost the exact same specs and got and extra gig of ram so 1.5 in total, had to pay em 500 baht for them to install a COPIED version of XP pro but all in all Im very happy.....just so you guys know up until now Ive been using a desktop with pentium 4 1.8 ghz, 1.5 ram (266 speed) and 40 gig hard drive so Im pretty easy to please :o

Ok guy's I'm gonna bow to your wisdom here and ask what you think of this spec. My missues is getting a new laptop and we have kinda chosen this one, but after reading your posts, sound like it's gonna "run like a dog" so what do you think and do you have any better recommendations before we splash the cash....

HP Pavilion dv2626TX

Intel Centrino Duo mobile - Intel core 2 Duo processor T7500 (2.2GHz, 800MHz,FSB, 4MB L2)

Vista home

250GB HD 5400rpm (Serial ATA)

2048MB DDR2 667 (1024MB*2DIMM)

NAVIDA NB8M-GS with 64MB dedicated upto 256MB

DVD supermulti with lightscribe

14" WXGA high-def lcd

Altec Lancing branded speakers

plus all the usual wi-fi, bluetooth etc.

42k @ pantip

won't be used for anything too taxing photo editing possibility and a few games may be but nothing like Gears of war etc.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Edited by miniwai

miniwai, those are pretty good specs. It's got the latest generation CPU (the Core 2 duo), the latest chipset (the 965), and enough RAM. The only stumbling point is the graphics, which is the NB8M-GS, which is the 8400M GS, which is at the lower end of the scale (the 8800 is at the higher end, while the 8600 is middling). Better than an on-board (like the intel 3100), but not that much, and not good enough for a lot of games. However, if you don't plan on using it for games, then it's good.

I can't help but think that I got a Benq with better specs for less about half a year ago. Of course it didn't come with Vista (no OS), but I wouldn't install Vista Home anyways.

Remember that if you're going to be lugging the thing around for a lot, a big consideration is the weight. Most 14" notebooks weigh around 2.1-2.5 KG, which is actually a bit much. Lower down the scale are 13" notebooks, which weigh at 1.6-1.9KG. Even lower are 12" notebooks, but these tend to not come with an optical drive, and have tiny keyboards (and cost quite a bit, too... more for less, no?). After a lot of experience with lugging around notebooks, the only one I'd seriously do constant travel with are 13" notebooks.

Edited by Firefoxx

Thanks Firefoxx, It's funny you mention the size/weight as we were looking at the 12" models from Acer (Travelmate 6292-301G16Mn) and the Compaq (Presario B1233TU) because the misses wants one that "will fit in my handbag" but when she was testing these two out I had to point out that here nose was only 3 inch away from the screen! She really was struggling to see it comfortably.

I haven't seen any 13" though could you recommend any?

Another thing to point out is I'm treating myself to a new Imac for crimbo so the laptop we plump for will actually be the main/only PC in the house, and the fact that it won't actually venture out of the house that much kinda swayed me to the HP above.

What was the Benq you got? Are you happy with it? Also haven't used Vista yet so unsure about which os to get? Any tips?

Anyone else with a good recommendation for a laptop? Don't wanna go fully Mac so that rules the Macbook out. Looking around spending 45k.

Thanks

Hello :o

I am using a machine here at my office which has a Celeron in it and i can't complain.

HOWEVER in my own computers you will NEVER find ANY "Intel" CPU. I'm AMD all the way, and my boyfriend also got a laptop branded "Acer" with a nice AMD "Turion 64" in it, it does boot slow but WORKS fast (and my colleagues brand-new Intel Core2Duo-powered "Acer" laptop starts just as slow, his explanation "Acer's are always so slow").

You aren't serious to recommend some sort of LINUX to someone who doesn't know what "1 MB Cache" means??? I have used Ubuntu myself and i'm pretty computer-savvy - changing the MONITOR screwed the Ubuntu beyond repair for me!! It's like recommending a Ferrari F50 to an absolute beginner who got his driving license yesterday.

To the OP: Go to Panthip and get a GENUINE Windows XP "Home OEM", they cost little over 3.000 Baht, are perfectly legit and you will have no problems, ever. It's true that with a knockoff version you will sooner or later have problems as updates won't work (or you won't get nice things in first place, such as latest Windows Media Player or Internet Explorer versions). There are ways to get them but they are not to be discussed here - and are again "Ferrari F50 for beginner".

Best regards......

Thanh

Yes, I've used 12" notebooks, and while they're light and ultra portable (and neat), they are not very practical for everyday work. I think that the 13" are a good compromise between the big/heavy 14" and the too-small 12". However, not all brands have 13" notebooks, and the brands that do have a lot are the Japanese ($$$$$) ones, like Fujitsu, Sony, etc. Also, the smaller notebooks will generally not have good specs, and rarely have anything more than onboard graphics.

The Benq I got had similar specs, but a bit higher, and had a better graphics core. Forget which model. Was very stylish.