Travel To Chumphon Buri

mattydee

In March next year I am looking at travelling to Chumphon Buri from Bangkok. This will be my first time venturing into Isaan and am really looking forward to it. I am just wondering if anyone can help me with my options for travelling there.

I am thinking of flying to Buriram with PB Air but after that I am a bit stuck. How would I go getting from Buriram airport to Chumphon Buri. Can you hire drivers at the airport that would take me there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In March next year I am looking at travelling to Chumphon Buri from Bangkok. This will be my first time venturing into Isaan and am really looking forward to it. I am just wondering if anyone can help me with my options for travelling there.

I am thinking of flying to Buriram with PB Air but after that I am a bit stuck. How would I go getting from Buriram airport to Chumphon Buri. Can you hire drivers at the airport that would take me there?

Hi Mattydee

Taxis are available at Buriram airport about 30km to Chumphonburi so should only be a couple of hundred baht.

Where are you staying in Chumphonburi I can make some recommendations if you want?

What part of the World do you come from?

TBWG :o

[/quDepending on what day of arrival in BKK (PBAir flies only on Wed.Fri.Sun. at 15.50 from BKK) flying to Burriram airport would be the best option. Burriram Airport is in Satuk and only about 20 km from Chumphonburi. Taking a train to Surin like myfriend1 suggested is about the worst option I think. You would have to find your way from Suwannaphumi Airport to Hualompong Railway Station first and after about 7 hours in the train to Surin you would face a taxi drive of about 100 km to Chumphonburi. If for whatever reason you would take a train. Take the train to Buriram. It would be the same hassle to Hualompong, but at least the taxiride from Buriram to Chumphonburi is half as long as from Surin.

If you fly to Buriram normally there will be no taxis waiting, because most people arriving usually have their own transportation arranged. But there is a simple solution to this problem. You could call me from BKK on your day of arrival to confirm you will be on that flight and I will take care that there will be a taxi witing for you. Even better when you are booked up to BKK arriving on a Wed.Fri or SUN you can PM or email me and I will make a reservation for you.

We live in Chumphonburi and it is really no problem to make a suitable arrangement for you. We likepeople to come and enjoy our area in a comfortable way like we do ourselves.

Cheers

Arthur & Meuanfun

Thanks for the replies guys, this is my first post on Thai Visa and I really appreciate the help.

TBWG - Yes recommendations of places to stay would be excellent. I am an Aussie currently living in Darwin.

Gondarman - That would be really great if you could do that for me. It will be my first time in Isaan and I can't wait to experience it. I have only previously been to BKK, Phuket and Pattaya so I am looking forward to seeing something different.

Thanks for the replies guys, this is my first post on Thai Visa and I really appreciate the help.

TBWG - Yes recommendations of places to stay would be excellent. I am an Aussie currently living in Darwin.

Gondarman - That would be really great if you could do that for me. It will be my first time in Isaan and I can't wait to experience it. I have only previously been to BKK, Phuket and Pattaya so I am looking forward to seeing something different.

Welcome mattydee from another (ex) Darwinian. i live in Buri Ram and you have made a good choice to come and check us out. Do have any connections in Isaan. I know there are lots of Thais in Darwin.

i used to live in Giles street in Fannie bay and worked all over the Territory including 3 years at Tindal and a couple of years at Ayers rock.

We used to always go to the Saturday morning market to get our weekly top up of Thai food.

Anyway welcome again mate. :o

Hi matty

Well you can't do any better than staying at Baan Meuanfun. Which just happens to be owned and run by Arthur (Gondarman) & his wife.

Great place, european standards plus a nice swimming pool but Thai prices! You won't do better, you can contact him via this TV site or email [email protected]

Any problems with transport from airport just let me know your PB flight and I will meet you and take you to Chumphonburi.

TBWG :o

Photos from the Lodging taken on Saturday November 17th Check with Arthur on a motorbike rental suggestion. Seems like a nice quiet town with a Lake in the center of town. Enjoyed a fine Lunch on Saturday with TBWG and his charming wife and Arthur and his very ambitious and hardworking wife. I also looked at a fantastic boat built by Arthur. The signs to his place are in ENGLISH and THAI. The rooms were all suitable and in a QUIET area void of loud livestock!!

Thanks Bicko

I am originally from Darwin but left in 94 and only visited a few times until I moved back here in May this year.

It is good to be back. I love the territory life style.

A thai girl that I have been visiting in thailand for the last 2 and a bit years lives in a village near Chumphonburi. That is my only real connection to Isaan. She would normally meet me in Phuket which is where I have quite a few aussie expat mates. For something different and because she has asked me I am going to go and visit her village for a couple of days and then we are going to travel around a bit. I would like to see Buriram and Surin as well.

Yes I have met many Thais in Darwin there is a large Thai community.

The Saturday markets at Parap are very good. I visit them often.

Thanks TBWG

I will check out Baan Meuanfun, sounds great. I was looking at your write up on the dragon boat race and saw that you mentioned Meuanfun resort. After seeing Arthur's wifes name I thought it must have been their place.

Thanks to all you guys, the responses have been very helpfull and I would love to catch up with you all for a beer when I get there in March. You guys have made me feel very welcome to the Thai Visa site and the Chumphonburi area.

Edited by mattydee

Thanks Kamalabob2

Nice photos, I will most probably spend a couple of days at Baan Meuanfun if they have vacancies.

Still yet to determine the exact dates. Sometime in March but due to work still too far to determine when.

Are you a Phuket local?

Another quick one.

Does anybody know where Nanongphai is? It is a sub-district (I think) of Chumphonburi.

I have been trying to find a map that has Nanongphai on it but no luck.

Hi Matty

yes you are right, Tambon Nanongphai is a subdistrict of Chumphonburi. The capital town of the Tambon also called Nanongphai is situated about 10 km west out of Chumphonburi along the 2081. This is the road from Chumphonburi to Tatoom. You mentioned, that you were going to the village Ban Tipnaud. That is indeed a village belonging to Tambon Nanongphai. It is on the Northside of the district. You can get there from the mainroad to Nanongphai, but from there it is a dirt road leading to the village. When I drive there myself I know how to go there, but I can not explain where it is. A shorter and easier way to get there, which can also explain is: When You drive from Satuk to Chumphonburi first on the 219, then turn right to Chumphonburi at Thang Phat junction onto the 2081. About 3 km before Chumphonburi at the village Ban Yang Chum, turn left (follow the sign Meuanfun Resort 3km) If you follow that road after 3 km you will find our resort and further the 5th village you pass is Tipnaud. It is about 8 km from our place. This is all hard road and not too many potholes in it.

You have to know this is really rural Thailand. Small ricefarmers villages scattered around. You see nothing but rice paddies, waterbuffalos and cows. At the time you are planning to come, at the end of the dry season, the rice paddies will be dry and farmers waiting for little rain to come so they can start seeding the rice. The area will not be at its nicest like in July/August when you the beatiful green rice growing on the land.

Apart from the Bigger cities in the area, like Surin and Buriram, there is not much nightlife or so. In the daytime you can make some excursions to few things worth to go and see, like the Elephant Research Center and Phanom Rung (A temple ruin of the same era as Ankhor Wat in Cambodja, but smaller) But I am sure you will have a hard time to make time for things like that, while you will only be here a couple of days and I know how in such cases the gf family will take up your time.

Like I said, not much entertainment around here, so if one lives here like myself, you have to occupy yourself, before you land up drinking your life away, like some of the Thais themselves.

I am Dutch, 53 years old, retired banker and have been living here more or less permanent for almost 5 years now. My wife runs a nice comfortable resort. (I do the maintenance and serve hamburgers now and again :o ) I have a nice big workshop right next to my house where I build an occasional boat (busy now with a 40 person dragon boat for racing next year) and right now I am also building a kitcar. So enough to keep me out of the bar and away from the girls.

Hope to see you soon

Cheers

Arthur

Another quick one.

Does anybody know where Nanongphai is? It is a sub-district (I think) of Chumphonburi.

I have been trying to find a map that has Nanongphai on it but no luck.

Hi Matty

yes you are right, Tambon Nanongphai is a subdistrict of Chumphonburi. The capital town of the Tambon also called Nanongphai is situated about 10 km west out of Chumphonburi along the 2081. This is the road from Chumphonburi to Tatoom. You mentioned, that you were going to the village Ban Tipnaud. That is indeed a village belonging to Tambon Nanongphai. It is on the Northside of the district. You can get there from the mainroad to Nanongphai, but from there it is a dirt road leading to the village. When I drive there myself I know how to go there, but I can not explain where it is. A shorter and easier way to get there, which can also explain is: When You drive from Satuk to Chumphonburi first on the 219, then turn right to Chumphonburi at Thang Phat junction onto the 2081. About 3 km before Chumphonburi at the village Ban Yang Chum, turn left (follow the sign Meuanfun Resort 3km) If you follow that road after 3 km you will find our resort and further the 5th village you pass is Tipnaud. It is about 8 km from our place. This is all hard road and not too many potholes in it.

You have to know this is really rural Thailand. Small ricefarmers villages scattered around. You see nothing but rice paddies, waterbuffalos and cows. At the time you are planning to come, at the end of the dry season, the rice paddies will be dry and farmers waiting for little rain to come so they can start seeding the rice. The area will not be at its nicest like in July/August when you the beatiful green rice growing on the land.

Apart from the Bigger cities in the area, like Surin and Buriram, there is not much nightlife or so. In the daytime you can make some excursions to few things worth to go and see, like the Elephant Research Center and Phanom Rung (A temple ruin of the same era as Ankhor Wat in Cambodja, but smaller) But I am sure you will have a hard time to make time for things like that, while you will only be here a couple of days and I know how in such cases the gf family will take up your time.

Like I said, not much entertainment around here, so if one lives here like myself, you have to occupy yourself, before you land up drinking your life away, like some of the Thais themselves.

I am Dutch, 53 years old, retired banker and have been living here more or less permanent for almost 5 years now. My wife runs a nice comfortable resort. (I do the maintenance and serve hamburgers now and again :o ) I have a nice big workshop right next to my house where I build an occasional boat (busy now with a 40 person dragon boat for racing next year) and right now I am also building a kitcar. So enough to keep me out of the bar and away from the girls.

Hope to see you soon

Cheers

Arthur

Reading my last reply back after it was posted, I thought it sounded a bit negative about the Isaan and you might wonder why I am here in the first place. Well this is a complete different Thailand from what you have seen so far. The most important virtue I forgot to mention is, that you will meet the most friendly and hospitable of Thai people in Isaan. Complete different from the friendly but "business" attitude you will face in places like Pattaya, Phuket, BKK etc. The welcome expats get here is genuine and void of the hectic approach of before mentioned places.

That is why I like to live here so much and why I would never stay in Pattaya, Phuket or BKK. Meuanfun and I sometimes have to go to BKK for business or we go to Pattaya to see some friends and be out for a couple of days, but after 3 or 4 days we rush home again to enjoy the peace and quiet of our home area again.

Cheers

Arthur

Arthur

Thanks for the info. I have some idea of where it is now.

Only about 8km from your place sounds great.

I will let you know the dates as soon as I sought them out and hopefully you will have a vacancy for me. I will definately stay there if you have room.

Thanks again.

Matty

Hi Arthur at Baan Meuanfun,

I saw the pictures from youre house and like the parking lot with stones.

Where did you buy the stones? Do you mind telling the price/m2?

I will start make something similar when I come to Thailand in 2 weeks,

and be glad if you have some suggestions where to buy.

We have a house in Ban Chat, just 20 kilometer from youre house,

so it would be nice to come and take a look.

regards,

Erkki

Hi Arthur at Baan Meuanfun,

I saw the pictures from youre house and like the parking lot with stones.

Where did you buy the stones? Do you mind telling the price/m2?

I will start make something similar when I come to Thailand in 2 weeks,

and be glad if you have some suggestions where to buy.

We have a house in Ban Chat, just 20 kilometer from youre house,

so it would be nice to come and take a look.

regards,

Erkki

If you would like a similar pavement, you can buy the stones in Pak Chong, between Saraburi and Korat. Along the highway number 2 there are alot of businesses selling these and other stones. You buy them by the ton. I don't know the price anymore because it has been about 10 years since we laid them. You will have to find local people yourself to have them laid. You are always welcome to come and take a look. I can also give you some advice, so you don't have to make the mistakes in laying the stones like I did.

Cheers

Arthur