Whatever Happened To The All Around Motorcyle?

jackcorbett

How about the Honda CB 400 Super Four? Seems like it would match the OP's desires. They were still making them as of 2006, and you see lots of the older ones in Chiang Mai. As for me, when I grow out of my CBR150, I'd love to have a CBF250. Check this link for pics & specs. http://www.bikez.com/pictures/browse.php?b...96&pageno=2

Beat me to it..

I used a buddys for many months while he was out of the country.. Comfortable, easily fast enough for Thailand, not hellish on service costs, ready parts available. I am a big fella at over 6'3" and >110 KG's and even so didnt feel this was too small.

Using that for many months encouraged me to buy a CBR400 baby blade when I gave it back.. In truth while I enjoyed howling that lovely little 400 screamer engine around, the bike was so much less comfortable, the weight was so often hard on my hands (not just breaking, I was a bit to large framed for the seating position so pitched forward, also knees stuck out around the fairing instead of fitting in / with it) that it was less of a bike for me.

I have just moved a couple of clicks out of town and am thinking of hunting down another one. Great all rounders.

Yes, I saw that Scrambler at the dealership here, on Friday. What amazed me is that the side pipes reminded me of the ones I already mentioned, on my Triumph/BSA street scrambler that was a 250.

What set me off the trail to buying a Triumph is the price. 670K baht for the Tiger 1050, double what it costs in its "home country" of the UK. Maybe the Bonneville twins were closer to 500K, but in American dollars, that's $14,800 when my last Motorcyclist magazine in 2005 showed prices around US$8,000. Even if the baht or sterling exchange ratio has bumped that up to 10K dollars, that's too rich for my blood, for a plaything.

Let's see, the Tiger costs as much as ten CBR150's....no thanks. You might want to consider a Triumph in place of a BMW or a new Ducati, though.