Going Angkor Wat

Dirk_brijs

hi Dirk (Dutch?)

a bid hard to understand. I think, you stay in Pattaya and want to visit Angkor Wat - right?

easiest way to go there is - by plane via Bangkok. If you would like to see the capital - Phnom Phen, you can you there (cheapest airline is Airasia) and take a bus to Siam Reap (town, where Angkor Wat is). The road Phnom Phen to Siam Reap is OK, it´s about 4 hours to go. The temple complex in Siam Reap is really a big one. May be about a square with sides as far as 18 km- have a look at google-earth. You will need 3 days to see all the temples. But up to you ! You don't have to to it, and do it in one day (without seeing everything). At least you need to stay 2 nights. Better stay longer. Its really hard to do: You will walk many kilometres in the humid air of the tschungel.

More questions ?

I'm sure there are many people that run minibus tours to AW, either direct to Siam Reap or via a change of buses at the border crossing, however please consider if you really enjoy sitting in a mini bus for X hours watching similar countryside whizz by. Taking a flight from BKK direct to Siam Reap is a better option and not expensive. There is a visa "fee" on arrival (a few years since I was last there so check the details are up to date), this is payable in Thai Baht or US Dollars, USD is quite cheap now.

Getting around is cheap, taxis from the airport to the town take about 20 minutes or so, if you are taking a short trip get your air ticket reconfirmed at the airline office a few minutes from the airport as you are passing in your taxi (neat trick to save hassle later).

Hotels in Siam Reap are great, your choice on price.

I'm pressed for time now, but to do the AW place properly you need a few days AND it is worth getting up early to to the sunrise and sunset events at AW itself.

Take flat shoes / walking boots AND a torch.

....questions ?