Foreigner Killed In 9-vehicle Pileup

Jai Dee

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Police would summon the bus operator for help in catching his driver, who fled the scene."

What a f#cking surprise...

If "Fleeing" ever becomes an Olympic Event, Thailand will be assured another Gold. :o

Does anyone know the fellow was crushed by the bus? I feel bad for his relatives and the female with him.

Mike & Annie were close friends of mine and this has upset met. He had finished building a new house in Sattahip last year and was looking forward to his retirement with his wife Annie. I have only just found out about this a friend in Thailand called me last night in Cambodia to let me know of the tragerty. Why is it the good guys that must die like this. God Bless Mike and may you Rest In Peace.

Tony :o

Mike & Annie were close friends of mine and this has upset met. He had finished building a new house in Sattahip last year and was looking forward to his retirement with his wife Annie. I have only just found out about this a friend in Thailand called me last night in Cambodia to let me know of the tragerty. Why is it the good guys that must die like this. God Bless Mike and may you Rest In Peace.

Tony :o

Mike was well know in the Pattaya area as " Chicago Mike"

Condolences to all families.

WHEN, OH WHEN, OH WHEN will these people ever learn to drive!

I bet your glad they don't have vehicle accidents in the country where you come from.

UK

UK: population c 60 million

Thailand: population c 60 million

Quote:The United Kingdom has a very good record for road safety compared with most other EU countries. In 2004 it had one of the lowest road death rates in the EU, at 5.6 per 100,000 population.

Quote: For the past 5 years, 2002-2006, some 66,300 people died in road traffic accidents in Thailand or an average of 13,260 deaths per annum. Some 5.0 million people were injured, some of them severely.

PS I don't have a glad to bet with, nor does my wife. It's not her glad. Perhaps it's not my glad but your glad? :o

Edited by Big A

Prior to placing the blame on "these" people, it would be nice to hear what happened

Now what other possible scenario can you imagine other than "these people" causing the accident. Like it or not stupid drivers and the accidents that follow is part of thai culture

UK

Quote:The United Kingdom has a very good record for road safety compared with most other EU countries. In 2004 it had one of the lowest road death rates in the EU, at 5.6 per 100,000 population.

Quote: For the past 5 years, 2002-2006, some 66,300 people died in road traffic accidents in Thailand or an average of 13,260 deaths per annum. Some 5.0 million people were injured, some of them severely.

PS I don't have a glad to bet with, nor does my wife. It's not her glad. Perhaps it's not my glad but your glad? :D

UK=5.6 per 100,000 @ 60,000,000= 3,360 per annum

Thailand=13,260

Or

UK=5.6 per 100,000 population

Thailand=22.1 per 100,000 population

(just to compare apples with apples).

PS I don't have a glad to bet with, nor does my wife. It's not her glad. Perhaps it's not my glad but your glad? :D

huh? :o

Verbs and adjectives were never my strongpoint either :D

Condolences to those involved.

Edited by ThaiAdventure

I have a friend who just built a house on the dark side of Sukhumvit near Satahip. We were coming back to Jomtien from his house. A southbound bus was speeding along when the light turned red. A cop at the intersection was looking at his ticket pad and was crossing the road. The bus blared his horn and the cop managed to get out of the way. After the bus passed the cop continued across the road. He didn't seem to care that the bus ran straight through the red light.

UK

PS I don't have a glad to bet with, nor does my wife. It's not her glad. Perhaps it's not my glad but your glad? :o

Thailand=13,260

Or

d.

And I think these Thai numbers are way too low.

76 provinces, I give each province a death per day and that is a minimum.

More like at least 30 000 a year.

Crazy stunts here happen around you in a matter of every few minutes, not hours, days or even weeks as I am used to. The pattern of deaths surely follows that curve.

Edited by Tony Clifton

The roads seem really busy this Loy Kratong night. Papers will probably have lots of news on this subject tomorrow.

Lot of drinking going on and idiotic behavior. Some areas near festivities are bad, but I made it down to Sukhumvit from Pathum Thani in 30 minutes at 6PM, and came back in the same time at 10PM. Little traffic on the tollway, and sukhumvit to witayu was moving nicely. Small miracle.

Tony :D

Mike was well know in the Pattaya area as " Chicago Mike"

Hello Tony,

I was also a friend of "Chicago" Mike. After knowing him for the past 25 years, I was so happy when he and Annie came to get married in California and I was there to witness their love. We are all devastated here and hope to hear back soon as to how Annie is doing. Mike was definately one of the good guys as you pointed out and will be greatly missed by all who knew him. :o

The photos in the link listed previously was all I needed to see to know how horrible the accident was.

Mike Fearon shall forever remain in our hearts,

JDay and friends in California

UK

Thailand=13,260

Or

d.

Crazy stunts here happen around you in a matter of every few minutes, not hours, days or even weeks as I am used to. The pattern of deaths surely follows that curve.

I agree, Tony, but we'll probably be bombarded by the 'If you don't like it.....'brigade!! and 'I suppose there are no accidents in your country' lot.

Agreed.

More like this me thinks:

In 2005 the road fatality rate were 20.6/105 population and 5.09/104 vehicles.

According to Thailand's crash records, the main features of the country's road crash and injury problem are:

• The working adult age group (25-59 years) represents the majority of those dying in road crashes (over 50%) followed by young people aged 15-24 years who account for 29% of the total fatalities.
  • Many deaths occur during 2 holiday periods, New Year and Songkran.
  • 45% of deaths in 2004 occurred on the national highways, half of them involving motorcycles
  • 44% of the total number of road crash injuries in Thailand occur in Bangkok compared with only 6% of the country's fatalities
  • In average less than 17% of all injured used seat belts and less than 15% used crash helmets. Numbers are higher in Bangkok where enforcement is stricter
  • Of all injured: 75% are male
  • The Police identified excessive speed as the most common cause of crashes followed by unsafe passing and illegal overtaking
  • In Khon Kaen Province (Northern Thailand), 81 % of total injured patients admitted to hospitals in 2002 were motorcycle injury victims. It is believed that this is likely to reflect the situation in other provinces too
  • Hospital data indicates that over half of injured drivers and riders had been drinking alcohol

While the actual statistics should be treated with some caution due to possible under-reporting, analyses indicate the primary causes of road crashes: excessive speed involving mixed traffic (also vulnerable road users), drinking and driving, dangerous overtaking and the poor use of helmets.

Original Reference

Although that would mean that there are about 12,000,000 fatalities a year :o

I think they left some zeero's off :D

Edited by ThaiAdventure

Agreed.

More like this me thinks:

In 2005 the road fatality rate were 20.6/105 population and 5.09/104 vehicles.

According to Thailand's crash records, the main features of the country's road crash and injury problem are:

• The working adult age group (25-59 years) represents the majority of those dying in road crashes (over 50%) followed by young people aged 15-24 years who account for 29% of the total fatalities.
  • Many deaths occur during 2 holiday periods, New Year and Songkran.
  • 45% of deaths in 2004 occurred on the national highways, half of them involving motorcycles
  • 44% of the total number of road crash injuries in Thailand occur in Bangkok compared with only 6% of the country's fatalities
  • In average less than 17% of all injured used seat belts and less than 15% used crash helmets. Numbers are higher in Bangkok where enforcement is stricter
  • Of all injured: 75% are male
  • The Police identified excessive speed as the most common cause of crashes followed by unsafe passing and illegal overtaking
  • In Khon Kaen Province (Northern Thailand), 81 % of total injured patients admitted to hospitals in 2002 were motorcycle injury victims. It is believed that this is likely to reflect the situation in other provinces too
  • Hospital data indicates that over half of injured drivers and riders had been drinking alcohol

While the actual statistics should be treated with some caution due to possible under-reporting, analyses indicate the primary causes of road crashes: excessive speed involving mixed traffic (also vulnerable road users), drinking and driving, dangerous overtaking and the poor use of helmets.

Original Reference

Although that would mean that there are about 12,000,000 fatalities a year :o

I think they left some zeero's off :D

120,000 is possible.

in 9 years driving nearly every day in and around Chiang Rai, I've never seen a traffic stop for going thru red lights (happens 1000's of times a day) or for speeding, or for otherwise driving recklessly. No surprise to anyone familiar with Thailand, these things happen every second of every day.

one particularly galling thing for me, is the local's propensity for always cutting corners - blind or otherwise. It's as though the concept of the arc never arrived in Asia. It's not sometimes or most of the time, it's every time.

the only traffic stops are for motorbikers - to check ID or helmets - and those are nearly always for pretty college girls.

in 9 years driving nearly every day in and around Chiang Rai, I've never seen a traffic stop for going thru red lights (happens 1000's of times a day) or for speeding, or for otherwise driving recklessly. No surprise to anyone familiar with Thailand, these things happen every second of every day.

one particularly galling thing for me, is the local's propensity for always cutting corners - blind or otherwise. It's as though the concept of the arc never arrived in Asia. It's not sometimes or most of the time, it's every time.

the only traffic stops are for motorbikers - to check ID or helmets - and those are nearly always for pretty college girls.

I get it all the time in the moo ban here. Often the same face I've encountered at the same corner some time ago. People of all ages do it, the older ones can't blame it on inexperience, I say it's stupidity, plain and simple. One guy even looked at me as if I was on the wrong side. :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

Prior to placing the blame on "these" people, it would be nice to hear what happened

In the meantime, my condolences to the family of the deceased and any others injured in the accident.

Condolences of course.

However, if there is a multi-vehicle pile-up there must be several drivers at fault, whatever the details or circumstances.

Tony's comment about the police force is reasonable - it is my experience / impression that a substantial percentage of drivers have no licence, have never had driving lessons, or have never passed a driving test.

This situation cannot be controlled until corruption is controlled.

Hello everyone:

The American man tragically killed in this accident is my Uncle Mike. He was a good person with a great smile. He will be missed by 6 brothers and sisters, 32+ nieces and nephews and many friends all over the world. Please pray for his wife, she really needs it. Thank you for your condolences.

Uncle Mike, I miss you.

Suzy

In the meantime, my condolences to the family of the deceased and any others injured in the accident.

Condolences of course.

However, if there is a multi-vehicle pile-up there must be several drivers at fault, whatever the details or circumstances.

Tony's comment about the police force is reasonable - it is my experience / impression that a substantial percentage of drivers have no licence, have never had driving lessons, or have never passed a driving test.

Hello everyone:

The American man tragically killed in this accident is my Uncle Mike. He was a good person with a great smile. He will be missed by 6 brothers and sisters, 32+ nieces and nephews and many friends all over the world. Please pray for his wife, she really needs it. Thank you for your condolences.

Uncle Mike, I miss you.

Suzy

Suzy,

We live in the Sattahip, if there is anything we can do please PM me.

Scott

Condolences of course.

Hello everyone:

Uncle Mike, I miss you.

Suzy

Yes Suzy,

Your Uncle Mike was a wonderful man and he will always be held dear to our hearts in California. I was lucky enough to be with him when he said "I do!" with Annie. I will never forget his huge, bright smile and the warmth he gave to me and my family through the years.

We send our best to you and the family while prayers continue for Annie.

Much love,

Julie

Condolences of course.

Hello everyone:

Uncle Mike, I miss you.

Suzy

Yes Suzy,

Your Uncle Mike was a wonderful man and he will always be held dear to our hearts in California. I was lucky enough to be with him when he said "I do!" with Annie. I will never forget his huge, bright smile and the warmth he gave to me and my family through the years.

We send our best to you and the family while prayers continue for Annie.

Much love,

Julie

Hi Suzy,

Yes Mike was one of the GOOD GUYS. He would always come around for a coffee and chat & tell me all about his wonderful Nephews & Nieces he was so very proud of all of you. I have never had the pleasure of meeting any of you but Mike was a good judge of character.

I received a call telling me that Annie had been transfered out of BKK/ Pattaya Hospital because she had no insurance. BKK/ Pattaya are just a group of money grabbing Bas-ards, plenty of threads on TV over the years talking about this hospital. I dont know which hospital she was transfered to but she is in a critical condition

Please pass on my condolences to Mike's Family this is a tragic loss for humanity.

Best wishes Tony.

Thank you to all of you for your condolences. I will pass them on to our family here in Chicago. There is a memorial service for my uncle on December 8th. Please say a pray for him and for Anee.

Edited by aers

Condolences of course.

Hello everyone:

Uncle Mike, I miss you.

Suzy

Hi , Suzy, this is irishtony in san francisco. I need to get in touch with you and anyone else who knew Mike . I have know Chicago Mike for 25 years and I publish The Marina Dock newsletter here in SF. Mike was a staunch and ardent supporter of our recovery club for many years. [email protected]

Condolences of course.

Hello everyone:

Uncle Mike, I miss you.

Suzy

Hi suzy, I was a very close friend of of your uncle mikes, my name is Irishtony, I live in san francisco. I have known Chicag Mike for 25 years please contact me as I need some information of services etc for mike. [email protected] Anyone else with information please do same

Edited by irishtonymurray

The photos in the link listed previously was all I needed to see to know how horrible the accident was.

The photos might contain too much since in #4 a dead person is hanging out of the crushed car, in the front seat.

Took a while before I saw it though.

The photos might contain too much since in #4 a dead person is hanging out of the crushed car, in the front seat.

Took a while before I saw it though.

It took me about ONE second... That is exactly what I was referring to about the photos.