Begging Buddhist Monks

Haydn

There was a monk in grey attire (Korean?) begging in JJ Market Saturday. He was very surprised I brushed him off.

Then on Sunday i say monks counting a whole wad of bills in wat Mahatat , i was quite surprised by this as I thought they wdnt touch money.

• 3 weeks later...
It is not against the monastic code or any precept to smoke, although some abbots (such as Ajahn Chah) may forbid it.

After he quit of course :o

I have a lot of time for forest monks and enjoyed a visit to Wat Pah Nanachat

But as has been noted throughout this thread monks come in all shapes, sizes, commitments and validities.

There is also the aspect that whilst Western monks are usually following a vocation, some Thai monks are following an 'easy' alternative to hard manual labour or starvation. Some are also relieving a burden on a struggling family. It is fortunate indeed if these monks manage to gain the added benefits of following the path.

I am just wondering what I would do given some of the circumstances quoted above.

After thought:

Regarding money; I cannot imagine a temple without its devoted lay supporters - especially the old ladies. These people donate money on a regular basis - sometimes to the detriment of their own families. The monks of these temples are fully cared for and do NOT need money, and should not ask for it.

Monks on genuine Tudong however can sometimes need assistance, if tired or sick or hungry I believe it is a good thing to help in any way possible by offering food, shelter or a small amount of money as a bus fare to the nearest Wat.

Edited by Donleavy

I just stumbled onto this thread and thought I would add a few lines.

Monks come in a selection of flavours or do I mean durations, the average Somchai can (I believe) spend some time living as a monk as part of his own journey in life. Many do so while they are young but I understand if you have the time you can live as a monk for some weeks/months as an adult. So while a person is doing this they probably do need to visit the ATM to pay their rent, electric or phone bill etc. Or draw money for whatever reason. Monks do not live stone age lives, last year during a vist to our up-country house I was asked to take a look at a wiring problem inside the monk's Wat living quarters, although it was basic and the structure was very old, it was clean and had a few mod-cons.

My OH considered this earnt me merit as Mr Monks fix-it. It was not a big deal took a little while to make a repair and I enjoy going to the Wat for food anyway. ( Just remember to wear a white shirt. )

When we went to Burma a few years ago, we were "asked" for a donation from a couple of young unwashed thugs dressed as novice monks (different colored robes if I remember) their alms bowls only had money (Baht coins and 20s) collected fom those making the crossing on foot at Mai Sai (sp?) like ourselves. In typical Thai fashion OH suggested that Burmese monks were less spirital than Thai monks.

I do remember a case a few years ago where the monks at a particular Wat were split up and some arrested for being the front for a drug dealing ring.

However on the whole they tend to be a straight bunch of people. IMHO.