Proxy To Prevent Language Problem On Windows Live?

Thanh-BKK

Hello :o

I've asked this earlier but never got an answer - when you go to the new Windows Live site and try to sign up, it will redirect to a THAI language site. Even downloading the new Windows Live software packages (messenger, mail, photo gallery etc) always redirects to Thai and if you manage to download the apps, they are all Thai as well.

Now this seems to be due to the fact that M$ detects your IP because it does not matter how it is set in Windows - on my machine everything (language, location, keyboard etc) is set to "United States" and still i get it in Thai only.

Now i tested at my office, using the AOL Desktop software - which makes me appear to be in the U.S. IP-wise and voila - it's in English, everything including the downloads.

Now that software sucks in every other aspect so i do NOT want that anywhere near my own computer, hence my question - does anyone here know a proxy or other measure to "appear to be in the U.S. IP-wise" to get Windows Live in english?

I do NOT want to circumvent any blocked websites or do any illegal activity, it is really only to get stuff in English because that's my language and M$ is stupid enough to assume everyone on a Thai IP MUST be Thai.

With best regards.......

Thanh

I always got mine in english as well, but I had to go to msn and log in into my profile page and set it up that way. Once I did even the ads came from the us rather then Thai.  I don't use it anymore or I would put up the current sign in link. purhaps someone has that handy. edit they use your email address and info in the profile that determines where ads and things come from as well as language. IP address is down the list for them because people travel. Starting out they my assume based on it.

Edited by RKASA

I assume it depends more on your computer's locale rather than your IP. Determining whereabouts through IP can be fallible. Your computer stores a preference for where you are (which country) and a lot of sites use that information to customize ads/webs/etc. If I'm not mistaken, it's in the regional settings.

Yes it drives you insane when it auto sends you to the Thai download page. What I did was go to microsoft.com and type messenger download in the search box. You should find a link there with the option to download with any language you prefer.

Hello :o

I tried every solution found by Google - which is why i posted here. I am opening the following site:

www.windowslive.com

No problem, it's english. Then click "Get Windows Live - FREE" and BOING - all Thai from that point forward.

Tried a gazillion links from Google hits, even links that were supposed to go DIRECTLY to the download page - and ALL of them came up in Thai too.

OS tried - mine own, Vista Ultimate 32bit with IE and Firefox, and Windows XP Pro with IE and Firefox (both OS on the same machine), all locales are set to United States right down to the preferred language for non-Unicode software installations!

On my boyfriend's laptop - XP Pro, tried with Firefox only - same result. THAT machine is set to "Thai" all the way.

At my office - Windows XP Home, tried with Firefox - all Thai (again all locales set to "United States") and AOL - voila, all english! A quick check on www.ip-address.com and see - with Firefox i was in Bangkok while with AOL i was in Boston (at the same time, on the same machine)!

That's why i'm asking for some software which makes me "be in Boston" and that's NOT AOL desktop - because that one sucks big time.

With kind regards......

your Thanh

Hello again :o

I have tried a number of proxy solutions and none of them worked, so finally i installed the AOL <deleted> on my machine - and see, it's working better on mine Vista than under the XP i tried it on before :D Got my English versions now. To get the AOL to work "proxied" you need an AOL e-mail addy which is free.

Best regards.....

Thanh