Translation Lisu (myanmar) Language

tr44

I would like to have a translation from Lisu (Myanmar) hilltribe language into English or Thai language.

Who knows someone who can read this language ?

There are a number of Lisu villages, in fact most, where you can find competent Thai speakers and occasionally an English speaker. I don't know if Asa is still running a guesthouse up at Laota's, but he spoke good English and there are plenty of good Thai speakers at that rather notorious village (although my old acquainatance and village namesake may still be in jail down in Bangkok). Or you could treat Unkovich to dinner at the Kafe and get directions to other Lisu villages where Thai-Lisu speakers should be easy to chance upon. Or just ask around the trek shops as there are Lisu guides here and there.

I would like to have a translation from Lisu (Myanmar) hilltribe language into English or  Thai language.

My experience in Chiang Mai indicated that most Lisor themselves can't read this language, one girl was learning to read English and was "probably better at it than reading my own".

I would like to have a translation from Lisu (Myanmar) hilltribe language into English or  Thai language.

My experience in Chiang Mai indicated that most Lisor themselves can't read this language, one girl was learning to read English and was "probably better at it than reading my own".

Well done Dickie... good point.

Lisu is the correct Anglicisation of the name. Lisor is a Thai put down, much like referring to Akha as Egon.

I suppose it would be like calling an Australian an arsetralian..

Lisu is the correct Anglicisation of the name. Lisor is a Thai put down, much like referring to Akha as Egon.

I suppose it would be like calling an Australian an arsetralian..

I can see how the Thais referring to Karen as "Yang" or referring to the Mong as "Meo" could be seen as a "put down" but how does referring to Lisu as Lisoh anything other than a linguistic variant? Is the difference between Akha and Ekoh also a matter of a put down? In other words, if Lisu is the correct Anglicization of a name, is not Lisoh a correct Thaiiziation of that same name?

Don't get me wrong, most Thais don't need any extra vocabulary to show contempt for their hillside neighbors although they certainly have added words when referring to some of the more numerous minority groups up north.