Improving/improve

Neeranam

I am improving my English by reading books.

My English is improving by reading books.

You can improve your English by reading books.

I'm confused - someone was asking me when to use improve and improving.

Also when to use think and thinking as in , I am thinking of never teaching grammar"

Isn't "think" one of those 'state' verbs or whatever they are called that can't be used with 'ing'?

Cheers

N :o N

I am improving my English by reading books.

My English is improving by reading books.

You can improve your English by reading books.

I'm confused - someone was asking me when to use improve and improving.

Also when to use think and thinking as in , I am thinking of never teaching grammar"

Isn't "think" one of those 'state' verbs or whatever they are called that can't be used with 'ing'?

improve is the simple present tense, and is also used in infinitive phrases such as "I need to improve my English." Both your examples use the present tense progressive (continuous).

The first sentence, with "I" as the subject, tells what "I" is doing at this time.

The second sentence, with "English" as its subject, tells what is improving. "I" is doing different things than what English is doing.

You could also use the passive forms, "I am being improved by reading books in English, or "My English is being improved by reading books."

As I think you know, think is a state verb that does not take a direct object; it's intransitive. I think about something, but I don't think something. However, I think that this sentence here is a sentence in which that this is a sentence is the object of think!

As I think you know, think is a state verb that does not take a direct object; it's intransitive. I think about something, but I don't think something. However, I think that this sentence here is a sentence in which that this is a sentence is the object of think!

I'll think it over and call you in the morning.

I guess in this case as a phrasal verb it could have a direct object, 'it' being the direct object. The meaning is rather colloquial though.

'Think' is one of those odd ones that is a state verb, but can be used with 'ing'. I'm thinking about her now.

Rules? What rules?

Edited by mbkudu

It is right if you have your nose right above the dish and inhaling the aroma. If you are in the living room and the wife is preparing dinner, then no, it's wrong. Should be, 'I smell my dinner now.' Beauty, eh?

Why does the dog keep smelling my ass?

Edited by mbkudu

Think of state verbs with no physical action.

The course texture of the coat feels strange.

The flower smells like a rose.

Think of the same verbs, but used in physical actions.

I am feeling (or feel) the course texture of the coat.

I am smelling (or smell) the flower. I think it's a rose.

When James Brown shouted, "I feel good!" he had studied a bit of grammar. How unfortunate it would have been if he had said something as absurd as 'I am feeling well.'

Edited by mbkudu

According to the above link, it's right. Like saying 'I'm feeling better today.' But dude, if James Brown said 'I'm feeling well!' it would just sound too dam_n white bread honky. Maybe Pat Boone's version of JB's hit?

Look at #5 on the link. a] I am feeling much better today. b] I feel much better today.

I thought b] was the correct answer, but they say a] is correct. I think they are wrong about that. Then you have annoying American speakers who say shit like 'I'm not hearing you.' Or 'Are we understanding each other.' <deleted>.

Edited by mbkudu

According to the above link, it's right. Like saying 'I'm feeling better today.' But dude, if James Brown said 'I'm feeling well!' it would just sound too dam_n white bread honky. Maybe Pat Boone's version of JB's hit?

Look at #5 on the link. a] I am feeling much better today. b] I feel much better today.

I thought b] was the correct answer, but they say a] is correct. I think they are wrong about that. Then you have annoying American speakers who say shit like 'I'm not hearing you.' Or 'Are we understanding each other.' <deleted>.

Don't go to India man!

But isn't it the Brits who say you feel well or you feel unwell? I thought a well was no hole in the ground. How do you feel a flat place on the ground? If one Brit feels the well better, is he felling well better? Is it an unwell well after it's been well filled? Well, is it? Or do they say, "It's a wee bit better well, filled full"?