Big Tipping Tourist

Rice_King

I have a friend who visits Thailand for 6 months of the year. My friend has a very good retirement and is certainly not hurting for money. So, while he is here in LOS, he makes sure that the local staff and service people whom he comes into contact with are very well compensated. Actually, "very well compensated" is probably an understatement.

As an example of his generosity, I will relate what transpired today at a buffet lunch. My friend ordered a mixed drink while my gf and I drank the water provided. The wait staff delivered my friend's mixed drink and kept our water glasses full. They didn't bring us any food, as it was a buffet, we helped ourselves. At the end of the meal my friend settled the food bill which amounted to 520 baht. Despite my objections, his tip amounted to over 300 baht.

This is quite typical behavior for him. He once tipped 1000 baht to a food vendor who chased him down a soi to return him a bag of goods he had purchased and had left behind at her stall. The cost of the goods he had forgotten was about fifty baht.

Whenever I chastise him, he shrugs it off by saying, "I can't take it with me." Or, "They need it more than I do."

What is the opinion of the folks reading this? Do you think that this is acceptable behavior for someone who has "money to throw around? What possible harm could come from my friend's generosity? Or is there another aspect of this that I am overlooking? What are the repercussions, if any, of over-tipping to such a degree?

Edited by Rice_King

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think by asking, you are already answering the question...

I dislike tipping more and more, and consequently; tipping less and less.

Especially when 10% service is added to the bill, a forced tip, even if the service paid for was poor or non-existing. I like to chose when to tip, and I gladly tip if I feel it is warrented.

As for your friend, this type of moronic behaviour should be discouraged. For him in his home country 20 Baht may not be much, but here it will buy you a meal. I have seen idiots tipping the young boys at Foodland Pattaya 100 Baht to carry groceries to their car. Go figure...

I have a friend who visits Thailand for 6 months of the year. My friend has a very good retirement and is certainly not hurting for money. So, while he is here in LOS, he makes sure that the local staff and service people whom he comes into contact with are very well compensated. Actually, "very well compensated" is probably an understatement.

As an example of his generosity, I will relate what transpired today at a buffet lunch. My friend ordered a mixed drink while my gf and I drank the water provided. The wait staff delivered my friend's mixed drink and kept our water glasses full. They didn't bring us any food, as it was a buffet, we helped ourselves. At the end of the meal my friend settled the food bill which amounted to 520 baht. Despite my objections, his tip amounted to over 300 baht.

This is quite typical behavior for him. He once tipped 1000 baht to a food vendor who chased him down a soi to return him a bag of goods he had purchased and had left behind at her stall. The cost of the goods he had forgotten was about fifty baht.

Whenever I chastise him, he shrugs it off by saying, "I can't take it with me." Or, "They need it more than I do."

What is the opinion of the folks reading this? Do you think that this is acceptable behavior for someone who has "money to throw around? What possible harm could come from my friend's generosity? Or is there another aspect of this that I am overlooking? What are the repercussions, if any, of over-tipping to such a degree?

his money, if it makes him feel good, genorous man, i have a friend the same, nearly always gives 100baht tip for food drinks,ect. his thai g/f trys to change tip sometime's.

food bill which amounted to 520 baht

A buffet food bill for 3 people came to 520 baht? Jeez...no wonder he tipped 300.

But seriously, constant over tipping by a certain sector of society can create the impression that everyone from that sector has heaps of money and is happy to give it away. This can create problems for others. Does he tip big in farangland?

He once tipped 1000 baht to a food vendor

I would've cringed if I'd witnessed that.

over-tipping seems a bit patronising to me. :o

I'm sure the person on the receiving end of the tip would have been deeply offended, before hooting and double flipping off down the street.

He once tipped 1000 baht to a food vendor

I would've cringed if I'd witnessed that.

over-tipping seems a bit patronising to me. :o

I agree, it's like saying "ppffftttt! Your money is nothing to me, here take it away".

I've no problem with tipping generously, especially if one has been given very good service, but I'd question tipping more than a notional amount at a buffet where you do half the work. As for the 1000 Baht to the street food vendor that is plain stupid but on the other hand why should we tell someone how to spend his/her own money?

It's a covert operation to price cheap charlies out of the Thai market.

--

I don't see anything wrong with tipping above the averge. At a popular restaurant regularly visit in Thailand I always leave a generous tip - Never wait long for a table, never wait long to be served.

What is regarded as 'geneerous' and 'over generous' is of course a personal view.

It's a covert operation to price cheap charlies out of the Thai market.

--

I don't see anything wrong with tipping above the averge. At a popular restaurant regularly visit in Thailand I always leave a generous tip - Never wait long for a table, never wait long to be served.

What is regarded as 'geneerous' and 'over generous' is of course a personal view.

:o

How many of you tip the department store clerk, or the HomePro staff you spend hours with choosing your tiles and suchlike? Do you tip the cook that actually make your food over a hot stove, instead of the sweet waitress who just takes 30 seconds to carry the food to your table?

Or do you tip the taxi/hairdresser? OK, I do too, sometimes. But why? It is their job isn't it?

Do you tip the check-out girl at Foodland/Villa Market? Why not?

Do you tip your doctor or dentist? If not, why not? They perform much more important services on you than the waitress. OK I know, they have better salary...

Edit: I see I have left myself open for attack as for the "performance of much more important services". I hope we can all agree to leave it to each person's imagination what this service might entail. My meaning was purely medical. OK?

Edited by MeaMaximaCulpa

above avarage service above avarage tip is justified.

I strongly disagree. I wonder why some people think that a big tip should be automatically included? You are already paying for the "average service" when you pay the "list price"! In Thailand I rougly apply the following:

- poor service: no tip, or very small tip

- average service: small tip (max 5%)

- above average service: average tip (5-10%)

- really, really, great service: above average tip (10-15%)

Above applies to situation where "service charge" isn't included in the bill. When there is a service charge, I don't tip anything (unless the service has been, really, really great).

BTW, I like China's tipping policy, it's plain and simple: NO tipping anywhere!

Edited by zink

Is ringing the bell in a bar stupid after consuming 20 drinks? No way hosay!! that's what the bell is for right ? so who cares if it makes you feel good. Tipping is totally dependant on the individuals frame of mind at the time and naturally the tourist will tip big and why not considering there living the dream for 7 days. In Australia the staff are paid a fortune and still most people will leave a tip of around 300 bht after paying 6000 bht for a meal for 2 including good wine so why not leave a tip of 100 bht here when the same meal costs a fraction and the service is 10 fold?

Especially when 10% service is added to the bill, a forced tip, even if the service paid for was poor or non-existing. I like to chose when to tip, and I gladly tip if I feel it is warrented.

As for your friend, this type of moronic behaviour should be discouraged. For him in his home country 20 Baht may not be much, but here it will buy you a meal. I have seen idiots tipping the young boys at Foodland Pattaya 100 Baht to carry groceries to their car. Go figure...

I agree. This type of behaviour should be discouraged.

Why?

Because it puts pressure on the rest of us, to tip as well. Tip more. And tip when the service is sub-standard and outright, poor.

Not everyone has the money to tip, and tip a lot more than the norm.

Tips are now expected, no matter what the conditions.

I don't care - who has money to "over tip" or simply throws it away - it's THEIR money - what ever they are doing with it...

they may think of opposing characters that they are stingy...so what?

and then: "think, this day is the first day of the rest of your life!"

Comes the guy who was in the news in my mind.... "waiting at the traffic light to come green...."out and over! in an instance!

Edited by Samuian

But seriously, constant over tipping by a certain sector of society can create the impression that everyone from that sector has heaps of money and is happy to give it away. This can create problems for others. Does he tip big in farangland?

And seriously, being cheap by a certain sector of society can create the impression that everyone from that sector is a cheap charlie. Works both ways.

, but I'd question tipping more than a notional amount at a buffet where you do half the work.

Even back home where tipping is expected, at buffets where the waitstaff doesn't do much work tipping isn't expected.

As for the 1000 Baht to the street food vendor that is plain stupid ...

He didn't tip "a food vendor". He tipped someone for being honest and returning his bag instead of ignoring ot or keeping it for himself - which is what the overwhleming majority of people in this world would do. Sure it only contained 50 baht worth of goods but like someone here has already stated, 20 baht will buy someone a meal.

How many of you tip the department store clerk, or the HomePro staff you spend hours with choosing your tiles and suchlike? Do you tip the cook that actually make your food over a hot stove, instead of the sweet waitress who just takes 30 seconds to carry the food to your table?

Or do you tip the taxi/hairdresser? OK, I do too, sometimes. But why? It is their job isn't it?

Do you tip the check-out girl at Foodland/Villa Market? Why not?

Do you tip your doctor or dentist? If not, why not? They perform much more important services on you than the waitress. OK I know, they have better salary...

Edit: I see I have left myself open for attack as for the "performance of much more important services". I hope we can all agree to leave it to each person's imagination what this service might entail. My meaning was purely medical. OK?

What is required is local knowledge of tipping. Different countries have different "rules" for tipping waiters, taxi drivers, hotel doormen, etc. In America, waiters get half the legal minimum wage because they are EXPECTED to earn money from tips. In Canada, waiters get decent salaries and aren't expected to be tipped. When Canadians come to America, they KNOW in America tipping is standard but they play ignorant and don't tip (in my experience as a waiter in Florida where rich Canadians would have enough money for winter homes but not enough to leave 15% on a lunch tab). In Finland I'm told they would be offended if you left a tip whereas 86 km across the gulf in Estonia, tips are appreciated (although rarely earned).

Usually guidebooks I have seen have a section on local tipping customs. Anyone have a link to what is expected/appropriate here in Thailand?

Edited by koheesti

I agree. This type of behaviour should be discouraged.

Why?

Because it puts pressure on the rest of us, to tip as well.

So others should modify their behaviour so that you don't feel pressured to tip? Sorry.

If you don't want to tip, fine, no problem. If you want to tip, go ahead. I used to be a waiter in the States. As a result, I tip more than most. In fact, some waiters tend to tip well for "bad service" sometimes because they can remember back to the times they were so overwhlemed (in the weeds) and everything was going wrong. The waiter knows they aren't getting a tip for good service. It is sort of an encouraging way of saying, "hang in there, it'll get better, not everyone here hates you freakin' guts because you're so slow". Now, in a lot of countries where waiters don't take their jobs as seriously (no incentive to "serve" anyone), the service outright sucks because the waiter is plain bad. In that case, leave the smallest coins possible to let them know you didn't forget to tip, on the contrary, that 2 baht is all they were worth.

First of all it's his money. If he can afford it, then you should not worry about it.

I see the big reason here to worry about it, is that it makes some look and feel cheap. Well, guess what? It's also your money and if you want to throw down 5 baht...... up to you.

If you plan on going back to the place, lets see who gets the better table, service, food not spat in :o

I would rather over tip than under tip, but thats just me.

Jesus you sound like a barrel of laughs mate !! I mean come on, Thailand may not be a developed country but you are never far away from a McDonalds or Starbucks etc etc.

Basically what I am saying is that people in Thailand know that foreigners have money when they arrive there on holiday, it's not some kind of eye opening revelation that they can produce a days wage as a tip.

You are making their day.

I always make a rule when I arrive in Thailand, I give the taxi driver 500 baht tip (it's worth it just to see the look on their face) when we arrive at my residence.

chok dee ! :o

I want to do with my money what I want to do.

PLease stop wasting your energy on such petty points as this.

"it makes the rest of us look bad if someone tips too much" argument is crap - you are too concerned by what other people think/don't think about you and your actions, eg the tipper annoys you for being too generous and 'upsetting the balance' and then the Thai waiter/ress is upset with you becuase you didn't tip as much as the previous foreigner... get over it - life really is too good and too short to let this be of enough concern for you to get wound up / post about it on a forum.

That said, I'm don't wish to be a hypocrite, so it's your choice also to bitch about something I deem unworthy of my time to bitch about (although me bitching about people who tend to bitch about things I find pointless is kind of reverse-hypocracy....?)

beer needed, too much thinking. :-)

One thing has always puzzled me. Why on this forum there are many people who complain about double-pricing and there are also many people who voluntarily overpay (by giving a huge tips)?

Why people don't realize that the voluntary overpaying leads to double pricing? Companies like to maximize their profits, if they see that foreigners voluntarily overpay, then the most logical solution for them is to start charging foreigners more.... For example: if the bill is 400B and the farang pays happily 500B, then why don't charge next farang 450B for the same stuff?

I want to do with my money what I want to do.

PLease stop wasting your energy on such petty points as this.

"it makes the rest of us look bad if someone tips too much" argument is crap - you are too concerned by what other people think/don't think about you and your actions, eg the tipper annoys you for being too generous and 'upsetting the balance' and then the Thai waiter/ress is upset with you becuase you didn't tip as much as the previous foreigner... get over it - life really is too good and too short to let this be of enough concern for you to get wound up / post about it on a forum.

That said, I'm don't wish to be a hypocrite, so it's your choice also to bitch about something I deem unworthy of my time to bitch about (although me bitching about people who tend to bitch about things I find pointless is kind of reverse-hypocracy....?)

beer needed, too much thinking. :-)

Like your style my man :D

I agree with you on two points. ONE: your posting, and TWO : time for a necessary beer.

Enjoy :o

Is ringing the bell in a bar stupid after consuming 20 drinks? No way hosay!! that's what the bell is for right ? so who cares if it makes you feel good. Tipping is totally dependant on the individuals frame of mind at the time and naturally the tourist will tip big and why not considering there living the dream for 7 days. In Australia the staff are paid a fortune and still most people will leave a tip of around 300 bht after paying 6000 bht for a meal for 2 including good wine so why not leave a tip of 100 bht here when the same meal costs a fraction and the service is 10 fold?

So if you give 5% (300/6000) tip in Australia, why you should give more than 5% tip in Thailand? Especially since the tipping tradition in Thailand is very new and brought by tourists...

Sure, many things are cheaper in Thailand, but if you start to overpay, then this difference will be become smaller.