Big Tipping Tourist

Rice_King

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have traveled the world extensively since the 60's and I have seen how the American style tipping has ruined and often degraded the local peoples. It also makes a load stone for those that follow.

not so much in Pattaya but up country most small bars restaurants etc. are family owned and priced so that they get the income needed, they do not expect and should not be given tips, a rule of thumb I learnt a long time ago here was that if the change was not brought on a tip tray never offer a tip.

This has been discussed previously, with a similar range of conflicting opinions. The only issue I'd throw into the mix is this. Overly generous tipping can and does lead to price rises. How? Using restaurants just as an example, the proprietor sees the staff being generously rewarded by tips that go into their pockets (not his). Solution: increase prices within the median range of those tips.

Apply this across the entire service industry and the problem becomes self-evident (and, unfortuantely, self-perpetuating - the type of people who overtip tend to do so even when prices are exorbitant.)

This is a contributing factor (certainly not the only reason) as to why areas with heavy concentrations of tourists are generally far more expensive than other areas within the Kingdom. I say it is not the sole factor because prices are generally dearer in any tourist destination throughout the world.

So, people on their two or three week holiday with their bundle of baht feel good about being generous to the locals (or worse, are over-tipping for less altruistic reasons) and the locals appreciate love it. Naturally, the prices creep up over time (and beyond general inflation/price levels). All well and good and for those returning home after their brief holdiay, but not much help for those who happen to live or spend lengthy times here.

This is my observation after travelling here for well over twenty years (now living here six months per year). Bottom line? Reasonable tips are fine. By that, I mean an amount the average person would consider to be appropriate to the service level received. Exorbitant tips are quite often, though not exclusively, given by the selfish 'Who cares?' brigade.

PS - how many of you who frequent Phuket remember when local tuk tuk rides were 20 baht?

My idea of a good tip:

post-30172-1196206730_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ping

The effects of this behaviour can already be seen in places like Phuket and Samui where bad service can be had at inflated prices. Taxis spring to mind. Double pricing is a result of this behaviour. I have read that going back 30-odd years to the American airbases, big tipping was so widespread by the airmen when they went off base, it quickly created an official 2-tier pricing system for all foreigners visiting the city of Udon.

Many of who are putting forth the elaborate theories on how tipping impacts the world are missing the point.

Whether you're right is an academic argument, which is completely irrelevant.

Take a step back, a deep breath, and remind yourself that how another person spends his/her money is none of your dam_n business, even if it does impact you negatively.

I can only imagine if I'd applied the same whining concept to housing when I lived in Silicon Valley: "Oh Mr. Billionaire, please don't offer so much for your house, it's driving the price of housing up for me, boo hoo." The proper response, of course, would be: "Tough sh*t."

Lecture over, you may now continue to cry me a river about the rich man oppressing you.

... Take a step back, a deep breath, and remind yourself that how another person spends his/her money is none of your dam_n business, even if it does impact you negatively.

I can only imagine if I'd applied the same whining concept to housing when I lived in Silicon Valley: "Oh Mr. Billionaire, please don't offer so much for your house, it's driving the price of housing up for me, boo hoo." The proper response, of course, would be: "Tough sh*t."

Lecture over, you may now continue to cry me a river about the rich man oppressing you.

Thank you, my sentiment exactly,

The only people that have a problem with over-tippers are the tipping challenged cheap charlies, that love to slam people who are either successful or simply generous.

The concept of giving more just because you want to is lost on them, and giving more because you can really pisses off these cheap wanke_rs. :o

Edited by cobra

... Take a step back, a deep breath, and remind yourself that how another person spends his/her money is none of your dam_n business, even if it does impact you negatively.

The only people that have a problem with over-tippers are the tipping challenged cheap charlies, that love to slam people who are either successful or simply generous.

The concept of giving more just because you want to is lost on them, and giving more because you can really pisses off these cheap wanke_rs. :o

:D Agreed.

:D Agreed.

:D Double Agreed.

The concept of giving more just because you want to is lost on them, and giving more because you can really pisses off these cheap wanke_rs. :D

I could not have said it better. :o

The concept of giving more just because you want to is lost on them, and giving more because you can really pisses off these cheap wanke_rs. :D

This of course does not apply to Thailand. Thia culture does not involve tipping, where I live anyway. Tip all you want in Silicon Valley.

If I see a friend tipping 200 baht for a 500 baht meal I stop them as it's embarrassing.

my husband was born & raised in Khon kaen & as an example, this year he bought mum a new fridge freezer & washing machine, the guys who delivered them carried them into the house & removed the boxes, hubby gave them 50baht each for a tip.

We eat often when at his home from the korean bbq place & the guy drives the bbq pot with glowing hot coals to mums house, there are two of these guys, one to drive & one to carry the bbq stuff, hubby gives them both a 20baht tip.

We have a fav resteraunt in his home town & eat there a lot, it is a chin-thai place & they do lovely fish, service is always good, the staff & owner nice & hubby always leave a 100b note for tip as our food is usually about 500b as we order extra to take home to the kids & mum.

I dont' know where these thais who dont tip come from as hubby is in no way a city slicker or hi so & often refers to his family as bannork, but all of them, even the MIL who is tighter than a nuns fanny, leave a tip for staff or gives a tip for delivery service. Dunno, maybe they are odd but I see a lot of thai tippers, maybe not as much as some tourists though.

Some people choose not to tip or are real cheap if they do.....At least in Thailand I have the choice to tip or not.....travelling in Europe last year,first time and last time visit,I found almost every restaurant automatically added a service charge that was anywhere from 10 to 20 percent.This "TIP" paid for some of the worst service I have received anywhere in the world...along with the super high prices they add insult by demanding a service charge....most times we were serviced alright ....another term for getting screwed ...so don`t criticize us that tip for good food and great service...and anyone so naive as to say Thais don`t want tips is a fool...

I have a friend who visits Thailand for 6 months of the year. My friend has a very good retirement and is certainly not hurting for money. So, while he is here in LOS, he makes sure that the local staff and service people whom he comes into contact with are very well compensated. Actually, "very well compensated" is probably an understatement.

As an example of his generosity, I will relate what transpired today at a buffet lunch. My friend ordered a mixed drink while my gf and I drank the water provided. The wait staff delivered my friend's mixed drink and kept our water glasses full. They didn't bring us any food, as it was a buffet, we helped ourselves. At the end of the meal my friend settled the food bill which amounted to 520 baht. Despite my objections, his tip amounted to over 300 baht.

This is quite typical behavior for him. He once tipped 1000 baht to a food vendor who chased him down a soi to return him a bag of goods he had purchased and had left behind at her stall. The cost of the goods he had forgotten was about fifty baht.

Whenever I chastise him, he shrugs it off by saying, "I can't take it with me." Or, "They need it more than I do."

What is the opinion of the folks reading this? Do you think that this is acceptable behavior for someone who has "money to throw around? What possible harm could come from my friend's generosity? Or is there another aspect of this that I am overlooking? What are the repercussions, if any, of over-tipping to such a degree?

Does he give to charities with the same amount of enthusiasm? If he does great, but if he doesn't then perhaps you should have a sitdown with him

Mike

This of course does not apply to Thailand. Thia culture does not involve tipping, where I live anyway. Tip all you want in Silicon Valley.

If I see a friend tipping 200 baht for a 500 baht meal I stop them as it's embarrassing.

Who said anything about tipping in Silicon Valley? Please, if you're going to focus on tangent details of a person's post instead of trying to argue against the logic in the post, at least keep the irrelevant details accurate for your pseudo arguments.

I talked about losers in one market trying to dictate market conditions by telling others how to spend their money, and then drew an analogy to hypothetical losers in another market trying to dictate market conditions by telling others how to spend their money.

At no point did I discuss tipping in Silicon Valley.

It is always instructive to see an array of differing opinions on these threads - we all have something to learn. What a pity it is, though, that along with differing opinions come the inevitable personal insults, ie 'Cheap wanke_rs', towards posters merely because of a differing viewpoint. Do those who insult others really think that they will convince the others of the merit of their argument? If not, what is the point of posting at all - to get your jollies out of flaming?

It is always instructive to see an array of differing opinions on these threads - we all have something to learn. What a pity it is, though, that along with differing opinions come the inevitable personal insults, ie 'Cheap wanke_rs', towards posters merely because of a differing viewpoint. Do those who insult others really think that they will convince the others of the merit of their argument? If not, what is the point of posting at all - to get your jollies out of flaming?

What I find interesting is the way board members often can ignore insults when they agree with the point a person is making, but then start noticing the insults when they come from a person with an opinion different than theirs.

Search the topic for the string "moron." Your wrist-slapping appears a bit one-sided to me.

How many of you tip the department store clerk, or the HomePro staff you spend hours with choosing your tiles and suchlike? Do you tip the cook that actually make your food over a hot stove, instead of the sweet waitress who just takes 30 seconds to carry the food to your table?

Or do you tip the taxi/hairdresser? OK, I do too, sometimes. But why? It is their job isn't it?

Do you tip the check-out girl at Foodland/Villa Market? Why not?

Do you tip your doctor or dentist? If not, why not? They perform much more important services on you than the waitress. OK I know, they have better salary...

Edit: I see I have left myself open for attack as for the "performance of much more important services". I hope we can all agree to leave it to each person's imagination what this service might entail. My meaning was purely medical. OK?

I was told off by my ex for even saying thank you to my Doctor/Dentist, she said you pay him that is enough

Please keep your tipping over generous or otherwise to Pattaya and other tourist resorts up country restaurants etc. are generally family run and charge correctly you will be degrading a beautiful race of people by any sort of tipping. It might make the tipper feel good but stay in the restaurant after he/she has left and you will here the familiar stupid Farang comments

I was out for dinner last night with 4 farang. The service was terrible - they forgot one pizza and instead of putting our bottles on the trolley they put them on the table. Two of the guys, newbies, were pissed off having to wait so long for their pizza but when it came to paying the bill they said they were onlygoing to leave a small 50 baht tip. Ridiculous, why tip ANYTHING when the service is poor. Another case of taking one's own culture and applying it to another. Ignorance of culture and value of money.

Are you trolling again Neeranam?
Don't know what you're taking about :D

How much should I tip my postman for thieving my letters?

Should I tip the ice-cream man for taking his goods round to my house in that little noisy f***ng contraption that plays that annoying Walls tune?

I'm getting an oil-change today - how much should I tip the mechanics?

Lunch at KFC tesco - is 50 baht tip ok? :o

Ah, this old chestnut again. Same, same; tip big to make yourself feel great and look stupid at the same time if that's your thing. Best to tip with your head than to show off and belittle the recipient. Newbies, those who can't control themselves and those thinking they get respect from it can't grasp this simple concept it seems. Stay in the states if you want to practice percentage tipping. :o

You all miss the main point of tipping in Thailand: to drive up prices so that all the beer-bellied, inked-up, tank-top wearing, 50+ year old Western sexpats living on meager pensions can't afford to stay. It's all part of the TBP (Thailand Beautification Project).

What I find interesting is the way board members often can ignore insults when they agree with the point a person is making, but then start noticing the insults when they come from a person with an opinion different than theirs.

Search the topic for the string "moron." Your wrist-slapping appears a bit one-sided to me.

My apologies, AJC, for my moronic observations. Please feel free to flame 'til your heart's content - you never know who you may impress.

I have a friend who visits Thailand for 6 months of the year. My friend has a very good retirement and is certainly not hurting for money. So, while he is here in LOS, he makes sure that the local staff and service people whom he comes into contact with are very well compensated. Actually, "very well compensated" is probably an understatement.

As an example of his generosity, I will relate what transpired today at a buffet lunch. My friend ordered a mixed drink while my gf and I drank the water provided. The wait staff delivered my friend's mixed drink and kept our water glasses full. They didn't bring us any food, as it was a buffet, we helped ourselves. At the end of the meal my friend settled the food bill which amounted to 520 baht. Despite my objections, his tip amounted to over 300 baht.

This is quite typical behavior for him. He once tipped 1000 baht to a food vendor who chased him down a soi to return him a bag of goods he had purchased and had left behind at her stall. The cost of the goods he had forgotten was about fifty baht.

Whenever I chastise him, he shrugs it off by saying, "I can't take it with me." Or, "They need it more than I do."

What is the opinion of the folks reading this? Do you think that this is acceptable behavior for someone who has "money to throw around? What possible harm could come from my friend's generosity? Or is there another aspect of this that I am overlooking? What are the repercussions, if any, of over-tipping to such a degree?

In the West I hate the practice of tipping and feel that it is demeaning and outdated and should be phased out.

In Thailand where it would be foolish to pretend that there are not big differentials of wealth, it is useful and can mean a lot to the recipient.

As to appropriate behaviour, it depends how the tip is given, whether quietly and unostentatiously or as big shot, flashing money around and expecting to gain face and extra services.

It embarasses me frankly even here and I still don't like doing it.

In the US at least for waiters, tipping is not optional or outdated, it is REQUIRED. It is part of the cost of the meal, period, because waiters are taxed based on their checks and assumed to be receiving a set percentage of tips. So by not tipping waiters in the US you are actually potentially costing them money. A stupid system, but thats the way it is there. Truly, if you aren't willing to pay the tip, you need to stay home.

In Thailand, it is up to you, and I like this better. Some things they do better in Thailand, tipping and toilet hoses being at the top of the list.