Big Tipping Tourist

Rice_King

First of all it's his money. If he can afford it, then you should not worry about it.

I see the big reason here to worry about it, is that it makes some look and feel cheap. Well, guess what? It's also your money and if you want to throw down 5 baht...... up to you.

If you plan on going back to the place, lets see who gets the better table, service, food not spat in :o

I would rather over tip than under tip, but thats just me.

I only had time so far to wade through page one so if I repeat something that has already been posted, my apologies.

I also tend to over-tip a bit, especially for exceptional service like the kind I/we get from "Gai" at Tuskers who is likely the best waitress I have seen in all my time in Thailand or elsewhere. Severe over-tipping however, while the person is pleased to receive it, can easily give the impression that the generous farang is a bit unwise with his/her money.

All service personel with any experience are certainly aware of the tipping habits of the multi-cultural community they serve, as well as the attitudes they will likely experience. The worst are the (unmentioned by nationality) ones who are loud, rude and overly demanding then walk out without leaving any gratuity whatsoever. For those cases, I am happy that there are those of us who compensate by being very polite and leaving a bit more.

Just my habit but I tend to leave 10% for reasonable service. I also know that tips are usually shared by all the wait-people (assuming honest management) and to short one for poor service hurts everyone working there. For exceptional service, I will tip my normal 10% then very quietly and hopefully unobserved, pass a tightly folded currency note to the one who deserves it the most. This is accepted here and it is their own money but it should be done unobtrusively not as some grandiose gesture.

As Jeff1 wisely posted, if you are returning to a place you like, being a bit generous helps assure that the service you receive continues to be top-notch; or if you are the kind who doesn't mind short-changing some service person who is likely struggling along on a hundred bucks a month just to save yourself a few baht, you will get little respect from either them or me.

Side note: Rewarding exceptional honesty is worth every baht; this is after all the kind of behavior worth promoting, right?

Many years ago I left a very fat tip on a restaurant table for my waitress who not only provided exceptional service but I had already met her and have to admit that I was a bit infatuated. It took her a day or two to find me and when she did, she returned my money which I had "accidently left on her table."

We have been married for six years now and I am the happiest I have ever been in my life...

Edited by Dustoff

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please keep your tipping over generous or otherwise to Pattaya and other tourist resorts up country restaurants etc. are generally family run and charge correctly you will be degrading a beautiful race of people by any sort of tipping. It might make the tipper feel good but stay in the restaurant after he/she has left and you will here the familiar stupid Farang comments

Sorry it is your imagination.

If you are polite, the staff will like you. And if you even tip generously, it will be a bonus for the staff.

My wife used to work as a waitress. Her opinion about farangs tipping generously is it is their money and they can do whatever they like with it.

I think the problem is that you have too low an opinion of the thais. Stupid Farang comments? I know when they are used.

I tip generously too but I sometimes have to tell my wife that "you are tipping too generously". And she is from poor rural Isaan. Thais don't tip???????

Ah, this old chestnut again. Same, same; tip big to make yourself feel great and look stupid at the same time if that's your thing. Best to tip with your head than to show off and belittle the recipient. Newbies, those who can't control themselves and those thinking they get respect from it can't grasp this simple concept it seems. Stay in the states if you want to practice percentage tipping. :o

So you think only Newbies tip? Considering Asia you are still a Newby to me. Stay in the states? Do some research to see if tipping is common in Thailand!

First of all it's his money. If he can afford it, then you should not worry about it.

I see the big reason here to worry about it, is that it makes some look and feel cheap. Well, guess what? It's also your money and if you want to throw down 5 baht...... up to you.

If you plan on going back to the place, lets see who gets the better table, service, food not spat in :D

I only had time so far to wade through page one so if I repeat something that has already been posted, my apologies.

I also tend to over-tip a bit, especially for exceptional service like the kind I/we get from "Gai" at Tuskers who is likely the best waitress I have seen in all my time in Thailand or elsewhere. Severe over-tipping however, while the person is pleased to receive it, can easily give the impression that the generous farang is a bit unwise with his/her money.

All service personel with any experience are certainly aware of the tipping habits of the multi-cultural community they serve, as well as the attitudes they will likely experience. The worst are the (unmentioned by nationality) ones who are loud, rude and overly demanding then walk out without leaving any gratuity whatsoever. For those cases, I am happy that there are those of us who compensate by being very polite and leaving a bit more.

Just my habit but I tend to leave 10% for reasonable service. I also know that tips are usually shared by all the wait-people (assuming honest management) and to short one for poor service hurts everyone working there. For exceptional service, I will tip my normal 10% then very quietly and hopefully unobserved, pass a tightly folded currency note to the one who deserves it the most. This is accepted here and it is their own money but it should be done unobtrusively not as some grandiose gesture.

As Jeff1 wisely posted, if you are returning to a place you like, being a bit generous helps assure that the service you receive continues to be top-notch; or if you are the kind who doesn't mind short-changing some service person who is likely struggling along on a hundred bucks a month just to save yourself a few baht, you will get little respect from either them or me...

Well said Sir!

Very understanding person! :o

Side note: Rewarding exceptional honesty is worth every baht; this is after all the kind of behavior worth promoting, right?

Many years ago I left a very fat tip on a restaurant table for my waitress who not only provided exceptional service but I had already met her and have to admit that I was a bit infatuated. It took her a day or two to find me and when she did, she returned my money which I had "accidently left on her table."

We have been married for six years now and I am the happiest I have ever been in my life...

That is very sweet. :o

Best wishes.

If you plan on going back to the place, lets see who gets the better table, service, food not spat in :D

As Jeff1 wisely posted, if you are returning to a place you like, being a bit generous helps assure that the service you receive continues to be top-notch; or if you are the kind who doesn't mind short-changing some service person who is likely struggling along on a hundred bucks a month just to save yourself a few baht, you will get little respect from either them or me.

Great post,

So it would appear the tipping-challenged are in minority here, these cheap charlies will continue to delude themselves with nonsense rationalizations such as Thai's don't tip, are insulted by receiving tips, etc,

You have a problem tipping, fine, but the rest of us who don't will continue to tip, we'll continue to get better service than you, and generally will be held in higher regard than you, and yes, they are spitting in your food. :o:D

Ah, this old chestnut again. Same, same; tip big to make yourself feel great and look stupid at the same time if that's your thing. Best to tip with your head than to show off and belittle the recipient. Newbies, those who can't control themselves and those thinking they get respect from it can't grasp this simple concept it seems. Stay in the states if you want to practice percentage tipping. :o

So you think only Newbies tip? Considering Asia you are still a Newby to me. Stay in the states? Do some research to see if tipping is common in Thailand!

Read again dummy.

Please keep your tipping over generous or otherwise to Pattaya and other tourist resorts up country restaurants etc. are generally family run and charge correctly you will be degrading a beautiful race of people by any sort of tipping. It might make the tipper feel good but stay in the restaurant after he/she has left and you will here the familiar stupid Farang comments

If you are polite, the staff will like you. (don't you mean, if the staff are polite you may like them - since when does it matter if the staff like you) And if you even tip generously, it will be a bonus for the staff.

My wife used to work as a waitress. Her opinion about farangs tipping generously is it is their money and they can do whatever they like with it.

I think the problem is that you have too low an opinion of the thais. Stupid Farang comments? I know when they are used.

I tip generously too but I sometimes have to tell my wife that "you are tipping too generously". And she is from poor rural Isaan. Thais don't tip???????

A poor rural Isarn girl tipping big? Something strange there, she must have won the lottery?. I work in rural Isaarn and assure you that in restaurants, Thais don't tip. If it's one of the upmarket restaurants/hotels, perhaps, but the average restaurant - NEVER.

Do you tip when you eat in a normal noodle shop? Khao man gai - 20 baht, how much do you tip?

If you are polite, the staff will like you. (don't you mean, if the staff are polite you may like them - since when does it matter if the staff like you) And if you even tip generously, it will be a bonus for the staff.

A poor rural Isarn girl tipping big? Something strange there, she must have won the lottery?. I work in rural Isaarn and assure you that in restaurants, Thais don't tip. If it's one of the upmarket restaurants/hotels, perhaps, but the average restaurant - NEVER.

Do you tip when you eat in a normal noodle shop? Khao man gai - 20 baht, how much do you tip?

I thought you knew thailand good enough to understand that we are not talking about tipping the somtam lady. And we are also not talking about those noodle shops that are at the Isaan country roadside. We are talking about restaurants where there are quite a few staff and there is a bill to show you. Do you ask for a bill for Khao man gai-20baht? :o

Edited by meemiathai

I thought you knew thailand good enough to understand that we are not talking about tipping the somtam lady. And we are also not talking about those noodle shops that are at the Isaan country roadside. We are talking about restaurants where there are quite a few staff and there is a bill to show you. Do you ask for a bill for Khao man gai-20baht? :o

Ah, so if there's a bill, you tip? KFC?

Sorry I hate KFCs. I did not know they give out bills though. Just to clarify, I am saying those that go with a silver rectangular plate(what do you call those?) or a black folder. Do you not tip when the waiter comes to you with that? Even in England? :o

In Pizzahut today, I had a black wallet with the bill and I did leave a tip - 20 baht, I don't know why really as I had to go to the counter myself with it. The service was great - they looked after my baby daughter as the rest of us ate.

I usually leave the coins on the silver plate unless the service has been extra special.

Sorry I hate KFCs. I did not know they give out bills though. Just to clarify, I am saying those that go with a silver rectangular plate(what do you call those?) or a black folder. Do you not tip when the waiter comes to you with that? Even in England? :o

In Pizzahut today, I had a black wallet with the bill and I did leave a tip - 20 baht, I don't know why really as I had to go to the counter myself with it. The service was great - they looked after my baby daughter as the rest of us ate.

I usually leave the coins on the silver plate unless the service has been extra special.

What! You tip when you eat in a bloody hut? Are you mad?

Try a "number four, large" - lovely!

And I have never tipped there.

Nice to see you refering to your friend as farang Jingthing.

Don't you know her nationality?

I like the word farang, if you had been paying attention, you would know that. The purpose of using farang friend here is to class all my farang friends in a basket, and she is the best. If I had said best American friend there might have been a question that perhaps I have an even better Bulgarian friend.

Nice to see you refering to your friend as farang Jingthing.

Don't you know her nationality?

I like the word farang, if you had been paying attention, you would know that. The purpose of using farang friend here is to class all my farang friends in a basket, and she is the best. If I had said best American friend there might have been a question that perhaps I have an even better Bulgarian friend.

Now your getting the idea.