Uk To Thai Bank Transfer Via Swift - Does The Branch Address Matter?

Well this should hopefully be straight forward...

I am making a transfer from my UK Bank Account to my Thai BBL Account -

I live a bit out in the sticks (ban nok jing jing!) and I am under the impression that if I give the BBL head office address this will help expedite the transfer procedure.

The reason being that those at the head office are more familiar with handling foreign transfer, than their counterparts in the countryside.

Is this correct.

If I give the address as the head office (333 Silom Rd), although my local branch is in Ampur Surat Thani, will it still get to me?

Many Thanks in advance.

Edited by ManInSurat

Well this should hopefully be straight forward...

I am making a transfer from my UK Bank Account to my Thai BBL Account -

I live a bit out in the sticks (ban nok jing jing!) and I am under the impression that if I give the BBL head office address this will help expedite the transfer procedure.

The reason being that those at the head office are more familiar with handling foreign transfer, than their counterparts in the countryside.

Is this correct.

If I give the address as the head office (333 Silom Rd), although my local branch is in Ampur Surat Thani, will it still get to me?

Many Thanks in advance.

A call to your local branch should get you the swift code and address for them I havent had any probs geting money from UK to BKK Bank Lamphun but then I was in the UK I have no experiance of getting money into Thialand when there other than using ATM Maybee you can use a cheque ? but it will take time

It is my impression that a Swift code is for the Bank itself, not for a branch. All wire transfers come into the wire transfer office of the bank in BKK and then entered into the bank's computer as a credit to your account, all centralized, with your local branch identified by branch number on the main computer. I doubt the funds ever actually go to the local branch.

My last request for a wire transfer confirmation document to SCB wire transfer office in BKK was met with the explanation that any branch can raise your account on the main computer and print out the confirmation of overseas transfer, although probably that service is only available at the branch in which your account is lodged.

You should put your branch address on the transfer form. It will go to Bangkok office anyway. The Bangkok Bank website - under 'international payments' gives advice on how to expedite your payments to Thailand. If memory serves two suggestions are:

1.Put the beneficiary name as is on the passbook.

2. Use the swift code BKKBTHBK.

If you are transferring more than $20000 remember to advise your sending bank to annotate the form with the reason 'i.e. house purchase'

I get my transfers from Lloyds/Tsb in 2-3 working days.

You probably know but make sure you instruct your bank to send sterling GBP not baht!!!!

Edited by pontious

Many thanks for the replies.

I will proceed with putting my Surat branch address and let it be handled by BBL in the aforementioned way.

On a side note, I am also an ex-ex-pat in Spain and have bank accounts there too.

I ordered a transfer to my BBL bank account from Spain, in Euros to my (then) farang limited savings account which has to be registered in BKK and I got the transfer within 1 day.

I was really impressed with that, let's hope this will be reflected with this transfer!

Again, thanks for your time.

HAPPY LOY EVERYONE, WHEREVER YOU'RE FLOATING (as long as it's not face-down in the Chao Praya!)

Edited by ManInSurat

I can beat you guys. With only the SWIFT code, my full name and the FULL account numberr (The first 3 digits is your brank number - or used to be), mine got from my bank in the UK to TH the NEXT DAY... Great service

But watch that the transfer shows the EXACT full name is you bank book, as i friend send some over but because the BBL showed his Full name and the English Bank only his First and family name, they held the money for ONE MONEY until Barclays sent a correction form, even though the account number was correct and any "Human" could see it was the same guy!!

Its should be your branch. Not a centralized branch. As that's where your account name and number is held. They don't transfer internationally to that branch. Its goes to the bank and the credit is presumably added digitally.

The swift code is the name of the bank. Not the branch. i.e.

Kasikornbank (Thai Farmers Bank)

Swift Code - TFBSTHBK

I'm British, live in Thailand and have done this regularly for the last 5 years.

You just need a Thai bank account to transfer to. Plus these details before you call the bank in the UK.

Name and Address of Thai bank (your Branch)

Account holders name

Account number

Swift code

This transfer is done on the phone from Thailand to your UK bank in a 5 minute phone call.

I call "phone Bank" and ask to do an "International Money mover" this is probably Lloyds TSB's own terminology but it shouldn't different much from one bank to another.

The maximum I can send is 5,000 GBP at a time. Lloyds TSB policy. Thai banks have restrictions I believe its million a day but you'd need to check.

The fee is about 30 GBP

Takes 2 - 3 days

The rate i get is normally pretty good. The Thai banks rate on the day.

Its that simple. You call the Bank in England and you pull the money out the hole in the wall over here.

Edited by Pui

I can beat you guys. With only the SWIFT code, my full name and the FULL account numberr (The first 3 digits is your brank number - or used to be), mine got from my bank in the UK to TH the NEXT DAY... Great service

But watch that the transfer shows the EXACT full name is you bank book, as i friend send some over but because the BBL showed his Full name and the English Bank only his First and family name, they held the money for ONE MONEY until Barclays sent a correction form, even though the account number was correct and any "Human" could see it was the same guy!!

Hi folks, what about the other way around. How easy is it to send money from Thailand to the UK? What are the charges? Is there a limit? How long does it usually take?

Thanks.

Hi Dob,

I'm sure I can help you with this as I have performed lots of transfers out of Thailand using BBL.

If you are sending from a farang account then you need to go into a branch to do the transfer, also you will need to take the relevant identification docs with you, i.e. passport.

Ask to speak to the person in charge of foreign remittances or TTs. If you are in a local branch then it will probably be the bank manager as it is in my case. If you're going into the head office, then they will more than likely have a whole department/office dedicated to this service.

You will need to fill out a form stating all the normal details:

Bank Name & Address

Bank Address

Account No./IBAN

Swift Code/Sort Code

Reason for trasnfer

They will perform a currency transfer in the bank first. In BBL they do not have the option of sending the transfer in Baht and allowing the foreign bank to complete the exchange.

BBL has a current in-branch charge of B390 for the service, which will, more than likely, be reflected in other Thai banks.

Transfers take a stated 2-3 days, but normally it's there within minutes after the transfer is made, it all depends on how long it takes the Thai bank to make the transfer and subsequently the Foreign Bank to locate the incoming transfer and credit the funds to the relevant account.

I think this is the whole process covered, if I've missed anything out guys then please correct me.

ManInSurat Out. :o

Its should be your branch. Not a centralized branch. As that's where your account name and number is held. They don't transfer internationally to that branch. Its goes to the bank and the credit is presumably added digitally.

Swift Code - TFBSTHBK

I'm British, live in Thailand and have done this regularly for the last 5 years.

You just need a Thai bank account to transfer to. Plus these details before you call the bank in the UK.

Account holders name

Account number

Swift code

This transfer is done on the phone from Thailand to your UK bank in a 5 minute phone call.

I call "phone Bank" and ask to do an "International Money mover" this is probably Lloyds TSB's own terminology but it shouldn't different much from one bank to another.

The maximum I can send is 5,000 GBP at a time. Lloyds TSB policy. Thai banks have restrictions I believe its million a day but you'd need to check.

The fee is about 30 GBP

Takes 2 - 3 days

Its that simple. You call the Bank in England and you pull the money out the hole in the wall over here.

30 GBP for a transfer!!!!!

That's a complete rip-off Pui.

My Santander account in Spain charge 12.5 (8 GBP appx) Euros for transfer into Thailand and BBL charge 390 Baht (5 GBP appx) for transfers out!

Also Natwest in the UK do it for 12.5 GBP, I'm sure.

You might want to have a chat with them about that.

Greedy b*stards.

Swift Code - TFBSTHBK

Account holders name

Account number

Swift code

The fee is about 30 GBP

Takes 2 - 3 days

My Santander account in Spain charge 12.5 (8 GBP appx) Euros for transfer into Thailand and BBL charge 390 Baht (5 GBP appx) for transfers out!

Greedy b*stards.

Thanks Guy's. I am with Siam commercial which I opened on Koh Tao. It looks like I am getting the boat then. I hate that boat.

Thanks again.

Swift Code - TFBSTHBK

Account holders name

Account number

Swift code

The fee is about 30 GBP

Takes 2 - 3 days

Greedy b*stards.

Yorkshire bank charge £39 gdp per transfer

Reason for trasnfer

Don't trust banks with what they do with this infomation. If not them then the various tax officals etc that get to see your personal details.

So when asked this question.....

Don't say: To buy weapons for "cause".

Do say: Living Expenses while on holiday.

Talking about cars and houses just makes your personal file interesting for people sitting in cold offices looking for people enjoying themselves overseas rather than investing the money in local taxes.

So when asked this question.....

Don't say: To buy weapons for "cause".

Do say: Living Expenses while on holiday.

Talking about cars and houses just makes your personal file interesting for people sitting in cold offices looking for people enjoying themselves overseas rather than investing the money in local taxes.

If you transfer over $20,000 and put ''living expenses whilst on holiday'' expect to see 30% wing its way to the BOT for a year!

( with no interest) :o:D