What's The Place To Be Tonight..?

jobje3

Anywhere along the riverbank on either side north or south of the Nawarat bridge or even the bridge itself would be best. There's food and drink for sale all over but be careful of the idiots who disregard the safety of others by throwing fireworks willy nilly.

Happy Loi Krathong!

Hi,

This is my first time in Chiang Mai during Loi Krathong... Can u guys tell me what's the place to be tonight?

I have no indea where all those celebrations are being held..

Thanks

:D

Bearing in mind the whole event is sponsored by Acme respirators and Ace throat lozenges Stay in your hotel. Last night was just a dress rehearsal of the SNAFU that will occurr tonight, although if you have a gas mask anywhere along the ping will sufice, good luck. :o

And if you think there's a lot of "bah humbug" around here jobje3, just you wait until Songkran comes around. :o

If you know anyone with a high rise condo in town then that's quite a good way to get a civilised view of the evening, if not just get stuck in along the river. Don't even think about trying to use a vehicle.

Have a good one!

JxP

Anywhere along the riverbank on either side north or south of the Nawarat bridge or even the bridge itself would be best. There's food and drink for sale all over but be careful of the idiots who disregard the safety of others by throwing fireworks willy nilly.

Happy Loi Krathong!

Be careful about actually standing on the bridge. They fire rockets from one side of the river to the other, but most don't reach. However, they will reach the centre of the bridge. Last year one went off course and hit a Thai woman who was on the bridge, in the face, I understand she subsequently lost her eye!

Sorry that I missed you last night Tigerbeer!

IMHO Loi Krathong used to me MUCH worse a few years ago - other than near the river. Back then, I would lock myself in my room for 3 days at 6 PM. Now, I go out and have dinner first.

Edited by Ulysses G.

J3, You could Songtaew to the Night Bizzare area, and then walk down Loy Kroh to the iron bridge and cross there, then walk upriver to the Riverside Bar area. You would see a lot, that is for sure. The bike might be more hassle than it is worth. Another nice thing to do, and one which I will do tonight, is to find a nice outside restaurant or rooftop restaurant on the west side of the city and just watch all the fire balloons. It is quite beautiful and a very unique event on the planet. Enjoy Chiang Mai!

Sorry that I missed you last night Tigerbeer!

IMHO Loi Krathong used to me MUCH worse a few years ago - other than near the river. Back then, I would lock myself in my room for 3 days at 6 PM. Now, I go out and have dinner first.

UG, sorry i missed it too. I was so stuck between Tapae and Night Bazaar area trying to get a friend of mine a tattoo. Was such a turn off when I could not take my car out of the area. know you guys had lots of fun. just my luck.

anyways. last night i did head out to the nawarat bridge area. right in front of dukes to be exact. went with wife, friend and my kid to lay them krathongs. stairs leading to the river was broken. wife fell right through and luckily ended up with some minor bruises. fireworks got my kid totally scared after they were exploding just inches away.

thats it, am not going there anymore unless am alone and know i can take care of myself.

TB

I went to a small village on the Samoeng Road, where there's a temple next to a small stream.

Thinking this would be less insane an environment than in town.

This wasn't the case though.. Still loads of drunk guys throwing fireworks all over the place, and the usual temple fair mayem.

I really like that when I'm by myself, but with family and kid, it just didn't work.

Oh well, better luck next year. I'll keep trying.

We always head down to the stretch of riverbank south of Rimping Condo, just south of the bridge. Arrive about 6pm, good atmosphere, sit on mats , eat some grub, drink some beer, do the kratong thing etc. Took the 3 yr old this year, he loved it. Just be sure to leave before 8pm when it all starts to go crazy....

Drove all the way to the river, easy to park. Go early, best advice.

Too late to let you know this year, but next year you'll know :o

We had a good time last night at a relatively new bar on the river, called Tara Bar, although they were not sufficiently prepared for the massive amount of guests, and happened to run out of water in the middle of the night. :o

So apart from the fact that we had to wait for 1.5 hours to get our food and that the restrooms had no water, we had an excellent time and will probably go there again some time soon.

There were also two good Thai live bands playing, the first one played trad jazz classics, and the second one was along the same lines as the bands that used to play in Cottage 2-3 years ago - i.e. technically very skilled and experienced bands with fairly decent singers, playing mostly Thai contemporary hits with a sprinkle of Western top 40 from the last 20-30 years thrown in.

The deep-fried taptim fish fried with lemongrass tasted great, as did the kaeng liang kung. The house wine was slightly overpriced for the taste which was only average - Buonissimo's house wine is both cheaper and better - but the view is superb (roof terrace in three sections with several trees) and the overall ambiance and service very good.

Most restaurants along the river give you the opportunity to float your krathong in a more pleasant environment than what you'd get around Nawarat (Narok) bridge.

Sailed our wee boat in the bath and then headed down to the 'old Sarjant' for a couple of ....1-90p a pint (carlsbergs)

All the pubs over 'ere have got the Crissie decs up and running and the old weather is turning cold ...hit freezzing the other night so might need to turn on the central heating ...soon....

Happy L.K. :o