Usb Flash Drive

Totster

My USB flash drive causes my PC to freeze. It works fine on other computers.

I have various other USB leads connected at the same time, could this be the problem ?

Totster :D

I doubt this is the problem, but....

Last week i was fixing a pc for a local company and it froze when i inserted my usb key. 100% frozen, not even cursor movement. Then it happened again when i touched the open case with one of the metal side panels I had removed. It seemed to be a grounding issue of some sort. I had them replace the outlet with a three prong grounded outlet (and ground it of course :o ) and the problem went away.

Some of USB devices having a "wrong" connection to that metal cover around the connectors and those metal cove are used as kind shielding which works correct if the power system is correctly grounded. In that moment you connect to an source without or even wrong grounding it's act like a short circuit!

If you've an Power Meter you can do an very easy test:

1. check the power between Line and Zero

2. Check between Zero and Case

3. Check between Line and Case

1 should show app. 220 - 230 Volts

2 should show 0 Volt

3 Should show 0 Volt

If 2 shows 40 Volt than 3 will show app. 180 - 190 Volts but that means you don't have Grounding.

Many times on 2 that will show ~100 Volts.

Now start thinking which effect that can have! Most of the damaged Hardware because of short Circuit is because of missing grounding!